Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mboma (18yrs) - 48.54 (withdrawn from 400 in Tokyo?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beebee
    I don't get the instant baseless skepticism simply because this teenager is from a somewhat underdeveloped Nation...her sexuality, age, the wind in the stadium 🙄
    The comments about wind were that they were not favorable:

Powell said "There's a lot more to come from Mboma. The conditions really weren't conducive to 400 running today, plus she had no serious competition (Święty was almost 3.5 seconds back!)"

All the sprints and hurdles were into strong winds, meaning Mboma probably had the worst conditions for a 400. Since a headwind costs you more than you get from a tailwind, you wouldn't want to finish into one.

https://www.worldathletics.org/compe...esults/7155938

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFpaZ_D0Spo

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

In my experience, athletes quite often run 400 PBs with a headwind in the home straight. I think the tailwind on the back straight means they can run a fast first 200 whilst expending less energy and thus are not spent when they reach the headwind. It is rarer for PBs to be run with a tailwind in the home straight as the back straight headwind means the first 200 is harder work than normal meaning that athletes are too tired to really benefit from the tailwind when they get to it.

Saying that, no or negligible wind is probably best of all. Extremely rare here in the UK outside of the occasional summer evening.
        I would agree that a strong tailwind would be best in the backstretch.

Comment

Originally posted by gm View Post

I would agree that a strong tailwind would be best in the backstretch.
          They would have to be aware that was the case with the wind and pace themselves accordingly. They are also going to be more tired in the home straight and the headwind will cost more, when they need it most.

Comment

Well that settles any question of which way the wind was blowing. Look at those red flags on the back straight.

Comment

And the windsock on the pole vault runway in the home straight seems to be more of a crosswind than a headwind.

Regardless of the wind, this was an extraordinary performance by a very special talent.

Comment

Consider that Azevedo has run 50.6 this season, its not unreasonable to think Mboma coukd run under 48 soon.

Comment

Mboma drops a Mbomb!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                    Does she even know how to run a controlled race?
                    By controlled, I mean running as fast as you have to, to advance from heat to semi to final--but no faster!!
                    Hope her coach instructs her to stay calm during the prelim races, and save something for the final!
                    That's the big question with her---can she make it through the rounds in Tokyo?
                    I also wonder this as she's very young. I get the sense by then she will have it figure it out.
                    Apparently Ignorance is bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

They would have to be aware that was the case with the wind and pace themselves accordingly. They are also going to be more tired in the home straight and the headwind will cost more, when they need it most.
                      What you pick up on the backstretch is more than enough to make up for the loss on the homestretch.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

What you pick up on the backstretch is more than enough to make up for the loss on the homestretch.
                        It isn't. You go slower on the homestretch, so the time loss will be larger than the time gained earlier.
                        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Another thing: Mboma had a RT of 0.342 today, so she could easily gain 0.1-0.15 just from that element.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post
                            Plus, your exhaustion has a visible end. You're more willing to go to the limit.
                            (Altho, when I ran the 440H for the Red Tree Farmers, they were really mean to me and kept moving the finish line further and further away as I tried to complete the race)

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post
                              Another thing: Mboma had a RT of 0.342 today, so she could easily gain 0.1-0.15 just from that element.
                              and she steps out of the blocks. Doesn't drive.

Comment

• Wow, one of the worst forms I've ever seen (even commented on by commentator) but she gets it done to say the least!!

Comment

Working...
                                X