Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tour of California - WTH? Look at title sponsor...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour of California - WTH? Look at title sponsor...

Just discovered the first Tour of California starts today in the Bay Area and finishes near my house next Sunday. It's got some class riders but look at the Title Sponsor - Amgen - a company in the "forefront of production of EPO"....WTH?!!!!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/cycling/l ... nes-sports

Re: Tour of California - WTH? Look at title sponsor...

Originally posted by marknhj
    Just discovered the first Tour of California starts today in the Bay Area and finishes near my house next Sunday. It's got some class riders but look at the Title Sponsor - Amgen - a company in the "forefront of production of EPO"....WTH?!!!!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/cycling/l ... nes-sports
    They are my largest customer. Ugh!

Comment

"I think Amgen is quite smart to sponsor a bike race," said Shawn Hunter, president of AEG sports. "They are taking a proactive course and getting the word out about a product that is of great help."

For once, I'm speechless!

:shock: :? :lol: :!:

Comment

I sell products which allow Amgen to mix, test and measure their offerings in large investment products our company sells across the globe. This is the first I have heard of our products being used in the "other" category. Most of my A-list customers manufacture disease control products.

Comment

Velonews article
          • In explaining the Tour of California sponsorship, Amgen's chairman and CEO Kevin Sharer said, "We're associating our name with this premier cycling event to underscore the value of a healthy lifestyle, promote medical breakthroughs made possible through biotechnology and to emphasize the proper use of our medicines."

Critics of the sponsorship see it differently. They see the marriage between America's newest (and biggest) bike race and cycling's most prolific doping agent as a union made in hell. A bit like a giant steroid company sponsoring the Super Bowl. But others see it differently.

Seven-time Tour de France champion, the just-retired Lance Armstrong, told VeloNews, "I applaud Amgen for supporting the Tour of California. Quite frankly I am offended by all of the uproar.... At the end of the day, Amgen doesn't make its living off of unethical athletes, it makes its living producing life-saving drugs. And I have to tell you, I have been a consumer of Amgen products as a cancer patient, and I can tell you they work."

Comment

The Tour passed near my house today, so I wandered over. (OK, it is not exactly next door, it was a one-hour hike through a very pleasant park, but close enough.) My vantage point was 27 miles into a 95 mile stage.

Before and during I hung out with 60 new friends (including about 20 over-sugared elementary school kids from the local hippie school) at an intersection out in the woods. While waiting for the bikes to come by we were entertained by the official who swept dirt off the street for 30 minutes (it was at a turn at an intersection).

It was the most exciting 45 seconds in sports: 15 seconds for the lead pack of three, 15 more for the main group, and 15 for the laggard. Then everyone turned around and went home. It was a mildly amusing (and strange) interlude in the middle of a decent workout, and a good excuse not to be at work.

Comment

Today, My wife and I went down for a leisurely Sunday afternoon at the Redondo Beach Pier. We looked forward to our usual affair, watching the boats, having a few beers, her eating some blue crab, and me supping on steamed mussels and clams. Imagine our surprise to find the whole city packed, helicopters circling overhead, and tourists jamming the streets. The reason: the Tour of California finale!

Luckily, after we found a parking space, the tourists hadn't found their way to our secluded hideaway on the pier. A few walked by, though, with kids carrying the Amgen inflatable noise makers...

Comment

If any of you are still awake, ESPN2 is having a 1-hour show about this tour starting in a little over an hour – 10pm Pacific.

Comment

Yesterday I drove over about five miles of the route that was near my house. One apparent tradition that I am sure all of the local road maintenance crews are happy about is that fans and/or support folks spray paint messages on the roadway for the various bikers or teams. Numerous variations of ‘Go Whosiwhatzit’ in various languages all up and down the stretch I drove over.

Another thought: who paid for the 50 (more or less) highway patrol officers and vehicles that were part of the caravan??

marknhj: did you get out to the finish??

Comment

Working...
                  X