Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Geography Trivia Question

Stumbled across this:

From which USA city can you travel North, South, East, or West, and enter the same different state?

It's not a trick answer; it just involves some unusual shapes.
    It's easily googlable, but I tried to figure it out first and couldn't (but should have from my upbringing!).

Hint - tandfman should get it.

"same different state" is confusing.... are you asking for 4 different states or 1?

Comment

Spent a number of years living in Wash DC.

DC to Maryland comes to mind.

Comment

I have a bone to pick with the answer.

Comment

Also, having grown up in "lower upstate" NY near the CT border, the southwest corner of CT (Greenwich) comes to mind.

Greenwich to NY, that is, tripping to LI over the Sound.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            "same different state" is confusing.... are you asking for 4 different states or 1?
            Sorry, the question as asked made no sense, "The city you can travel north, south, east, or west and enter the same state". You can leave any interior city and enter/be in the "same state".

'same different' meant travel to a new state, but all be in that same new state.

player has the answer which is listed as Stamford, CT, and its close environs.

What's your bone, gm? I thought it was a great question/answer!
            Last edited by Atticus; 10-17-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Hint - tandfman should get it.
              I've been to all 50 states and most of the country's biggest cities and I never would have guessed Stamford. Nothing came immediately to mind, and when I thought about it, I suspected it might be Cincinnati, but it's not. I'm still not sure where you can be in the city of Stanford and go East to get to the state of New York.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                I'm still not sure where you can be in the city of Stanford and go East to get to the state of New York.
                That troubled me, too. So I looked at an atlas. Going due east you cross the Long Island Sound for about 80-90 miles until you hit the northeast corner of Long Island (in Suffolk).

Comment

I'm still not sure where you can be in the city of Stanford and go East to get to the state of New York.
                  I think if you stand in the Main Quad, next to Hoover Tower, it's vaguely east.

I can't count how many times I've had to explain, 'no, not Stamford, or Samford, or Sanford (places familiar to the other person); it's a college near San Francisco.'

I just smile when I (often) get a blank stare and an 'Oh'.
                  Last edited by Atticus; 10-17-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, and if your finger is on the n key and it goes East, the m key is right there. .

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post

What's your bone, gm? I thought it was a great question/answer!
                      Greenwich and Stamford both qualify.

Comment

One Thanksgiving break (professional school days) when I was living on campus, I traveled back east to NY and ran the local turkey trot, a locally big deal. Whoever read my entry form of course made the translation to the locally meaningful Stamford CT and my place of residence was duly reported as such in the local rag.

As for the OP question, since DC is a city as well as a federal district, I think the question as worded is, at the least, ambiguous as to whether DC is an acceptable answer.

When my DC response did not get an affirmative, I thought about Mr A's comment that his own upbringing should have put him on to the answer. A bell rang, dimly, that he had some connection to Connecticut. I believe it was in response to the post that encouraged a listing of all the places one had lived.

That plus my own connection to the area led to my second response.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post
                          Greenwich and Stamford both qualify.
                          Oh, yes, there's a whole little area there that qualifies. If you came up with that answer all by yourself, I give you A++.

Comment

Yes, and if your finger is on the n key and it goes East, the m key is right there. .
                            I'm usually OK on computer keyboards, but I don't think I've ever done a cell-phone text that wasn't filled with those errors!

Comment

Working...
                            X