• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Joe Morgan

Died today - many baseball experts consider him the GOAT among 2nd basemen

definitely in the pantheon of great analysts as well

Comment

Baseball and 2020 - Morgan, Gibson, Ford, Seaver - pretty strong Hall class just this year have left us

Comment

Don’t forget Lou Brock.

Five MLB Hall Of Famers passed away in a couple months.

Rest In Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
          definitely in the pantheon of great analysts as well
          Really? As a player I thought he was great. As an analyst not so great.

Having said that, some analyst/play by play guys are great with their home teams and pretty bad when they are moved to national audiences. Having only heard Morgan nationally, that may be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
            Baseball and 2020 - Morgan, Gibson, Ford, Seaver - pretty strong Hall class just this year have left us
            My father once told me that there will be a point in your life where it seems all of your heroes are dying and another point in your life where it seems everyone you know is dying. For me this is scenario 1....which for me includes significant musicians as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

My father once told me that there will be a point in your life where it seems all of your heroes are dying and another point in your life where it seems everyone you know is dying. For me, this is scenario 1....which for me includes significant musicians as well.
              Yep. I think I at age 89 I am on scenario 2 with all these youngsters dying. Gonna be lonely out here at 100.

Comment

Don't forget Whitey Ford either. I really liked Morgan as an announcer when he did the Giants, and then the A's. He knew the players well.

Comment

He delivered the base hit that won the World Series in 1975 of Jim Burton!

Comment

This one hurts as I grew up a big Reds fan starting in 1970, two hours away in Louisville, and we'd go to a couple of games each year. Morgan really could do it all. His stats for his two NL MVP years, 1975 and 1976, are insane:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...orgajo02.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post
                      He delivered the base hit that won the World Series in 1975 of Jim Burton!
                      Ouch. As a Red Sox fan, that was one I wanted to forget

Comment

Brock, Gibson, Morgan, and Seaver were 1972 NL All-Stars together.

Comment

Ouch. As a Red Sox fan, that was one I wanted to forget
                          And yet, Burton threw a perfect pitch on that hit! Morgan's BLOOP single to center was a lucky shot.

Comment

Don't forget Al Kaline.

Comment

Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post
                              And yet, Burton threw a perfect pitch on that hit! Morgan's BLOOP single to center was a lucky shot.
                              Not sure if it was lucky or just that Morgan was a great hitter who fought off a difficult pitch to hit and did what he could with it. C'est la vie.

Comment

Working...
                              X