Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Steinman Rock Legend Dead at 73

https://amp.tmz.com/2021/04/20/rock-...mpression=true

So they set up in a rehearsal studio, Jim Steinman and Meat Loaf and Ellen Foley and Rory Dodd, just the four of them, and they essentially performed most of what turned out to be the first record. They did it all live, just the four of them, with all the familiar tropes that would become the video later -- the whole "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" thing, that whole part of it. And they related to me that they'd essentially done this for any producer who would entertain coming to see them, and that they had been essentially turned down by everybody. And I could understand why, because it didn't have an obvious commerciality.

But I saw it as a spoof of Bruce Springsteen. Because the songs were sort of very basic changes, the themes were all... [Laughs.] By the time it was the '70s, the themes were kind of nostalgic. Even though Bruce Springsteen would represent them as still being real, the iconography was still out of the '50s, you know? It was switchblades and leather jackets and motorcycles and that sort of junk. So I saw the whole presentation as being a spoof of Bruce Springsteen, and that's why I decided to do it.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ce-springsteen

Comment

Bat out of Hell spent 522 weeks on the British Album Chart. The only studio albums with more weeks on chart are Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.

Comment

He was a brilliant writer. His work was so lyrical and intellectual. He will definitely be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          So they set up in a rehearsal studio, Jim Steinman and Meat Loaf and Ellen Foley and Rory Dodd, just the four of them, and they essentially performed most of what turned out to be the first record. They did it all live, just the four of them, with all the familiar tropes that would become the video later -- the whole "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" thing, that whole part of it. And they related to me that they'd essentially done this for any producer who would entertain coming to see them, and that they had been essentially turned down by everybody. And I could understand why, because it didn't have an obvious commerciality.

But I saw it as a spoof of Bruce Springsteen. Because the songs were sort of very basic changes, the themes were all... [Laughs.] By the time it was the '70s, the themes were kind of nostalgic. Even though Bruce Springsteen would represent them as still being real, the iconography was still out of the '50s, you know? It was switchblades and leather jackets and motorcycles and that sort of junk. So I saw the whole presentation as being a spoof of Bruce Springsteen, and that's why I decided to do it.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ce-springsteen
          Todd is the man. Not only was it a spoof of Mr. Springsteen but he borrowed E Street pianist Roy Bittan to play on the record.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

Todd is the man. Not only was it a spoof of Mr. Springsteen but he borrowed E Street pianist Roy Bittan to play on the record.
            Putting Scooter Rizzuto on the album was a brilliant touch....

Phil Rizzuto claimed that he never knew that his play-by-play part on "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" was about sex. You must've been there when he recorded his part -- did he really not know?

Yeah, well he never listened to the song. He didn't have any idea what the song was about at all, so not surprising that he wouldn't have understood that he was actually narrating something besides a baseball game. [Laughs.] But that again was a perverse idea that Jim Steinman came up with, because I didn't know enough about baseball to think of Phil Rizzuto. I remembered Phil Rizzuto as the spokesperson for The Money Store, and so I didn't understand why Steinman was willing to spend $5000 to have this guy read this play-by-play. But ultimately it was the gag that put the whole thing over the top.

Comment

Steinman on Rizzuto...pretty comical...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dzKDCu80jcY

Comment

The motorcycle story is pretty good as well. Done with a guitar by Todd.

Comment

Shit man, this is a tough one. Jim Steinman was the dude who wrote every good Meat Loaf song (and a bunch more but we’ll get there). The first Bat Out Of Hell is one of the few albums that I’ve owned on every format, I wore out the tape as a kid too. He had such a unique way of twisting old cliches and making them clever again, of adding musical and opera histrionics to Rock without them ever sounding forced. For Crying Out Loud is, to this day, one of the most beautiful and perfect songs I know. It’s unabashedly cheesy and melodramatic, it’s like if Springsteen knew how to be fun. Steinman is a once-in-a-century kind of songwriter and the Rock world wouldn’t’ve looked the same of he hadn’t been there at the right time.
                  winkybill
                  Last edited by winkybill; 07-25-2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X