This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

If a patient, in this case the President, tells you you can't release information, even if it is the President and the media and others think everyone has a right to know, then you can't release information. If you do it is a HIPAA violation, with a fine that starts at $10,000
    Thank you bam. I am glad a credible source pointed out the obvious.

Comment

• A NY Times reported who flew with the president on Air Force One and and was at the White House on Sunday, including speaking with the president off the record at times (while president was not wearing a mask) but not at the Rose Garden event, tested positive, suspects it was at some point at the WH but has not been reached out to for any type of contact tracing effort.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/05/media...ist/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
        I do wonder if there is a difference between the health care Trump can/will receive at the WH vs Walter Reed. Are there specific things they cannot bring to the WH?
        There might be for your house or my house, but I suspect at the White House they can get almost everything they need. I'm sure they'll basically set up a staffed hospital room with nurses, monitoring, etc. The only thing I can think of is imaging capability. They could do x-rays, by bringing in a fluoroscopy machine, and ultrasound is easy, as there are lost of portable machines now. But if he needed a CT or MRI for some reason, that likely needs to go back to Wally World (that's what the MDs at Walter Reed call it). He could also do it at an imaging center, but I suspect the Secret Service would not be able to vet that fully fast enough.

Comment

There might be for your house or my house, but I suspect at the White House they can get almost everything they need. I'm sure they'll basically set up a staffed hospital room with nurses, monitoring, etc. The only thing I can think of is imaging capability. They could do x-rays, by bringing in a fluoroscopy machine, and ultrasound is easy, as there are lost of portable machines now. But if he needed a CT or MRI for some reason, that likely needs to go back to Wally World (that's what the MDs at Walter Reed call it). He could also do it at an imaging center, but I suspect the Secret Service would not be able to vet that fully fast enough.
          I think the biggest question will be if he gets hospital food or White House food!

Comment

Thanks for that breakdown. Thats what I assumed, but if the reports are he received oxygen at the White House on Friday before going to Walter Reed, why bring him to the hospital as opposed to create that hospital bubble in the WH. Also if they know he is positive leaving to travel I would guess is a risk to secret service and others around him similar to the car ride he did yesterday.

Comment

If a patient, in this case the President, tells you you can't release information, even if it is the President and the media and others think everyone has a right to know, then you can't release information. If you do it is a HIPAA violation, with a fine that starts at $10,000

Rep. Donna Shalala (D-Fla.) corrected former White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Twitter on Monday after he suggested that naming a White House staffer who tested positive for coronavirus violates the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

“It’s one thing to report an additional staffer in the White House has tested positive but revealing their name seems like a violation of HIPPA,” Spicer tweeted in response to a report that Chad Gilmartin, an aide to press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, had tested positive.

“That's not how HIPAA works,” Shalala tweeted in response. “I should know...I wrote it.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...now-i-wrote-it

Comment

I'm well versed in HIPAA regulations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Should do the debates remotely. No reason both should be in the same room..

In 1960 for the third debate Kennedy and Nixon were 3000 miles apart.

https://millercenter.org/the-preside...nd-los-angeles
                  I agree. Either remote or just cancel. But they are now actually going to have Plexiglass

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...-debate-426514

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Rep. Donna Shalala (D-Fla.) corrected former White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Twitter on Monday after he suggested that naming a White House staffer who tested positive for coronavirus violates the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

“It’s one thing to report an additional staffer in the White House has tested positive but revealing their name seems like a violation of HIPPA,” Spicer tweeted in response to a report that Chad Gilmartin, an aide to press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, had tested positive.

“That's not how HIPAA works,” Shalala tweeted in response. “I should know...I wrote it.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...now-i-wrote-it
                    Shalala may say that but I can tell you that's not what we deal with in the real world, and that's not what we are told by consultants. Shalala may have "written" it, as in sponsored it, but like all politicians I doubt she read the entire bill, just as none of them read the ObamaCare (for the record, I read the entire 2,000+ pages) bill. Their aides wrote it for them and they don't read the whole thing.

Comment

Shalala may say that but I can tell you that's not what we deal with in the real world, and that's not what we are told by consultants. Shalala may have "written" it, as in sponsored it, but like all politicians I doubt she read the entire bill, just as none of them read the ObamaCare (for the record, I read the entire 2,000+ pages) bill. Their aides wrote it for them and they don't read the whole thing.
                      I'd exercise caution in revealing any information but it all depends on who's doing the revealing and whether the source was a covered entity.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK

Unless she caught it again (which I guess is possible) This happened back in May
                        Indeed. Missed the date on the story. I've deleted the post.

Comment

• Under HIPAA, cited by Trump's doctor to decline answering some but not other questions, doctors can only disclose personal health information (PHI) with patient's consent. This raises the prospect that Trump told his doctors they could share positive news but not worrying news.

White House doctors releasing his vital signs down to the number, answering questions about how he's doing better. Then asked about his chest scans, suddenly they invoke HIPAA patient privacy protections and won't answer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshNBCNe...00812395503623

Comment

• Trump has left Walter Reed Hospital

Comment

• Is Trump getting the medical advice he wants rather than the advice he needs?

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...mpression=true

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
                                Trump has left Walter Reed Hospital
                                Ha! That has echoes of 'Elvis has left the building'.

Comment

Working...
                                X