This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

I suspect when Billie Jean fought for greater coverage she was thinking more of actual matches than press conferences.
    King was fighting for better/equal pay which comes partly from increased media coverage. No one was preventing from playing tournaments in empty arenas with no TV.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s View Post
      A $15,000 penalty isn't an unfair consequence; it's less than 0.1% of her annual earnings. I wish I could skip doing parts of my job and only get a 0.1% reduction in salary.
      There are inane, repetitive, computer-based training modules that everyone at my job has to do that I doubt anyone would do if you could pay 0.1% of you salary to get out of them.

Comment

Simple: Osaka chose not to play and not to be paid. She joins a long list of tennis hall of famers who abandoned the existing structures because they were unhappy with then-current restrictions or demands: Kramer, Gonzales, Segura, Laver, Billie Jean, et al. They were all heavily criticized for pursuing their own best interests.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
          Simple: Osaka chose not to play and not to be paid. She joins a long list of tennis hall of famers who abandoned the existing structures because they were unhappy with then-current restrictions or demands: Kramer, Gonzales, Segura, Laver, Billie Jean, et al. They were all heavily criticized for pursuing their own best interests.
          Not just tennis players but athletes in all sports have been willing to pay fines in order to make a point. She's not unique on this point. Hell, look at Serena Williams and John McEnroe. However, other athletes took the hit and kept on truckin'. The fact that Osaka isn't willing to keep on truckin' is what makes her unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickstat View Post

I suspect when Billie Jean fought for greater coverage she was thinking more of actual matches than press conferences.
            I suspect that when Billie Jean was fighting, she recognized the value of the press conferences.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
              But my point is - it should NOT be. No mental health professional is OK with this status quo, so why should we be? This is not a 'suck it up, snowflake' situation.
              If it shouldn't be then she should (have) negotiated the contract as such.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                That's not the power dynamic at play here, just as secretaries used to have to smile when the boss patted them on their bottoms.
                This is a consciousness-raising situation. It will eventually happen; why not now?

Comment

That's not the power dynamic at play here, just as secretaries used to have to smile when the boss patted them on their bottoms.
                  You're kidding?

Comment

This is a consciousness-raising situation. It will eventually happen; why not now?
                    Come on man. I suppose next you're going to compare it to drinking from separate water fountains and riding on riding on the back of the bus.

Comment

I don't think individual players can negotiate a separate contract regarding the media obligation. That's done by ATP and WTA on behalf of all players. Now it is not impossible for players to negotiate with ATP/WTA to insert certain clauses to the media contract. But that would probably require bigger clout than Osaka's.

Comment

Don't think I saw the numbers previously in this thread. Osaka's earnings for 2020 were $55 million, $5 million on the court, $50 million off of it. Fifteenth highest-paid athlete in the world. While I have empathy for people who struggle with depression...see it often in my practice... my empathy for her feeling that press conferences are too much is a heck of a lot less after seeing those numbers. She could bring her therapist on the road with her, do an hour daily like classic Freudian psychoanalysis, all the resources in the world to deal with it. It's part of the job (press conferences), just like athletes having to notify USADA's testing group of their whereabouts every day.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                          I don't think individual players can negotiate a separate contract regarding the media obligation. That's done by ATP and WTA on behalf of all players. Now it is not impossible for players to negotiate with ATP/WTA to insert certain clauses to the media contract. But that would probably require bigger clout than Osaka's.
                          You may be correct but, at least at the moment, who would that be other than Serena? Particularly in Japan.

Comment

I suspect that when Billie Jean was fighting, she recognized the value of the press conferences.
                            Yes, as a means to an end.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
                              Don't think I saw the numbers previously in this thread. Osaka's earnings for 2020 were $55 million, $5 million on the court, $50 million off of it. Fifteenth highest-paid athlete in the world. While I have empathy for people who struggle with depression...see it often in my practice... my empathy for her feeling that press conferences are too much is a heck of a lot less after seeing those numbers. She could bring her therapist on the road with her, do an hour daily like classic Freudian psychoanalysis, all the resources in the world to deal with it. It's part of the job (press conferences), just like athletes having to notify USADA's testing group of their whereabouts every day.
                              She is hugely popular in Japan...so not surprised she has a lot of endorsement deals. I suspect the Japanese don't care if she does press conferences or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

And as bambam pointed out, she had no problems continuing to do the interviews with Japanese media that she was paid extra for.
                                She also had no problem doing press conferences last year when she refused to play a match in support of Black Lives Matter. She sought out the media then. She just didn't want to deal with a Paris press corps that didn't ask fluff supportive questions. In fairness, just like the Olympics draws way more know-nothing journalists from around the world than you see at Diamond League meets, the tennis Grand Slams also do, far more than the ATP/WTA tour does.

Osaka is very weak on clay, which probably made it a lot easier to withdraw. She likely would have handled Ana Bogdan in the 2nd round, but she would have had a load of trouble in the 3rd round with red-hot Spaniard Paula Badosa .

Comment

Working...
                                X