Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP: Hal Holbrook 95

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/02/enter...bit/index.html

I was fortunate enough to see his one-man Mark Twain show in college in Chapel Hill. It was wonderful.

Comment

I saw that show on Broadway. Yes, it was wonderful.

Comment

My favorite is in the Clint Eastwood movie, where he's a bad cop, and Eastwood blows him up in his car !

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve View Post
          My favorite is in the Clint Eastwood movie, where he's a bad cop, and Eastwood blows him up in his car !
          Sudden Impact

Comment

Capricorn One....and of course Follow the Money...and

"Forget the myths the media created about the White House. The truth is, these aren't very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

I saw the name and it rang a bell, then I saw a picture and realised that I'd seen him in quite a few movies and he was excellent in all of them. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post
                I saw the name and it rang a bell, then I saw a picture and realised that I'd seen him in quite a few movies and he was excellent in all of them. RIP.
                Certainly not a household name in Britain...

He had a small but memorable role in The Sopranos..

Comment

I saw him in his role as Mark Twain at least 4 times, and enjoyed those performances. As I recall, he spoke to people who had actually known Twain, including Twain's daughter, who was still alive, and lived in San Diego, and he had tried to replicate Twain's accent and mannerisms.
                  The last performance that I might have seen was scheduled for Virginia City, where Samuel Clemens had lived as a young man, and where he began using his nom de plume, Mark Twain , while writing as a reporter for the Territorial Enterprise. Unfortunately, I think that performance was cancelled, but I've forgotten why.

Comment

Magnum Force:
                    IDK if John Milius wrote both DH/MF but the first was a reaction to Miranda rights and the second seemed to take it to another level of vigilante cop behavior. Only to be stopped by "Harry" of course. Holbrook was very good though he may be better remembered by the wine/cheese set (not magnum fans) for All the President's Men (Deep throat).
                    Last edited by Adam$; 02-04-2021, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Hal Holbrook also played husband to real life wife Dixie Carter on the tv show Designing Women.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Certainly not a household name in Britain...

He had a small but memorable role in The Sopranos..
                        I think most Brits who were aware of him, would think of him as a character actor.

Comment

Working...
                        X