Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP James Bond

Since EGH has closed down TNT&F to bring sanity to the forum, this has to go somewhere, and since Sean Connery once competed in the 1953 NABBA Mr Universe pageant (placement not definitely known), this somewhat fits on a historical discussion.

Sean Connery has died at 90. He was James Bond. There was none before him, there was none after. My wife always said if she ever had a choice of any movie star to be with (besides me), it would be him so that was high praise.

He did a lot of other great movies besides Bond films - Robin & Marian one of my favorites, also The Untouchables - but he will always be the only James Bond. Not my opinion - that's a fact, Jack.

Saw somebody today describe him as the "coolest guy" of all-time. Not sure about that, as Steve McQueen also fits that bill, but a true icon has left us.

RIP

In another thread, I praised Robert Duvall’s role as Augustus McRae, because when I watch Lonesome Dove I think “there’s Augustus McCrae”, not “there’s Robert Duvall”. Well, when I watch a James Bond film, I also think “there’s James Bond” not “there’s Sean Connery”. RIP

Comment

Two icons of my high school days pass about 7 weeks apart, Sean Connery and Diana Rigg.

Comment

What an amazing life, and as we all learned later through countless appearances, he was a master Jeopardy contestant with a fantastic wry sense of humor.
        Last edited by user4; 10-31-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

His most famous line may be " Bond, James Bond." But if it weren't for "they put one of yours in the hospital you put one of theirs in the morgue," no Oscar. He was also criticized for his 'Irish' accent (in Untouchables) though in truth I don't think he was trying.

I never saw "Darby O'Gill" I think the first flick I saw Connery in was the Hitch' picture Marnie and he was good in that.

Comment

What a huge pity. He was a great actor. The films with him were great, but if we're speaking about Bond, then I always preferred Roger Moore. He had more class and suited more for the role for me!
            Bank Opening UK

Comment

Abridged filmography

Darby O’Gill
              The Longest Day

Bond x 6

Molly Maguires
              Murder on the Orient Express
              Time Bandits
              Highlander
              The Untouchables
              Indiana Jones x 2
              Hunt For Red October
              First Knight
              Finding Forrester
              League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Definitely one of my all-time faves.

Comment

Sean Connery was the best, to me, Bond. Roger Moore was good I guess but I will always think of him as Simon Templar more than Bond. The other Bonds who came along I didn't like. It's possible that I just ran out of interest in the brand after Moore.

As others mentioned, Connery was great in a number of roles which weren't Bond roles re-written for a different setting.

Comment

Bonds

Connery - defined the franchise - A+
                  Lazenby and Dalton - place-holders - C+
                  Moore - as mentioned above he was great as the Saint, meh as Bond - B-
                  Brosnan - too effete and in love with himself - B-
                  Craig - redefined the role athletically, which in fight scenes is essential - A

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    Abridged filmography

Darby O’Gill
                    The Longest Day

Bond x 6

Molly Maguires
                    Murder on the Orient Express
                    Time Bandits
                    Highlander
                    The Untouchables
                    Indiana Jones x 2
                    Hunt For Red October
                    First Knight
                    Finding Forrester
                    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Definitely one of my all-time faves.
                    A Fine Madness
                    The Hill
                    The Man Who Would be King
                    A Bridge Too Far

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Bonds

Connery - defined the franchise - A+
                      Lazenby and Dalton - place-holders - C+
                      Moore - as mentioned above he was great as the Saint, meh as Bond - B-
                      Brosnan - too effete and in love with himself - B-
                      Craig - redefined the role athletically, which in fight scenes is essential - A
                      There was only one James Bond. Sean Connery was James Bond. End of argument. All the others were only pretenders.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                        There was only one James Bond. Sean Connery was James Bond. End of argument. All the others were only pretenders.
                        Well, there were ALL pretenders. This is Ian Fleming's original model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoagy_Carmichael

which, not so uncoincidently, looks a little like Mr. Fleming himself.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yWkoacQ12...ch76h4z1b1.jpg
                        Last edited by Atticus; 11-02-2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Saw Dr. No in a New Jersey (Manasquan) drive in. 1963. I had been waiting for the films as my Dad had got me on to Fleming in the 50's. Always liked Connery. Knew his limits as an actor and did well as the rough masculine character. "The Man Who Would Be King" with Michael Caine was one of my favorites.

Comment

I liked The Presidio

Comment

Zardoz anyone??

zardoz.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X