X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    I have no doubt that some journalists behave like jackals. That's always been the case.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    Since no one has posted this...

No wonder Naomi Osaka doesn't want to do news conferences -- they can be awful. - The Washington Post

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    We all interpret events through our own lens.
    I can't disagree with this.

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    Weak people are the ones who stay in situations they hate because of money
    With all due respect, this sort of the dogma is the epitome of wokism. Just think of all the implications of this statement. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this didn't come out the way you meant it.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    We all interpret events through our own lens.
    For me, though, to imply that Osaka is " just regurgitating the latest wokisms without receiving tough questions in return" does not represent her actions at all.
    The expectations of the profession no longer suit her, the tennis bosses would not accommodate her, she explained the reasons and walked away.
    So far she hasn't felt any need to respond to questions from her critics... Good for her!
    Lots of people in lots of jobs do that every day and have done so long before anyone coined the term "wokisms".
    Weak people are the ones who stay in situations they hate because of money or the desire to avoid criticism.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    I remember Muhammad Ali saying that he was the only boxer that got asked the same sort of questions that get asked of senators and congressmen, and he said it with pride not resentment. He understood that once he started speaking out on non-boxing issues, he should expect tough non-boxing questions. I'm not sure what Osaka's expectations of the media are but some athletes seem to be under the impression that they can follow in the footsteps of icons like Ali, Authur Ashe, Curt Floid, Tommie Smith, Jon Carlos, etc. by just regurgitating the latest wokisms without receiving tough questions in return.

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

The fact that it was the first round and not the final is besides my point. She didn't get fined for withdrawing, she got fined for refusing to due the post-match press conference, a contractual obligation to the French Open and WTA. I'll bet there would have been no backlash had she withdrew from the final but still did all her press conferences. After all, athletes withdraw from matches all the time for injuries without controversy. It seems that Osaka would have been perfectly fine to play all 7 matches and win the tournament as long as she didn't have to do the part of the job she doesn't like. And as bambam pointed out, she had no problems continuing to do the interviews with Japanese media that she was paid extra for.
    But by bringing up the potential ramifications of Bradshaw (or any other QB) sitting out the Super Bowl, you imply that it wouldn't have been as much of a deal if he had sat out a regular season game. Naomi's withdrawal after the first round actually fits the point. Her being fined for ducking the press conference is another story.

And quite frankly, after reading about a question Coco Gauff got in that conference room, I have no problem with Naomi restricting her interviews to people and press that she knows, paid or not. Again, if the press-conference ask her a question that rubs her the wrong way or gets too personal (or worse, borders on ad hom), she'd be better off responding with "next question".

Leave a comment:

• J Rorick
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

And as bambam pointed out, she had no problems continuing to do the interviews with Japanese media that she was paid extra for.
    She also had no problem doing press conferences last year when she refused to play a match in support of Black Lives Matter. She sought out the media then. She just didn't want to deal with a Paris press corps that didn't ask fluff supportive questions. In fairness, just like the Olympics draws way more know-nothing journalists from around the world than you see at Diamond League meets, the tennis Grand Slams also do, far more than the ATP/WTA tour does.

Osaka is very weak on clay, which probably made it a lot easier to withdraw. She likely would have handled Ana Bogdan in the 2nd round, but she would have had a load of trouble in the 3rd round with red-hot Spaniard Paula Badosa .

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Don't think I saw the numbers previously in this thread. Osaka's earnings for 2020 were $55 million, $5 million on the court, $50 million off of it. Fifteenth highest-paid athlete in the world. While I have empathy for people who struggle with depression...see it often in my practice... my empathy for her feeling that press conferences are too much is a heck of a lot less after seeing those numbers. She could bring her therapist on the road with her, do an hour daily like classic Freudian psychoanalysis, all the resources in the world to deal with it. It's part of the job (press conferences), just like athletes having to notify USADA's testing group of their whereabouts every day.
    She is hugely popular in Japan...so not surprised she has a lot of endorsement deals. I suspect the Japanese don't care if she does press conferences or not.

Leave a comment:

• Trickstat
    replied
    Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

I suspect that when Billie Jean was fighting, she recognized the value of the press conferences.
    Yes, as a means to an end.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    I don't think individual players can negotiate a separate contract regarding the media obligation. That's done by ATP and WTA on behalf of all players. Now it is not impossible for players to negotiate with ATP/WTA to insert certain clauses to the media contract. But that would probably require bigger clout than Osaka's.
    You may be correct but, at least at the moment, who would that be other than Serena? Particularly in Japan.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Don't think I saw the numbers previously in this thread. Osaka's earnings for 2020 were $55 million, $5 million on the court, $50 million off of it. Fifteenth highest-paid athlete in the world. While I have empathy for people who struggle with depression...see it often in my practice... my empathy for her feeling that press conferences are too much is a heck of a lot less after seeing those numbers. She could bring her therapist on the road with her, do an hour daily like classic Freudian psychoanalysis, all the resources in the world to deal with it. It's part of the job (press conferences), just like athletes having to notify USADA's testing group of their whereabouts every day.

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied

If it shouldn't be then she should (have) negotiated the contract as such.
    I don't think individual players can negotiate a separate contract regarding the media obligation. That's done by ATP and WTA on behalf of all players. Now it is not impossible for players to negotiate with ATP/WTA to insert certain clauses to the media contract. But that would probably require bigger clout than Osaka's.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    That's not the power dynamic at play here, just as secretaries used to have to smile when the boss patted them on their bottoms.
    This is a consciousness-raising situation. It will eventually happen; why not now?
    Come on man. I suppose next you're going to compare it to drinking from separate water fountains and riding on riding on the back of the bus.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    That's not the power dynamic at play here, just as secretaries used to have to smile when the boss patted them on their bottoms.
    You're kidding?

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    If it shouldn't be then she should (have) negotiated the contract as such.
    This is a consciousness-raising situation. It will eventually happen; why not now?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X