Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Not sure if it was lucky or just that Morgan was a great hitter who fought off a difficult pitch to hit and did what he could with it. C'est la vie.
    What if Jim Willoughby had been in relief instead of Burton?

Comment

Boston would have found a way to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by AFTERBURNER View Post

What if Jim Willoughby had been in relief instead of Burton?
        What if Fred Lynn didn't take his position in Connecticut?

Comment

A good time to mention The Machine, by Joe Posnanski, again. Great, entertaining book about the 1975 Reds.
          https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Legen.../dp/0061582557

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

My father once told me that there will be a point in your life where it seems all of your heroes are dying and another point in your life where it seems everyone you know is dying. For me this is scenario 1....which for me includes significant musicians as well.
            That's exactly what I was thinking. I was a big fan of the Big Red Machine. The peak years of Bob Gibson and Gale Sayers were a little before my time but I was dialed in in the early to mid 70's when Joe Morgan, Tom Seavers and Lou Brock were in their prime. Each time one of my boyhood heroes dies is an increasingly melancholy moment for me. 😕

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
              That's exactly what I was thinking. I was a big fan of the Big Red Machine. The peak years of Bob Gibson and Gale Sayers were a little before my time but I was dialed in in the early to mid 70's when Joe Morgan, Tom Seavers and Lou Brock were in their prime. Each time one of my boyhood heroes dies is an increasingly melancholy moment for me. 😕
              Felt the same way when Kenny Stabler died in July 2015 and when Cliff Branch died in August of last year!

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                Boston would have found a way to lose.
                Well...it seems to me that instead of Jim Burton, Jim Willoughby would have been a better choise than let's say, Diego Segui or Roger Moret.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

What if Fred Lynn didn't take his position in Connecticut?
                  According to this look back on that Game 7, Lynn attributed his inability to make the play to the wet field conditions. And his position was respecting Morgan's ability to hit the long ball.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...a13zeox5ammzsh

Saving bam the agony of reading the full story, here is the relevant quote:

Three straight days of rainouts put the World Series on hold between Games 5 and 6. When the players finally returned to the ballpark, the outfield was a mess.
                  “Had it been a day game where the field was dry or had it been on their turf, maybe I get that ball,” Lynn said. “But under those conditions I just couldn’t get there.”

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post
                    Long over that. 2004 and three World Series titles over the next 13 years has softened the pain for Sox fans.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/stat...84403230711808

Buster Olney says Morgan was 2nd baseman GOAT - he certainly knows more about baseball than the members of this board so I'll believe him

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                        https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/stat...84403230711808

Buster Olney says Morgan was 2nd baseman GOAT - he certainly knows more about baseball than the members of this board so I'll believe him
                        Olney may have seen more baseball than the members of this board but the tweet you posted is denigrating the voters.....all who likely have seen more baseball and perhaps "know" more about baseball than the members of this board....for the HOF of whom 89 incredibly left off the HOF voting when he was first eligible.

Maybe Joe is the GOAT but I'd like to hear his explanation as to why Rogers Hornsby would be behind him. Napoleon Lajoie as well although he played in the very early part of the 20th Century. However, I guess if Ty Cobb can be considered as one of the greatest players ever then so can Nap Lajoie.

Hornsby is probably the greatest righthanded hitter in the history of the game and leaving him off the list of GOATs particularly in a one line tweet by a guy who happens to have a pen and no effort to expound upon it in itself should question the author.
                        Last edited by NotDutra5; 10-13-2020, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

According to this look back on that Game 7, Lynn attributed his inability to make the play to the wet field conditions. And his position was respecting Morgan's ability to hit the long ball.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...a13zeox5ammzsh

Lynn played a very deep CF and while he's not the only CFer to do so, it certainly limited his ability to handle balls in front of him. He wasn't exactly Paul Blair or the defensively underrated Marquis Grissom who could practically shake hands with the SS and 2nd baseman while taking their positions and still get back on balls over their heads.

Comment

Kind of unfair to compare anyone to Paul Blair. Me might have been a better defensive CF than even Willie Mays. I don't think anyone played a shallower CF. I mean the Orioles had a pickoff play for 2nd base using Blair.

Comment

Working...
                            X