Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post

I don't remember when the Broad Jump became the Long Jump but when we competed in the Broad Jump 70 years ago, I don't recall that ever crossed my mind until the name was changed. . BTW, who changed the name?
    changed about '63, as I recall..... IAAF change (also hop step & jump to triple jump)

Comment

I assume the old name of broad jump was derived from earlier competitions in which participants attempted to jump the breadth of a stream, ditch or dyke? I suspect sometime in the 20th Century, the IAAF declared the official name the long jump and that name gradually replaced broad jump where previously that name was used. I have a British book that was published in 1956 that calls it long jump but the triple jump was still the hop, step and jump.

Comment

The ATFS started using Long Jump in the 1953 annual (52 was Broad Jump)
        HSJ changed to Triple Jump in the 1962 Annual.

T&FN reversed the order by switching to Triple Jump in the July 63 issue, and the Long Jump in the Jan 65 issue.

found this

A member of the Olympic Committee admitted to Robert W. Creamer that “We changed it [the name of the event] because of the connotation.” Creamer, a friend as well as a leading sportswriter (he was an editor of Sports Illustrated and also the author of Stengel: His Life and Times and other books), continued in a letter to me: “He [the committee member] went on to point out that in French and Italian and so on it was called the ‘long jump’ and the shot put is a ‘throw,’ so the shifting of just one uniquely English term implies an overprotective concern for the niceties.”
        Last edited by Atticus; 02-20-2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          The ATFS started using Long Jump in the 1953 annual (52 was Broad Jump)
          HSJ changed to Triple Jump in the 1962 Annual.

T&FN reversed the order by switching to Triple Jump in the July 63 issue, and the Long Jump in the Jan 65 issue.

found this

'"[A member of the Olympic Committee admitted to Robert W. Creamer that “We changed it [the name of the event] because of the connotation.” Creamer, a friend as well as a leading sportswriter (he was an editor of Sports Illustrated and also the author of Stengel: His Life and Times and other books), continued in a letter to me: “He [the committee member] went on to point out that in French and Italian and so on it was called the ‘long jump’ and the shot put is a ‘throw,’ so the shifting of just one uniquely English term implies an overprotective concern for the niceties.”"
          The source of that quote also cites references like Encyclopedia Britannica and World Almanac as examples of the change being effective around 1967 or 1968. Also includes some etymology and usage information on the term "broad."

https://dictionaryblog.cambridge.org...the-long-jump/

Comment

Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

Of course, when he took up the event it was called the Broad Jump.
            Not in German
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
              Not in German
              The closest translations of Weitsprung are 'Wide Jump" or "Far Jump".

My fave is the PV, which is the Pole High Jump.

Comment

What was the title of this thread again???????

Comment

Well an apropos but rather ominous name I just thought about is Houston McTear, who was once a WR holder in the 60m.

Comment

Athing Mu??????

Comment

Originally posted by xw View Post
                      Well an apropos but rather ominous name I just thought about is Houston McTear, who was once a WR holder in the 60m.
                      except it's pronounced Mc-teer

Comment

not "apropos" but nonetheless too great a name to go unremarked. 12th in the Russian Indoor shot

Valeriya Chernobyl

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
                          not "apropos" but nonetheless too great a name to go unremarked. 12th in the Russian Indoor shot
                          Valeriya Chernobyl
                          I understand the crowd just had a meltdown every time she threw!

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Valeriya Chernobyl
                            Did they try to use a Geiger Counter to measure her throws?

Comment

How about today's ACC Mile Champion (3:57.77), Brandon . . . Tubby.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

Did they try to use a Geiger Counter to measure her throws?
                                no, but they did for '18 NCAA 3rd-placer Lana Giger of Stanford

Comment

Working...
                                X