Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• there's an old baseball saying....

.... that goes something like, "it's hard to believe, but every game you go to, you see something new"

but I've never before seen anything as bat-shit crazy as the game-winning sequence in the Rays-Dodgers game tonite.

We need to have Vince Scully do a voiceover on the end of that game so we can have his voice live in infamy much like it does with the Kirk Gibson HR and Mookie Wilson/Bill Buckner play from 1986....and many more. Anything to get Joe Buck's voice off.

Edit: Apparently 34 years to the day of the Wilson/Buckner play.

Last edited by NotDutra5; 10-25-2020, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Gibson's home run was the last time a Dodger pinch hitter produced a go-ahead hit in a World Series game until the 7th inning of last night's game.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...?ocid=msedgntp

Comment

I've heard there was one error charged in that mess. I would think a minimum of two and possibly another. Maybe they will have it changed today. Best of 3 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam$ View Post
          I've heard there was one error charged in that mess. I would think a minimum of two and possibly another. Maybe they will have it changed today. Best of 3 now.
          You've heard wrong. Both Taylor and Smith were charged with errors on the play.

Comment

Meanwhile...who ever said baseball players were stupid.

Justin Turner went into isolation after finding out he had tested positive. He eventually returned to the field on his own accord. When MLB officials found out, they instructed security to get Turner back into isolation. Turner refused to leave.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jareddiam...54157098455041
            Last edited by Conor Dary; 10-28-2020, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
              Meanwhile...who ever said baseball players were stupid.

Justin Turner went into isolation after finding out he had tested positive. He eventually returned to the field on his own accord. When MLB officials found out, they instructed security to get Turner back into isolation. Turner refused to leave.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jareddiam...54157098455041
              Headline - Justin Turner's selfish World Series celebration is a symptom of a much larger problem

Brutal condemnation of Turner and the Dodgers.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/justin-...152422116.html

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

Headline - Justin Turner's selfish World Series celebration is a symptom of a much larger problem

a poll at the end of the story is running about 3-1 that it was a bad move

Comment

Two passing observations:

1) Seems like the condemnation of Turner is a slightly overblown. He was returning to the field to join the same guys he has been in constant contact with for months.
                  He should have been careful to avoid people who haven't been in the Dodgers bubble but I would assume the whole crowd on the field were likely to have been exposed to him already. Everyone living with the team should be isolated now... seems like the MLB schedule ended exactly on cue!!!

2) Re: Buckner's infamous error. My brother won an Emmy that year for being the camera operator who captured the video footage that got played endlessly. Buckner's misfortune was my bro's good luck... he was just doing his job but had the windfall of covering first base during the game :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post

2) Re: Buckner's infamous error. My brother won an Emmy that year for being the camera operator who captured the video footage that got played endlessly. Buckner's misfortune was my bro's good luck... he was just doing his job but had the windfall of covering first base during the game :-)
                    Similar to the story of how Carlton Fisk's famous waving of his HR in 1975 was caught on camera. IIRC a rat ran onto the cameraman and he stuck with Fisk instead of following the flight of the ball.

Good for your brother.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post

I get the writer's point but one thing completely devoid of mention is emotion.

Comment

There is one thing about Turner: the season was over and could not be postponed due to his actions and presence at the celebration. And even if he gave COVID to any other players, they are low risk and should recover long before the 2021 season. I bet the other players are all ok with it.

How many times can a player celebrate a world championship? But he should have kept a mask on. Did he?

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
                          There is one thing about Turner: the season was over and could not be postponed due to his actions and presence at the celebration. And even if he gave COVID to any other players, they are low risk and should recover long before the 2021 season. I bet the other players are all ok with it.

How many times can a player celebrate a world championship? But he should have kept a mask on. Did he?
                          He actually had it on when he came on the field and took it off at some point. As I implied, in the writers article he completely left out the emotion factor which can lay completely to waste thoughtful action even amongst the most cautious of us which the players may not be.

Comment

How the Dodgers' World Series Celebration Became a Possible COVID-19 Superspreading Event

After testing positive for COVID-19, Justin Turner celebrated the Dodgers' World Series title on the field with his teammates. In a season nearly derailed by risky behavior, this was the most irresponsible moment yet.

https://www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2020/10/...mpression=true

Comment

Working...
                            X