Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am curious as to how much of the troubles the "big boys" are having this year is a reflection of the changes to the NCAA rules. UK shows spurts of great play, interspersed with wide spans of sleep-walking. All four teams being so down in the same year, and after being on top merely months ago, indicates something systemic, to me. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post

There must be some of that. Even I and a couple of my diehard UNC friends just aren't that enthused this season. Also, when there are cardboard cutouts in the stands and you can hear the ball hitting the floor when guys dribble, the excitement is less.
      Yep. I am discovering the lack of spectators/crowd noise/reaction to action is a significant factor in my enjoyment of all sports. Cancelations, re-schedules, unequal participation screws up the rankings and standings. Forced overlapping of sports dilutes attention. A year to forget.

Comment

OK, put this on the wrong thread a minute ago.

UNC-Miami postponed because two bonehead UNC players partied hearty maskless after beating Duke Saturday:
        https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/0...maskless-party

Already several apologists for the two in the media, such as:
        https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...249105750.html

My god, they have been afforded the privilege of playing for one of the greatest college sports programs ever, and are having their four years in Chapel Hill paid for. What don't they understand about the responsibility that comes with that? I imagine Roy Williams has hammered home the privilege, the responsibility, the rules, and the consequences, oh, about five times a week for the last four months. Or maybe not. Maybe we should coddle these children, continue to tell them how great they are and that it's not their fault and that there won't be any consequences, just, well, maybe don't do it again. Jeez, I guess it's just impossible not to go out and party! Like taking a dump, it's just gotta be done. I hope Roy benches their asses for two or three games.
        OK, rant over.

Comment

Answer to my ? above - 1961 is the last time Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas (and UCLA) were not ranked in the AP college basketball poll. That is arguably the top 5 programs in history (Duke is #1, of course :-). However, of note, in 1961 there were only 10 teams ranked by the AP. I don't think top 25 ranking started until the 1980s as I always remember in the 70s it was top 20 only. I would bet you'd have to go back to the 40s to find a time when those 4/5 were not among the top 25 college hoop teams.

Comment

More blue-blood bleeding. Against UVA Saturday, Carolina had no one in double figures. First time that's happened since 1966. If Duke doesn't make the NCAA tourney, that will be the first time since 1995.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
              More blue-blood bleeding. Against UVA Saturday, Carolina had no one in double figures. First time that's happened since 1966. If Duke doesn't make the NCAA tourney, that will be the first time since 1995.
              Virginia is touted as the best of the ACC this year yet they got smoked last night by Florida State. Such a strange season, except for Gonzaga and Baylor.

Comment

Just read that Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky have won 53.9% of their games this season. The last time the 4 Bluebloods (literally blue) had a combined winning percentage that low was in ...

Wait for it ...

1915-16 (courtesy of 538)

Comment

Adolph Rupp was 14 years old then.

Comment

Meanwhile...

N.C.A.A. Basketball Tournaments Will Welcome Fans After All

Some epidemiologists say it’s a bad idea, because the games will attract people from all over the country to Indianapolis and San Antonio, the cities that will host every game of the men’s and women’s tournaments.

“I can’t see any good reason to do that, and I can see a lot of bad reasons to do that,” said John Swartzberg, a professor emeritus at the University of California, Berkeley, who has studied infectious diseases and served as an adviser for the Pac-12 Conference. “Bringing people from all over the country to a congregate setting is just nuts.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/19/s...ment-fans.html

Comment

Well, my friends, just when we are getting good numbers following the holiday spikes here in the US. This is why we can't have nice things.........

Comment

Working...
                      X