X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Well, to be fair, he is more mild-mannered than even Federer, who is usually a model gentleman.
    Nah Atticus. You got Bambam a good one

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
    Snapped Bambam. 😂😂😂
    Well, to be fair, he is more mild-mannered than even Federer, who is usually a model gentleman.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Enjoy!

Seeing Rafael Nadal angry is such a rare event. Though he is known for his mental strength, never destroying a racket, he can explode when it comes to false ...

Snapped Bambam. 😂😂😂

Leave a comment:

• J Rorick
    replied
    Indian Wells is postponed until an unknown time later in 2021 (if it's held at all). Don't understand why they went ahead and started selling tickets and hotel packages early this fall. Now they have to go thru the process of "refund or credit" one more time. I thought Larry Ellison was supposed to be intelligent. Here's the e-mail.
    Statement Regarding the 2021 BNP Paribas Open
    The BNP Paribas Open will not be held March 8-21, 2021 as originally scheduled. The tournament is proactively working with the ATP and WTA Tours as well as title sponsor BNP Paribas to confirm dates later in the year to hold the event. Details will be released in the near future as plans are finalized.

This decision was made after thorough consultation with state and local health authorities and tournament owner Larry Ellison.
    If they hold it in the fall, the tours will have to cancel their lucrative Chinese/Japanese tournaments (though perhaps China & Japan will still be closed then, making it possible). Don't think scheduling it in the summer works too well in the Palm Springs area.

Leave a comment:

• J Rorick
    replied
    We were looking forward to seeing Swiatek in qualifying this year at Indian Wells - her ranking in January (when the cutoff line occurred) was barely too low to get into the regular draw, and the tournament didn't give her a wild card. Unfortunately, the tournament was cancelled, so we'll have to wait for another time (probably 2022).

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    1) he's an incredible gentleman and perfect sportsman at all times. He is always gracious - win or lose
    Enjoy!

Seeing Rafael Nadal angry is such a rare event. Though he is known for his mental strength, never destroying a racket, he can explode when it comes to false ...

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    This is exactly what Nadal said during his victory interview -

"I want to send a message to everyone in the world. We are facing one of the worst moments ever... keep fighting. We will get through this."

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    My wife always asks me why I like Rafa so much, claiming I have a bromance with him, which is probably true. I like him because:

1) he's an incredible gentleman and perfect sportsman at all times. He is always gracious - win or lose
    2) he's an unbelievable champion - up there with Federer (and Djokovic and Sampras and Laver)
    3) when I watch him play I think of the scene in Rocky 4 when Adrian didn't want Rocky to go to Russia, telling him he couldn't beat Ivan Drago. He said, "I'm willing to die to win this match. I don't know if he is."
    4) along those lines at the 2019 US Open, during some down time, Cliff Drysdale and the McEnroe brothers were filling and talking about the Big 3 and who was the greatest. The consensus was that it was Federer. But then Drysdale asked, "Who would you pick - to play one match, with your life on the line?" The answers came back immediately - "Nadal, Nadal, Nadal"

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Only 2 words today - Rafael Nadal

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell View Post
    She just became the first ever Polish Grand Slam champion. Aged 19, ranked 54. in the world before the tournament, with a prior career high of 48. Today's final, at 1h 24min, was her longest match of the tournament - she won all in straight sets, with an average of 1:12 per match. Did I mention I really love her both as a person and a player? Self-confident, but humble and grounded. A big hitter, but also capable of non-standard plays. Intelligent and fun as well. And the way she bounced from a humiliating loss to Halep in 45 mins at the same same tournament a year ago to a very decisive win over her this time is just the best story ever. Here's hoping this is the first of many major wins of her career.
    Just tremendous. What a game she already has. I always thought Radwanska would win a Major but that never happened.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    I think the psychologist, Daria Abramowicz, deserves major credit for Iga's success. I remember her matches from last year; you could tell she was a major talent, but she just couldn't get it all together. Her game against Halep in Paris 2019 , when she played on the central court in the Grand Slam for the first time, was just painful to watch. She matured incredibly quickly, given her first match on the WTA Tour happened in January last year. The other remarkable thing is how young her team is. Her coach is just 28, the psychologist turned 33 on the day of the final. Neither of them had prior experience at anything like that level.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    For the second time in four years, someone I had never heard of won the French Open. Actually, I had heard of Swiatek, when she beat Halep.I even saw a few games of their match. One intriguing fact about her is she is traveling with a sports psychologist.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    started a topic Iga Świątek

Iga Świątek

She just became the first ever Polish Grand Slam champion. Aged 19, ranked 54. in the world before the tournament, with a prior career high of 48. Today's final, at 1h 24min, was her longest match of the tournament - she won all in straight sets, with an average of 1:12 per match. Did I mention I really love her both as a person and a player? Self-confident, but humble and grounded. A big hitter, but also capable of non-standard plays. Intelligent and fun as well. And the way she bounced from a humiliating loss to Halep in 45 mins at the same same tournament a year ago to a very decisive win over her this time is just the best story ever. Here's hoping this is the first of many major wins of her career.
Working...
X