X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Hank Aaron

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-hall-of...154633738.html

Braves legend Hank Aaron dies at age 86, daughter says

ATLANTA — He is the one man that Muhammad Ali said he idolized “more than myself.” He became known to the world as “Hammerin’ Hank.”
    Legendary Atlanta Brave and Major League Baseball record holder Hank Aaron died Friday at the age of 86, according to Aaron’s daughter.

Comment

I was lucky enough to be in Atlanta on a business trip, so I went to the ballpark for a game and saw him hit # 713, at the end of the 1973 season.
      Last edited by dukehjsteve; 01-22-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
        I was lucky enough to be in Atlanta on a business trip, so I went to the ballpark for a game and saw him hit # 713. 1974 I think.
        #713 was the last of his 1973 season. A real hero. RIP

https://www.al.com/sports/2015/04/th..._where_of.html

Comment

One of my childhood heroes. Even though I was a Reds fan, the two baseball cards I wanted before getting Bench, Morgan, etc were undoubtedly Aaron and Mays. In 1973, my Dad got tickets to a Braves-Reds game in Cincy, August or Sept, hoping he'd be close to 714. He was at 710 and doubled off the outfield wall. Edit: I forgot he only pinch-hit that day: https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...97309160.shtml

Numbers never lie:
          https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...aronha01.shtml
          Last edited by DrJay; 01-22-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

my favorite player in the late '50s

Comment

1997 op-ed piece by Aaron, on Jackie Robinson and the breaking of the color-barrier in baseball.
              https://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/13/o...gtype=Homepage

Comment

As a Giants fan growing up in the '60s in the Bay Area I was just a bit partial to Willie Mays in the Mays vs. Aaron battles, but respected Hammering Hank's body of work, both during and after his playing days. The sport has lost a king . . .

Comment

Vince Scully's call of 715 by Hammerin' Hank https://twitter.com/pkedit/status/1352647211553722368

He is and always will be an absolute legend here in Atlanta. Pure class.

Comment

This is truly a sad day for baseball fans everywhere!
                    One of--if not THE--greatest players ever!
                    His standings on All-Time lists in almost every batting category is a statement of his greatness all by itself!
                    A little anecdote---
                    Many times over the years when I'm asked my name, I say "Aaron--brother of Moses--or like Hank Aaron, the baseball player!".
                    That's because many times people mistook it for Erin or whatever---thus the added explanation!!

Before T&F came along in 1962, baseball was my favorite sport
                    Other than Willie Mays---who is still living--Aaron was my favorite player!

Rest in Peace

Comment

#1 all-time in home runs
                      #1 all-time in total bases - by a large margin over Stan Musial
                      #1 all-time in runs batted in
                      #4 all-time in runs scored
                      #4 all-time in runs created

He was pretty good. Also he played with grace, class, and dignity despite all the racist hate mail he received for breaking Babe Ruth's record. Stunned me in 1974 and stuns me still that people could hate like that simply because of the color of his skin.

Comment

There's a nice quote of his at the Louisville Slugger Museum in Louisville (well wotrh the visit, and to the bat factory as well):
                        "The pitcher just has a ball. I have a bat."

Comment

During my neurology residency, I had a good fortune to meet Sir John Eccles, arguably the greatest neurophysiologist of 20th century. The topic debated was cerebellar function, therefore coordination. To Sir John, the best example of coordination was Hank Aaron. Incidentally, my best example is a coloratura soprano.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                            #1 all-time in home runs
                            #1 all-time in total bases - by a large margin over Stan Musial
                            #1 all-time in runs batted in
                            #4 all-time in runs scored
                            #4 all-time in runs created

He was pretty good. Also he played with grace, class, and dignity despite all the racist hate mail he received for breaking Babe Ruth's record. Stunned me in 1974 and stuns me still that people could hate like that simply because of the color of his skin.
                            Also forgot

#3 all-time in hits

Comment

Not so sure about this...

#1 all-time in home runs

Comment

Working...
                              X