Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    It's not the time; it's the nature of the questions. They're looking to get a rise out of the athlete, so they ask things they hope will evoke an emotional response. That line of questioning hurts just the same as if one pokes the broken ankle.
    And of course, post match interview could be bad for a player's ankle.

Petra Kvitova withdraws from French Open; injured ankle in fall during media availability (espn.com)

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
      Does anyone enjoy/expect inane, post-competition interviews of often exhausted athletes? Not I.
      I usually have no interest in these interviews unless the person doing the interview is a character like Muhammad Ali or Charles Barkley or someone who pulls off a historic upset.
      Last edited by jazzcyclist; 06-02-2021, 07:24 PM.

Comment

The only questionable thing about Osaka was why she waited until the event started prior to making an issue of it....of which I thought the tournament responded to poorly. I assume she signs a contract which has the media requirements are outlined. She has acknowledged this to a degree.

Post game/match interviews have been a staple of sports since the days the only way getting any summation of a sports event was by reading about it the next day in the newspapers. It's part of the game and part of the publicity the sports need to generate interest. The questions are inane and I don't like any interviews with active players in nearly any sport since they will be loath to say anything inflammatory. Ex-players are much better at saying more interesting things. Complaining about them sounds like yet another in a series of old guys yelling at clouds response to too many situations.

Hopefully anyone who needs assistance with any emotional issues gets that assistance and, in this case, I'm only referring to the players.

Comment

And let it be noted that after her first (and only) match Osaka was not too depressed, nor too worried about her mental health, to not do the interview with the Japanese broadcasting service, with which she has a contract that pays her for those interviews.

Comment

Comparing Terry Bradshaw sitting out a super bowl with Osaka withdrawing from a major tourney is a ludicrous comparison.
            Anyway, NFL players and coaches with emotional issues regularly misbehave in post-game settings with ugly, combative reactions or walk-outs. Maybe they get fined or maybe not but generally their uncivil conduct simply enhances their reputations as hard guys who brook no nonsense from the press.
            Osaka simply opted not to speak and when fined opted not to play, and in each instance published a thoughtful explanation.
            Seems to me that the ruling elite of pro tennis administration have played a losing hand in coming down hard on popular, attractive, intelligent, very talented bi-national young woman of color.
            Speaking or not speaking to the press ought to be a personal choice, not a mandate from a business enterprise whose motivation is purely economic.

Comment

....and speaking to the press as a promotion of the sport the athletes pay is part of their job as per the contract the players sign which allows them to get paid. A player choosing not to abide by that has plenty of choices to get a game in. However they may not like the size of the paycheck they receive from the local tennis club.

Comment

SI....

Press conferences absolutely have value. That doesn’t mean Naomi Osaka should be forced to do them. Column on athletes, access, and empathy:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rosenberg...57360961396737

Comment

There is a larger conversation to be had here, though, about athletes and media in 2021. As often happens when sensitive stories blow up, some people think they have to line up on one side or the other: You either support Osaka and think press conferences are a stupid waste of time, or you think she should toughen up and do her job. Well, I support Osaka. But press conferences are absolutely not a stupid waste of time. They benefit journalists, sure, but also fans and especially the people in the arena.

Comment

Worst part of pressers? When someone says, "Talk about...."

Ask a decent question. You'll likely get a decent answer.

One problem is most journalists aren't technically savvy (sports version) enough to ask those questions that might elicit interesting responses.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
                      Does anyone enjoy/expect inane, post-competition interviews of often exhausted athletes? Not I.
                      Most sports interviews are complete wastes of time.

Comment

As previously quoted, the only meaningful post-race interview in memory: Mary Cain "I just ran like an animal."

Comment

The worst question I hear too often is when the media person rushes up to an exhausted runner, and exclaims, " HOW DO YOU FEEL ?! "

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                            Comparing Terry Bradshaw sitting out a super bowl with Osaka withdrawing from a major tourney is a ludicrous comparison.
                            Why is it ludicrous? Grand Slam tennis tournaments and the Super Bowl are both the pinnacle of their sport, and she didn't get fined for withdrawing. Players withdraw all the time without incident.

Originally posted by jc203
                            Anyway, NFL players and coaches with emotional issues regularly misbehave in post-game settings with ugly, combative reactions or walk-outs. Maybe they get fined or maybe not but generally their uncivil conduct simply enhances their reputations as hard guys who brook no nonsense from the press.
                            Osaka simply opted not to speak and when fined opted not to play, and in each instance published a thoughtful explanation.
                            As I said earlier, she could have pulled a Marshawn Lynch or acted anyway she wanted to and she would have met her contractual obligations.

Seems to me that the ruling elite of pro tennis administration have played a losing hand in coming down hard on popular, attractive, intelligent, very talented bi-national young woman of color.
                            What the hell does this have to do with anything? Jesus Christ!

Speaking or not speaking to the press ought to be a personal choice, not a mandate from a business enterprise whose motivation is purely economic.
                            Wow, a sports governing body that is worried about the bottom line! What kind of Neanderthals care about money these days? Hell, I'll bet Osaka would play for free if they asked her to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

..... tell the promoters to French Open??
                              F*ck Off...I'm sure you knew that!!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Sleaze sells . . . and unless you actually have some insight and writing talent, trying to elicit some sound bites or dirt is the goal.
                                Yup. From the same charmers that brought us paparazzi. But there is a market for all kinds of crazy stuff that I can't relate to.

Comment

Working...
                                X