Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Bob Gibson

Heard on the radio that Bob Gibson died, and saw on-line from the St. Louis Post Dispatch that it was from pancreatic cancer. He'd have turned 85 in a month. Others may have had more wins, but I think he was the best right handed pitcher since I started following baseball in the mid-1950s - better than Nolan Ryan or Tom Seaver.

...and now Bob Gibson has passed away. Today was the anniversary of his 17 strikeout game in the '68 World Series. Intimidating isn't the word for him.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...63f29fb4d.html
    Last edited by NotDutra5; 10-03-2020, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Bob Gibson - June-July 1968 - 12 games pitched, 12 complete games, 12 wins, 8 shutouts, 0.50 ERA for those months

Comment

It is still hard to believe that Gibson had a 1.12 ERA for the 1968 Season.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
          Bob Gibson - June-July 1968 - 12 games pitched, 12 complete games, 12 wins, 8 shutouts, 0.50 ERA for those months
          Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

The Brock game was the same game Marv Throneberry was called out for missing 2nd base on a triple. The umpire told Casey Stengel "Don't bother arguing. He missed 1st base too."
            Fortunately, there were less than two out, so Marv still got two ribbies even though he did not get a hit. He officially went 0 for 5 in the game, and also had 2 errors. The Mets lost the game 8-7 and also lost the nightcap of the doubleheader 4-3.
            Last edited by Halfmiler2; 10-04-2020, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
              Unbelievable.
              Absolutely mind bending!!!

Comment

Nolan Ryan wasn't as good as Gibson or Seaver and wasn't as good as a number of other pitchers. He was spectacular though.

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post
                  Heard on the radio that Bob Gibson died, and saw on-line from the St. Louis Post Dispatch that it was from pancreatic cancer. He'd have turned 85 in a month. Others may have had more wins, but I think he was the best right handed pitcher since I started following baseball in the mid-1950s - better than Nolan Ryan or Tom Seaver.
                  Here's the Post-Dispatch obit:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...63f29fb4d.html

Comment

A lifelong SF Giants fan (they came to town the year I was born), as a kid it wasn't really cool to like players from other teams. Bob Gibson was one of two guys I was a big fan of, the other being Sandy Koufax (a much bigger sin because he was a f'n Dodger).

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                      Why they lowered the mound. McClain had 30 wins that year.

Comment

Possibly more incredible is that he lost 9 games in doing so. Clearly didn't know how to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Why they lowered the mound. McClain had 30 wins that year.
                          The NL had only five .300 hitters.
                          The AL had only one .300 hitter - Yaz who hit .301.

Comment

The NL had only five .300 hitters.
                            The AL had only one .300 hitter - Yaz who hit .301.
                            It just goes to show you how much better pitching had gotten over the years. I would imagine if the mound had been 10" in the 1920's Babe Ruth would have hit 85 home runs and Rogers Hornsby would have batted .500.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

It just goes to show you how much better pitching had gotten over the years. I would imagine if the mound had been 10" in the 1920's Babe Ruth would have hit 85 home runs and Rogers Hornsby would have batted .500.
                              I think this type of discussion has been had but I think the numbers guys such as Ruth, Hornsby et al put up showed how extreme the poles were in terms of player depth. That and equipment and athletes. Defensively it is so much harder to hit these days just from the equipment available, the speed of the athletes overall and the ability to scout.

Comment

Working...
                              X