Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

in case you need a wacky new theory with which to impress/depress your friends.....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in case you need a wacky new theory with which to impress/depress your friends.....

A Study Shows There's a 50% Chance We're Living in a Simulation

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...-a-simulation/

Originally posted by gh View Post
    A Study Shows There's a 50% Chance We're Living in a Simulation
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...-a-simulation/
    Descartes summed up this sort of malarkey with 'cogito ergo sum'.
    Occam made it clear that the simplest explanation is probably the best.
    Just because Alice went down the rabbit-hole doesn't mean we have to.
    Neo broke free in fiction. We have always been there.

It's not an impossibility, but the odds are electron-microscopically small that we are anything but what we appear to be.

Comment

Male Bovine Feces

Comment

Worth remembering the universe was around for 9 billion years before our solar system came onto the scene, another 4+ billion years before "intelligent" life sprung up on our blue marble. I'd put some money on us being Someone's little game...
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
          Worth remembering the universe was around for 9 billion years before our solar system came onto the scene, another 4+ billion years before "intelligent" life sprung up on our blue marble. I'd put some money on us being Someone's little game...
          The math can't support that. It took the rest of the universe almost that long to settle down, and the distances between 'civilizations' are just too great for someone to poke their nose in our little dirt pile.
          We're not alone in the universe. but we're also not important enough to bother with.

Comment

Actually the math(of time) very much supports it, and stars identical to ours have been born and died before ours was a twinkle in the sky. Indeed we are made of the dust from one of those long dead stars. As for distances being too great, well in a few thousand years folks will look back on us and our technology as we view cavemen. Now imagine what a civilization with several million(or billion) years of technological advancement could do.

Comment

Originally posted by guru View Post
              Actually the math(of time) very much supports it, and stars identical to ours have been born and died before ours was a twinkle in the sky. Indeed we are made of the dust from one of those long dead stars. As for distances being too great, well in a few thousand years folks will look back on us and our technology as we view cavemen. Now imagine what a civilization with several million(or billion) years of technological advancement could do.
              Explain how the speed-limit of the universe will be breached and most of all, why other civilizations would take the enormous time and expense to come to this rock, when there are billions of other places to visit? It makes no sense.
              If other 'people' are interested in us, why wouldn't they just communicate with us? If they are that advanced, 'talking' to us would be childs-play.
              As I said, there must be other 'intelligences' out there, but we are too small potatoes to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                As I said, there must be other 'intelligences' out there, but we are too small potatoes to deal with.
                Maybe. And yep. I decline speculation on such matters. We only live a century or so. Previous generations survived or didn't, and future generations will, or won't.
                Also, I do not understand the obsession to travel imponderable distances to "inhabit" uninhabitable planets to ensure the "survival" of humans. Jillions of species have originated, evolved, and become extinct on our own constantly changing planet. So it shall be with "mankind". Don't worry about it.

Comment

The math can't support that. It took the rest of the universe almost that long to settle down, and the distances between 'civilizations' are just too great for someone to poke their nose in our little dirt pile.
                  We're not alone in the universe. but we're also not important enough to bother with.
                  Come on Atticus. WARP speed, man. WARP speed.

Surely you must have heard of that, and James T Kirk.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                    Maybe. And yep. I decline speculation on such matters. We only live a century or so. Previous generations survived or didn't, and future generations will, or won't.
                    Also, I do not understand the obsession to travel imponderable distances to "inhabit" uninhabitable planets to ensure the "survival" of humans. Jillions of species have originated, evolved, and become extinct on our own constantly changing planet. So it shall be with "mankind". Don't worry about it.
                    Sure, but doesnt the fact that if we could muster enough energy and resources and technology to impoverish the entire globe we maybe could send a man to a distant part of the galaxy so that when he came back he would not recognize the place. We would thereby be sentencing him on takeoff to the most wretched miserable life. Doesnt that excite you!

Comment

Wormhole tunnels, warping (folding) space-time, quantum entanglement, inter-galactic teleportation - like time-travel - all cool ideas. My question is - if anything like this worked as advertised, we'd have had curious visitors in the last 100 years, when science could verify it.
                      The truth is out there, but so far away, the Earth won't exist long enough (we've only got 5 billion years left in our sun's fuel tank) to discover it.
                      I loves me my Star Trek, but it's set a scant 250 years in the future - not gonna happen!

Comment

This Is What Will Happen in the Next Billion Years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbhqHCqjoZ0

Comment

we'd have had curious visitors in the last 100 years, when science could verify it.

How do you know we haven't? How do you know they're not here, or watching from afar,(I suspect telescope tech will be a tad better in a few thousand years) right now? I doubt seriously they'd announce themselves with flashing lights and fanfare.

Also, I'd suggest watching Prometheus for another possibility

Comment

Simulation or not... If we cannot know with certainty why should we be concerned? What would change either way? Personally, given the current state of the world a simulation seems more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                              Simulation or not... If we cannot know with certainty why should we be concerned? What would change either way? Personally, given the current state of the world, a simulation seems more likely.
                              At some point in time, somewhere/everywhere in the world things are screwed up. That is the nature of life.

Comment

Working...
                              X