Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    If Phelps could run 400 in 52 secs, then Bolt would have no chance, despite any pleasant surprise. The 100 m freestyle WR is 46+ secs. Even Bolt with a pleasant surprise could not come close to that.

However, I seriously doubt Phelps could run 52 secs. He was primarily a distance swimmer - 200 m and up so mostly an aerobic animal, not anaerobic. The only short event he swam routinely was 100 butterfly (about 50 secs usually). He was at his best at 200 IM and 400 IM, which are almost completely aerobic events.
    Phelps would run sub-50 if he switched sports at 21 and trained for the 400m for 8 years. And Bolt would swim sub-52 for the 100m free if he switched at 21 and trained for 8 years (with top-notch swim coaching and facilities, i.e. not limited to what's available in Jamaica).

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Phelps would run sub-50 if he switched sports at 21 and trained for the 400m for 8 years. And Bolt would swim sub-52 for the 100m free if he switched at 21 and trained for 8 years (with top-notch swim coaching and facilities, i.e. not limited to what's available in Jamaica).
      That is likely accurate but I don't think that's how we were interpreting this question. What could they do at their primes with no training in the other sport.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
        That is likely accurate but I don't think that's how we were interpreting this question. What could they do at their primes with no training in the other sport.
        With no training, Phelps would far and away be better at running any distance than Bolt would be at swimming any distance, just because swimming is a specialized skill which has to be taught just to reach basic competency, unlike running which naturally occurs in every able-bodied child.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
          With no training, Phelps would far and away be better at running any distance than Bolt would be at swimming any distance, just because swimming is a specialized skill which has to be taught just to reach basic competency, unlike running which naturally occurs in every able-bodied child.
          Agree 100%

Comment

Working...
          X