Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mboma (18yrs) - 48.54 (withdrawn from 400 in Tokyo?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• put me in the camp of those who believe that if there's a wind in the 400, it's better to have the tailwind down the backstretch.

Comment

• Originally posted by gm View Post

What you pick up on the backstretch is more than enough to make up for the loss on the homestretch.
      Not if headwinds are more expensive than tailwinds:

"The extra energy expended against the wind (say) in the back straight will not be compensated by an equal gain in the home straight."

http://staps.nantes.free.fr/L3/entra...a%20runner.pdf

The way that conclusion is stated means it doesn't matter which way a headwind is blowing (to or from the 100 meter finish line, "say") , it slows you down more than the same tailwind speeds you up. And in a 400, that means you don't just look precious seconds from the headwind, it takes more energy to get through it, so to have it in the homestretch, seems somehow intuitively worse. It will cost you more in the homestretch because you are a weaker runner at that point, and decelerating. But I'm not a physicist, so these are just my thoughts, with a study that may support them.

Comment

• Did a 400 with a strong wind a few days ago. I can assure you the headwind in the homestretch blew anything I could win in the backstretch out
        Just a casual remark from my modest level and low speed strength of course.

Comment

• Could be just as special if her emotional and mental dispositions match present physical potential similar to those from that region with middle distance performers in global championships.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

Well that settles any question of which way the wind was blowing. Look at those red flags on the back straight.
            You don't even have to watch it - just look at all the wind readings from the meet.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

• 47.60 - she's coming for you...

Comment

• Originally posted by Powell View Post

You don't even have to watch it - just look at all the wind readings from the meet.
                I'd mentioned that on the previous page...the flags just confirm that there was no lull in the wind.

To say we've seen Koch's heir is just stating the obvious. I'm not convinced it's happening this year. That was one huge jump down from 49.22 at altitude worth at least 0.4. Can she drop another second this soon? Unlikely. She's probably going to be capable of 1:50 in a few years too.
                Last edited by 1.609; 07-01-2021, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I'm not convinced it's happening this year. That was one huge jump down from 49.22 at altitude worth at least 0.4. Can she drop another second this soon? Unlikely. She's probably going to be capable of 1:50 in a few years too.
                  Well, she's improved her PB by 3 seconds over the past seven months..

Comment

• It looked like she was running unattached at a HS meet. Those other world class athletes were barely in the frame by the end.
                    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

• The young woman ran 48.54 with an abysmal start and horrible form...with proper coaching 47's easily 😉

Comment

• Originally posted by beebee View Post
                        The young woman ran 48.54 with an abysmal start and horrible form...with proper coaching 47's easily 😉
                        Facts not in evidence and a rather blatant insult to the coach who got her to 48 seconds!
                        But . . . it is obvious there is a LOT more there.

Comment

• Originally posted by beebee View Post
                          The young woman ran 48.54 with an abysmal start and horrible form...with proper coaching 47's easily 😉
                          Maybe a US scholarship.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            Facts not in evidence and a rather blatant insult to the coach who got her to 48 seconds!
                            But . . . it is obvious there is a LOT more there.
                            Maybe that's a good start by your standards, and I believe a more controlled arms motion would improve her already impressive times.
                            Blatant insult? I didn't direct any of my critique to her coaching.

Comment

Maybe a US scholarship.....
                              why would she remotely consider that at this point?

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

why would she remotely consider that at this point?

Great offers, if they came?

Comment

Working...
                                X