Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mboma (18yrs) - 48.54 (withdrawn from 400 in Tokyo?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    I think SMU's initial choice looks good now. 21.5 is more doable than 48.3.
    There's a lot more to come from Mboma. The conditions really weren't conducive to 400 running today, plus she had no serious competition (Święty was almost 3.5 seconds back!)
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Mboma has this strange assymetric arm action. Something to work on for the future, I'm sure.

Comment

Any surreal performance demands some scrutiny, but we must do it sensitively. And consistently I.e. are we doing the same to Mu etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          I think SMU's initial choice looks good now. 21.5 is more doable than 48.3.
          Mboma also looks like she won't have to expend much energy in the rounds. She does run like Mu. THAT will be a good race.
          She has never ran 21.5 though has she? She knows she has the ability to run 48.3. I still think that she could well do both.
          Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Lover Lover View Post
            If your're shaunae at this moment, what are you even thinking, do I stick with 400 and try to go 48 flat or do I go to the 200 and try to run 21.6 to win.
            Watching this race, 48 flat might not even be enough for Miller-Uibo come Tokyo...

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus
              She sure looked good all the way.
              And she LOOKS like a young girl, if you're implying . . .
              drop this line of chatter and drop it NOW

Comment

Bolt-esque. I can see her run 46 in a few years.
                47s may already be on the cards this year.
                As Powell pointed out conditions not ideal with strong headwind. Swiety ran 51.91 today, and 51.04 just 10 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk
                  https://twitter.com/TigazTheo/status...485297154?s=20

Listen to the announcer (Katherine Merry??) as she came off the final curve way ahead of everyone else!
                  Jenny Meadows.

Comment

Originally posted by MDelano View Post
                    Bolt-esque. I can see her run 46 in a few years.
                    47s may already be on the cards this year.
                    As Powell pointed out conditions not ideal with strong headwind. Swiety ran 51.91 today, and 51.04 just 10 days ago.
                    In 400 that could easily mean strong tailwind too. So it evens out.

Comment

Goddamnit...this young woman is scary effing good.

Comment

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in View Post

It doesn't even out. You get tailwind for 100m at most and disadvantageous winds for 300. Any kind of wind is bad in a 400.

And yes, I also believe we will see her run a sub-48 this year. Even a WR wouldn't shock me at this point.

Comment

In my experience, athletes quite often run 400 PBs with a headwind in the home straight. I think the tailwind on the back straight means they can run a fast first 200 whilst expending less energy and thus are not spent when they reach the headwind. It is rarer for PBs to be run with a tailwind in the home straight as the back straight headwind means the first 200 is harder work than normal meaning that athletes are too tired to really benefit from the tailwind when they get to it.

Saying that, no or negligible wind is probably best of all. Extremely rare here in the UK outside of the occasional summer evening.
                          Last edited by Trickstat; 06-30-2021, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Apparently not, according to the findings in this study:

"The extra energy expended against the wind (say) in the back straight will not be compensated by an equal gain in the home straight."

http://staps.nantes.free.fr/L3/entra...a%20runner.pdf

And I agree (mostly) with what Powell said. You will fight that wind the first bend, down the back straight (say), and for at least half the second bend, so at least 250 meters. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but at some point (half way?) on the second bend, the wind becomes helpful because you are no longer at a disadvantageous angle. This is assuming a wind more or less parallel to one of the straights.
                            Last edited by 1.609; 06-30-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Does she even know how to run a controlled race?
                              By controlled, I mean running as fast as you have to, to advance from heat to semi to final--but no faster!!
                              Hope her coach instructs her to stay calm during the prelim races, and save something for the final!
                              That's the big question with her---can she make it through the rounds in Tokyo?

Comment

Genetics freaks are born from time to time. Usain Bolt, probably the biggest freak in the history of track and field set WR at the age of 22.
                                And now Mboma will maybe set WR at the age of 18. Something is off here for me. Please, prove me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X