Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College basketball 2020-21

Well, broke down and did it (started this thread), if only to say that COVID is already causing problems with the schedules for the men at U of Denver, Utah, CSU, Tennessee, Gardner-Webb, Northern Arizona, and Baylor, and the UConn women.

Will be interesting to see how the season fares, with the potential for cancellations being great. I expect that the field will be a lot more open by the end of the season, favoring teams with the best medical staff and luck. One thing it will NOT be is boring.

Comment

ESPN taking a page out of the track and field broadcast methods by showing an endless interview of Dick Vitale during the Ohio State vs. Illinois State game.

Comment

As if the country, nay, the planet, were not suffering enough. Dick Vitale without adult supervision.

Comment

NCAA isn't buying Louisville's response to allegations following bribery scandal when Rick Pitino was coach

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...Fl2bPZZ6ieevCg

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
            NCAA isn't buying Louisville's response to allegations following bribery scandal when Rick Pitino was coach
            Why on earth would Iona hire him after his Louisville debacle? And he's still in the Naismith HoF?! He is toxic.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              Why on earth would Iona hire him after his Louisville debacle? And he's still in the Naismith HoF?! He is toxic.
              $$$$$

Why else???

Comment

From gh's link: "Louisville is hoping to avoid major sanctions in the case but the NCAA's response is a shot across the bow to those aspirations. Further concerning for Louisville brass is that it could in the eyes of the NCAA be treated as a repeat offender, given that at the time of the violations it was serving NCAA probations related to the stripper scandal that forced the program to vacate the 2013 NCAA men's basketball championship."

When is enough enough? When does a school get the basketball version of SMU's death penalty? I guess never, as they wouldn't want to strangle one of the golden-egg-laying geese.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                  When is enough enough? When does a school get the basketball version of SMU's death penalty? I guess never, as they wouldn't want to strangle one of the golden-egg-laying geese.
                  No, they will likely suspend Cleveland State for a few years because of this.

Comment

Kentucky 1-5 for the first time since 1926-27. Carolina, Duke, Louisville, Kentucky all out of the top 20 for the first time since who knows when. Don’t have the time to do the research on that but I would bet it’s back to sometime in the early 1960s.

Comment

I'd guess Vic Bubas' Duke teams would have been in top 20 back then.

Comment

Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
                        I'd guess Vic Bubas' Duke teams would have been in top 20 back then.
                        From about 1963-67, yes, that's likely correct

Comment

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duke/
                          OK, I thought Duke’s good run in the 1960s was the latter half but it was the first half of the decade.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                            https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duke/
                            OK, I thought Duke’s good run in the 1960s was the latter half but it was the first half of the decade.
                            Yeah, I started undergrad there in 1969 and we were mediocre at best during my 4 years. I think we played once in the NIT during my college years. Med school wasn't much better because I started the same year as Krzyzewski during his lean years when they were calling for him to be fired.

Lil story about that - fall 1981, I go down to the IM building to play pick-up basketball with a couple fellow med students. In the first 2 games I'm guarding this slightly older guy, and he's guarding me. He was OK but nothing great by any means (I was a decent high school player - no star). After a couple games we go out to the water fountain to get a drink before the next game, and one of my fellow students says, "You know who you've been guarding, don'cha? That's the basketball coach." My answer, "Basketball coach of what?" It was Coach K but I really didn't recognize him. He'd only been there 1 year and had made no impression on me. We played a couple more games and both went on our way.

Comment

Duke women end basketball season amid virus

“The student-athletes on the Duke women’s basketball team have made the difficult decision to conclude their current season due to safety concerns,” said Michael Schoenfeld, Vice President for Public Affairs & Government Relations and Chief Communications Officer for Duke University.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-source...203225306.html

Comment

Working...
                              X