• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook shuts down Australia

The battle is on.
    Who will win?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/healt...-public-health

The Australian government's position is absurd, that Facebook and others should pay news sites merely for linking to their content.

Then when Facebook blocks the sharing of links to news sites, the site owners are going to complain about the reduced traffic to their sites.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 02-18-2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Traffic is definitely reduced

Comment

Facebook’s New Look in Australia: News and Hospitals Out, Aliens Still In

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/b...alia-news.html

Comment

Can't read the NY Times behind their paywall. Must be sympathising with FB. 😂😂

Comment

The Daily Telegraph headline, "Thanks for the memories, FB, but you can Zuck yourself."

The AUS government doesn't care about news as a public good, they are just doing this at Murdoch's request. I really don't care, because I don't use Facebook and haven't bought a Murdoch rag in more than a decade.

I'd have to question the sanity of anybody relying on either for in anyway accurate news.

Comment

Newspapers continue to go the way of the dinosaurs.

Sorry El Toro, obviously FB don't like dinosaurs. Shouldn't be surprised as I believe the Labour Party consider Scott Morrison to be a tyrannosaurus

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Sorry El Toro, obviously FB don't like dinosaurs. Shouldn't be surprised as I believe the Labour Party consider Scott Morrison to be a tyrannosaurus
                Locally yes....but the Times and Post are doing very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

Tsk, tsk, Tauriki. It's "Labor" in Australia and "Labour" in UK and NZ. We're too cowardly to get rid of the monarchy but boy did we give that "u" what for!

The big problem with social media apart from tracking everything you do whether you want it or not, is that it enables all the dickheads. Just like it's easier to kick over a sandcastle, or burn a house down rather than build one, being a dickhead is much easier than being a conscientous citizen.

Murdoch also enables the same crap through print and TV, so take money from one serial liar of a billionaire to prop up the equivalent activities of another? It's not solving the problem of a broken media.

Bad always drives out good in every field of human endeavour because the bad don't waste energy on thinking so they can use that energy for shouting bullshit.

Now where's that asteroid for Rupe, Zuck and families?

Comment

Perhaps Rupe and Zuck should be despatched fortwith to the Red Planet to bring back those rocks. That would give us all a breather for a while.

And at least we don't have Fox News

Comment

Originally posted by El Toro
                      Bad always drives out good in every field of human endeavour because the bad don't waste energy on thinking so they can use that energy for shouting bullshit.
                      Dark Helmet to Lonestar in "Spaceballs".
                      "Bad will always triumph, because good is dumb."
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The Onion has something to say about this:

Headline - Facebook Takes Down All Posts Spreading Misinformation About Fictional Nation Of ‘Australia’

https://www.theonion.com/facebook-ta...ion-1846301464

Comment

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/23/97042...ustralian-regu
                          Back on "friendly" terms I guess.

Comment

Good. It is always disappointing to see billionaires arguing.

Comment

Working...
                            X