Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Documentary explores what men think about Alberto Salazar.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentary explores what men think about Alberto Salazar.

Alberto Salazar is currently serving a four-year doping violations ban and an additional temporary coaching suspension from the United States Center for SafeSport, but a new documentary called “Nike’s Big Bet” questions if he’s really done anything wrong. Then asks about a dozen men to answer.
    https://www.womensrunning.com/cultur...YwfE5fFf2GNudg

What is Malcolm Gladwell doing in this other than a name who would give Salazar a free pass. An embarrassment for everyone involved.

In the film, Gladwell, in particular, shows no empathy for Cain’s struggles nor does he acknowledge the mental health crisis she endured. Instead he questions why Cain’s parents sent her to the Oregon Project in the first place, saying “it’s not like he’s hiding how crazy he is—it is totally on the surface,” as if that excuses Salazar’s behavior as the authority figure in the development of a young female athlete.

Comment

The should have interviewed aaronk.

Comment

Most (all?) of the comments on Twitter were about how only men were interviewed.
        And most (all?) were anti-Salazar!
        For that matter, one NOP woman I never saw comments from (about Salazar & Mary Cain's NYT video, etc) was Trenier Moser (sp?).
        She was very close to Cain, so would love to know her reaction to what Mary said!
        And her opinion of Salazar!
        Hopefully we'll see more women coaching women from here on!
        BTW, I will NOT be watching the show!

Comment

I was looking at this yesterday and apparently it is currently only available in Canada with some online ticket distribution. I couldn't even tell if it was available for streaming or we needed to go somewhere to watch the doc.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I was looking at this yesterday and apparently it is currently only available in Canada with some online ticket distribution. I couldn't even tell if it was available for streaming or we needed to go somewhere to watch the doc.
            This is an amazingly interesting documentary... I am in Canada, and had no problem accessing and watching this film.
            I can't offer any advice on how to watch it, if you are not in Canada. Regardless of which position you hold on Salazar,
            or Nike, or any other parts of this film, I highly recommend that you try and watch ... it is fascinating ! If you choose not
            to watch it, because you don't like Salazar, well that's on you ... but you are missing out.

Comment

Last year HBO's Real Sports did a piece on Salazar, a big portion of which was a Cain interview, which definitely didn't make him look good, as you might imagine. Salazar deserves his share of criticism but I disagree the idea that if not for Salazar, Cain's career would have had the same trajectory as Jenny Simpson's. I think she would have fizzled out just like a lot of child prodigies do.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                Last year HBO's Real Sports did a piece on Salazar, a big portion of which was a Cain interview, which definitely didn't make him look good, as you might imagine. Salazar deserves his share of criticism but I disagree the idea that if not for Salazar, Cain's career would have had the same trajectory as Jenny Simpson's. I think she would have fizzled out just like a lot of child prodigies do.
                Probably ...but she would have had more fun if she had just gone to college and hung out with people her own age. My niece ran against Cain in Hayward once. She went on to a full ride at Wake Forest and had a great time and not a moment of regret.

Running with Salazar's group at that age was a mistake.
                Last edited by Conor Dary; 05-04-2021, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Absolutely UNtrue!!
                  ALL of her many HSR's (both amateur & Pro) were BEFORE Salazar's abusive insanity really took over!
                  I give ALL credit for her success (2011 through July 2014) to her HS coach, her normal rapid progression most teens experience, and to her hard work and determination!!

Then Salazar's attempting to alter her form, along with the criminal abuse he threw at her, began the years long process of destroying her body, mind, and spirit!
                  He should be banned for LIFE, and even face imprisonment for his ugly years of abuse toward Mary!

That anyone is still supporting him is an abomination and aberration on the face and soul of humanity!
                  As the Pharaoh did with Moses, let us erase his name from every tablet, every...!!

So glad she spoke out--as well as Kara Goucher and others!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk View Post
                    Absolutely UNtrue!!
                    Unless you are disputing whether HBO did a piece on Salazar, I think you meant to say "I disagree."

Comment

I think if she ran on a college team her career would be similar to Jordan Hasay or Elise Cranny. And those two would have fizzled out if they went pro at 17 with Salazar (and perhaps any other pro coach).

Comment

Working...
                      X