Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lonewolf
    replied
    Although it was some years after I competed, I was aware of Tuariki's somersault exploits but was never tempted to try it. In recent years, I became well acquainted with a university track coach, now retired, a versatile athlete who was a national class long jump contemporary of Tuariki. He said he experimented with the somersault and was quickly converted from a 26-footer to a 24-footer.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Jenner tried it too. Anyone know his (he was a he then) best with it?

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    I remember reading something about Tuariki's jump at the time, and thought I would give it a try. In my little hillbilly town, pre-internet, we had no idea about having to jump from one foot. I started doing it with two feet, and was just clearing the opening of the pit. After the one time when I felt my hair brushing the ground during the jump, I gave it up. Thank God I had long hair!

But that is a great documentary, sir. Especially the reference to fuddy-duddies.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    he saw his old frisbee on a shelf. He picked it up in his mouth and looked at me. I knew he wanted me to throw it even though I knew he couldn't run or jump, and could hardly walk. I threw it for him, about 5 feet in front of him. He shuffled over, picked it up in his mouth, turned around and looked at me, wagging his tail, remembering the good old days when he could outrun or outjump any dog, and I swear I could hear him thinking, "I still got it." It was one of the last good days he had.
    I'm not crying - YOU'RE crying!

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    More importantly, did he catch the frisbee?
    My favorite, but very poignant, dog frisbee story. This picture is of our first Chocolate Lab - Kamper, named because he was the Happiest Kamper we ever saw, and after Erich Kamper, doyen of Olympic historians. As a young dog, Kamper was the runningest, jumpingest dog I ever saw. He loved to chase frisbees which he especially did up in Canada during my fellowship there. About 8 years old, he developed Bartonellosis, something similar to a tick-borne Lyme disease, and from it, developed severe arthritis in all 4 legs. He could barely walk his last year or so.

A few months before he passed, I was letting him out thru our garage to do his stuff when he saw his old frisbee on a shelf. He picked it up in his mouth and looked at me. I knew he wanted me to throw it even though I knew he couldn't run or jump, and could hardly walk. I threw it for him, about 5 feet in front of him. He shuffled over, picked it up in his mouth, turned around and looked at me, wagging his tail, remembering the good old days when he could outrun or outjump any dog, and I swear I could hear him thinking, "I still got it." It was one of the last good days he had.

RIP Kamper

KamperMajestic.jpg

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Shelia Hudson was the most proficient horizontal jumper, male or female, that I ever saw, extending beautifully and leaving nothing but two parallel size 5 footprints.
    I worked many of her meets including, by grand coincidence two of her ARs, Sacramento, and Atlanta. One summer, when she was training in Arkansas, she showed up unannounced at an All-Comers meet at the University of Oklahoma. I was the only official who knew who she was and she swore me to silence. She beat most of the men TJers and inspired one OU jumper to break 50' for the first time.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    Also, don't know if you guys have seen this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7BclslUyo

Tuariki sent this to me a few days ago and then Grant Birkinshaw sent it to me again a day after that - the Kiwis are nothing but self-promoting! Its trending all over youtube.
    1.4 million views Bill that doco
    If only I could get such a viewing for my immigration business videos.

Birkinshaw and I are going to petition its reinstatement
    Always optimistic
    Not always realistic

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    You want it metric, Imperial, or dog years?
    More importantly, did he catch the frisbee?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Either way, I will convert.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Do we know how far the dog jumped?

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    I want to see that dog do a somersault long jump.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Also, don't know if you guys have seen this.
    Saw that,. great stuff and bravo to Tuarki for pioneering it, even if only for a year.

In the video he talks about his 7.70 jump, wherein his feet broke the sand at 8.40, and 'if only' he could have worked out the kinks, he could have been in the mid-8s (~8.50)

Has it even been demonstrated that was even possible, to extend your feet that far and NOT have to land back on your butt? That has been an age-old conundrum in the LJ . . . if only my butt went as far as I can extend my feet!
    Maybe if he stayed in a tuck, but then your feet aren't out.
    Don't know.
    But a great idea and I argee there should be a way to legalize it. You'd have to land in deep foam to make it safe. Jump into water and have an electric eye measure it!!

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Jumped with two legs. Disqualified.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Do we know how far the dog jumped?

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Also, don't know if you guys have seen this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp7BclslUyo

Tuariki sent this to me a few days ago and then Grant Birkinshaw sent it to me again a day after that - the Kiwis are nothing but self-promoting! Its trending all over youtube.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X