Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KDFINE
    Today's New York Times has the "old" goalie Gump Worsley's obit, and along with his disdain for wearing a protective mask, it mentions that he too had a fear of flying.
    Quote from the Wikipedia article on him: "Gump suffered a nervous breakdown in the 1968-69 season after a rough flight from Montreal's Dorval Airport to O'Hare in Chicago, and received psychiatric treatment as a result."

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      Not an athlete, but Hall of Fame U.S. football coach John Madden, of course, travels from one end of the country to another in his own bus because of his aversion to flying.
      My understanding of Madden's aversion to flying involved a bit of claustrophobia. He could handle it on the Raider's charter flights, but on commercial, when he was starting out in announcing, the flight crews wouldn't let him roam the aisles, which led to getting the bus. I wasn't aware of his association with the Cal Poly crash, but that would certainly plant the seed if one was iffy about flying.

Comment

Wayne Gretzky has said many times that he is afraid of flying- he does it(ALOT) but hates it.

Comment

I can definitely relate Maddens version of "fear of flying"... every time I get into coach class and stuff my 6'3" frame in that footlocker they call an airplane seat I wonder who in the world did they design this freaking compartment for, Kim Jong Il ?... at any rate I do all I can to get an aisle seat and I make the best of it, as I will have to in about 2 hours.

paulthefan, reporting from an undisclosed US airport.
          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Jackie Jensen of the Red Sox retired early because of his fear o'flying. NHLer Alex Mogilny also suffered from aviophobia.

cman

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
              I can definitely relate Maddens version of "fear of flying"... every time I get into coach class and stuff my 6'3" frame in that footlocker they call an airplane seat I wonder who in the world did they design this freaking compartment for, Kim Jong Il ?... at any rate I do all I can to get an aisle seat and I make the best of it, as I will have to in about 2 hours.

paulthefan, reporting from an undisclosed US airport.
              My husband is 6'5" and he is in agony for any flight longer than three hours. He flew from London to Nairobi on British Airways (he swears they have less legroom than say Air Canada). He stood in the back of the plane for about 6 hours rather than sit in his seat-and it was an aisle seat.
              I am 5'6" and I am uncomfortable so I can only imagine what you tall people endure. :?
              Last time I flew to London I was seated next to a tiny Japanese woman who folded herself up into a ball and went to sleep looking very comfortable. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
              X