X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jc203
    replied
    She decided to void by the contract by non-performance and walked away, willing pay whatever penalties ensue. That is not a sin, it is a common occurrence in business relations. The history of both men’s and women’s professional tennis is chock full of players abandoning the established tours because they were unhappy with the status quo.

Leave a comment:

• einnod23
    replied
    Seems like she was willing to take the fine, for the French. But the Tennis powers wanted to take it, further, and expel her from the rest of the grand slam!

But what happens in Tokyo in six weeks, where, more than likely, she will light the torch? A dude like, say, Taniguchi, '91 World Marathon Champ, lighting the torch, doesn't garner the NBC/World TV ratings as a Naomi. And skater Hanyu might be better lighting the torch in the Winter Games.....!

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Why is it ludicrous? Grand Slam tennis tournaments and the Super Bowl are both the pinnacle of their sport, and she didn't get fined for withdrawing. Players withdraw all the time without incident.
    See my comment above. It might have been a different and far more alarming story if she had withdrawn from the final. Furthermore, there are four majors in tennis. In the NFL, the Super Bowl is a one-shot deal. Besides, Naomi's already been to the very top; 4 times in the last 2½ years.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 06-03-2021, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CookyMonzta
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

Terry Bradshaw dealt with depression throughout his NFL career at a time when depression wasn't as understood as well as it is now. What do you think the reaction would have been if he had announced that he was sitting out a Super Bowl to deal with depression? What would be the reaction if a starting Super Bowl quarterback did that today?
    Bad comparison. The Super Bowl is a championship game. Naomi pulled out after the first round of the French Open. Comparing a championship to a playoff round is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Yugo.

Leave a comment:

• NotDutra5
    replied
    Contracts say otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• jc203
    replied
    Hmm...
    1) Osaka withdrew following the first round of an individual competition. Quarterback Bradshaw walking away from his team on the verge of a Super Bowl is IMHO a silly comparison.
    2) Marshawn's "I'm only here to keep from being fined." routine was amusing but clearly surly and antagonistic toward both the NFL administration and the press corp. Osaka's response was honorable and respectful.
    3) Osaka IS a popular, attractive, intelligent, very talented bi-national young woman of color... What the hell does this have to do with anything? Well, big time tennis administrators want to build their sport through positive exposure to the public. If it is contest to win popular opinion (and it is) Osaka is holding all the aces.
    4) Yes, of course, the gods of the tennis industry want to make a lot of money. That's fine. Osaka, on the other hand, may not be willing to bend her personal preferences and she may prefer being happy to being in the public arena. That's her decision... she has no obligation to please the tennis world or the media.
    Last edited by jc203; 06-03-2021, 04:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• schigh
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Sleaze sells . . . and unless you actually have some insight and writing talent, trying to elicit some sound bites or dirt is the goal.
    Yup. From the same charmers that brought us paparazzi. But there is a market for all kinds of crazy stuff that I can't relate to.

Leave a comment:

• SoCal45
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

..... tell the promoters to French Open??
    F*ck Off...I'm sure you knew that!!

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by jc203 View Post
    Comparing Terry Bradshaw sitting out a super bowl with Osaka withdrawing from a major tourney is a ludicrous comparison.
    Why is it ludicrous? Grand Slam tennis tournaments and the Super Bowl are both the pinnacle of their sport, and she didn't get fined for withdrawing. Players withdraw all the time without incident.

Originally posted by jc203
    Anyway, NFL players and coaches with emotional issues regularly misbehave in post-game settings with ugly, combative reactions or walk-outs. Maybe they get fined or maybe not but generally their uncivil conduct simply enhances their reputations as hard guys who brook no nonsense from the press.
    Osaka simply opted not to speak and when fined opted not to play, and in each instance published a thoughtful explanation.
    As I said earlier, she could have pulled a Marshawn Lynch or acted anyway she wanted to and she would have met her contractual obligations.

Seems to me that the ruling elite of pro tennis administration have played a losing hand in coming down hard on popular, attractive, intelligent, very talented bi-national young woman of color.
    What the hell does this have to do with anything? Jesus Christ!

Speaking or not speaking to the press ought to be a personal choice, not a mandate from a business enterprise whose motivation is purely economic.
    Wow, a sports governing body that is worried about the bottom line! What kind of Neanderthals care about money these days? Hell, I'll bet Osaka would play for free if they asked her to.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    The worst question I hear too often is when the media person rushes up to an exhausted runner, and exclaims, " HOW DO YOU FEEL ?! "

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    As previously quoted, the only meaningful post-race interview in memory: Mary Cain "I just ran like an animal."

Leave a comment:

• booond
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf View Post
    Does anyone enjoy/expect inane, post-competition interviews of often exhausted athletes? Not I.
    Most sports interviews are complete wastes of time.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Worst part of pressers? When someone says, "Talk about...."

Ask a decent question. You'll likely get a decent answer.

One problem is most journalists aren't technically savvy (sports version) enough to ask those questions that might elicit interesting responses.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    There is a larger conversation to be had here, though, about athletes and media in 2021. As often happens when sensitive stories blow up, some people think they have to line up on one side or the other: You either support Osaka and think press conferences are a stupid waste of time, or you think she should toughen up and do her job. Well, I support Osaka. But press conferences are absolutely not a stupid waste of time. They benefit journalists, sure, but also fans and especially the people in the arena.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    SI....

Press conferences absolutely have value. That doesn’t mean Naomi Osaka should be forced to do them. Column on athletes, access, and empathy:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rosenberg...57360961396737

Leave a comment:

Working...
X