Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope Pivots

Pope endorses civil union laws for same-sex couples
    Perhaps this is political, and gh will delete it with extreme prejudice, but I'm a little surprised and very delighted by this. Marriage could be on the horizon for Catholics.

According to the NY Times, this is not such a drastic pivot for him. And I don't think for a moment that it suggests that Catholic marriages for same-sex couples are on the horizon,

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/w...il-unions.html (probably behind the NYT paywall)

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
      According to the NY Times, this is not such a drastic pivot for him. And I don't think for a moment that it suggests that Catholic marriages for same-sex couples are on the horizon
      Less than 20 years is my guess; the cultural tide has already turned, and this Pope seems to be keeping in step with the times very well. [Mixed Metaphor]

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Less than 20 years is my guess; the cultural tide has already turned, and this Pope seems to be keeping in step with the times very well. [Mixed Metaphor]
        Comment from my same sex married sister. We were raised Roman Catholic:

"This is nice, and good for the church, but in this country civil unions do not equate to marriage. There are 1000s of 'marriage' laws in the US that would not be available for civil unions unless laws were changed. The US decision on same sex marriage needs to remain. Hopefully this significantly impacts the rest of the world especially where there is so much persecution still, sadly, that is commonplace."

Comment

The man should first sort the housefull of pedos that his organisation still protects and covers up for

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
            uh oh
            aaaaand, we're gone.

Comment

According to the NY Times, this is not such a drastic pivot for him.
              Apparently, when Argentina was about to introduce same-sex marriage 10 years ago, he (as the archbishop of Buenos Aires) called it "the work of the Devil". So I would say it is pretty drastic, perhaps not in comparison to what he's been saying and doing as the pope, but compared to his prior stance.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

And I don't think for a moment that it suggests that Catholic marriages for same-sex couples are on the horizon,
                Of course not. The Catholic Church wants to be seen as infallible, which means you shouldn't expect it to diametrically change positions within the living memory of its believers. As in it will eventualy happen, but it's likely going to take another 100 years.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

And here I was thinking that a high ranking religious figure was demonstrating the proper spin technique in the shot circle and advocating it over the glide when wearing a tall pointy gold hat!!

https://www.coachup.com/nation/artic...hnique-shotput

https://babylonbee.com/news/pope-lea...er-street-cred

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                    Of course not. The Catholic Church wants to be seen as infallible.
                    That ship sailed over 500 years ago!

Comment

Working...
                    X