Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! Always a headline when one of the stellar coaches leaves.

On a separate note, all flights between Lexington, KY and the state of North Carolina are cancelled for the forseeable future.

Comment

• I wonder if Coach K and Jim Boeheim might not be far behind?

Comment

• There has been a lot of speculation on the internet about Coach K, and Coach B is getting close to his expiration date. When talking about those two, and a few others, I feel like we are discussing giants. And with the potential changing of the college game discussed elsewhere here, we may not see this type of dominance among select schools/coaches. It will be interesting to see who will step up to fill their shoes.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrJay View Post
          Great, great coach and seemed to always be a class guy

Comment

• I agree bambam. He stepped into a program with big shoes to fill and made them his own.

Comment

• Meanwhile....

In the throes of an infractions process that has resulted in major allegations from NCAA enforcement, which could lead to huge penalties, Kansas has up and given Self—who is personally charged with a Level I violation—a lifetime contract. It’s a rolling five-year deal that specifically states he cannot be fired for cause due to NCAA sanctions. It is impressively brazen, and also extremely on-brand for the school that claimed victimhood in the federal corruption scandal, sued Jim Gatto, broke out the money cannons for Midnight Madness, and then complained that the scandal has hurt recruiting.

I mean, at least Kansas isn’t trying to be something it’s not. It is admitting that winning is all that matters and skipping the pretense. The school release announcing Self’s lifetime contract is appropriately devoid of the usual puffery about “integrity” and “character” and “academics” and “doing it the right way.”

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021...mpression=true

Comment

• Good grief...

The school is facing five Level I allegations—the most severe the NCAA can hand down—related to men’s basketball. Among them are a lack of institutional control charge and a lack of head coach control charge that is aimed directly at Self. The NCAA also has a long list of aggravating factors in the case and a short list of mitigating factors, which means the potential penalties could skew to the high end of the NCAA penalty matrix.

In an aggravated case, the postseason ban penalty is two to four seasons. If the NCAA hits Kansas with a four-year ban, even Coach For Life Bill Self would struggle to keep the program relevant.

Comment

• Self's deal looks like a series of one year contracts in which they can give him one year pay to go away.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                    Self's deal looks like a series of one year contracts in which they can give him one year pay to go away.
                    I think its more like what was mentioned by somebody above - a rolling five-year deal that adds on a new year each successive year

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I think its more like what was mentioned by somebody above - a rolling five-year deal that adds on a new year each successive year
                      According to everything I've read, he can be bought out at any point with the buyout being one years pay plus some other non guarantees ($5.4mil-$7mil)). So he's guaranteed 2 years pay and guarantees himself another years pay for every year he goes without a buyout. They can call it whatever they want. His buyout is actually less than a number of other coaches.

Comment

• If you read the whole article....

It’s a rolling five-year deal that specifically states he cannot be fired for cause due to NCAA sanctions.

About the only area of Self’s new contract in which the school does not prostrate itself before its star coach is when it comes to buyout. Kansas would only owe him $5.41 million, his full single-year compensation, to part ways. That’s not a prohibitive number—but it’s also not insignificant for a school that has hemorrhaged money for football coaches, athletic directors and NCAA legal fees in recent years.
                        Last edited by Conor Dary; 04-03-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Gonzaga/UCLA was the first game I watched all year (well, half of it, in spurts) and once again reminds me why March Madness blows all other collegiate sports away (sorry, that includes track)

Comment

• I’ve followed college basketball since 1970, my mom is a Kentucky alum I grew up liking both Kentucky and Louisville, was at Carolina all three years that Michael Jordan was there, then at Duke for med school. Seen lots of amazing college basketball games. This one has to be in the top 10, maybe even the top five.
                            Last edited by DrJay; 04-04-2021, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                              Gonzaga/UCLA was the first game I watched all year (well, half of it, in spurts) and once again reminds me why March Madness blows all other collegiate sports away (sorry, that includes track)
                              Coming from gh, whose favorite meet is the NCAA outdoor championship, that speaks volumes.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post
                                Gonzaga/UCLA was the first game I watched all year (well, half of it, in spurts) and once again reminds me why March Madness blows all other collegiate sports away (sorry, that includes track)
                                You picked a goodun. Zags/Bears may be a sequel.

Comment

Working...
                                X