This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

The fact that it was the first round and not the final is besides my point. She didn't get fined for withdrawing, she got fined for refusing to due the post-match press conference, a contractual obligation to the French Open and WTA. I'll bet there would have been no backlash had she withdrew from the final but still did all her press conferences. After all, athletes withdraw from matches all the time for injuries without controversy. It seems that Osaka would have been perfectly fine to play all 7 matches and win the tournament as long as she didn't have to do the part of the job she doesn't like. And as bambam pointed out, she had no problems continuing to do the interviews with Japanese media that she was paid extra for.
    But by bringing up the potential ramifications of Bradshaw (or any other QB) sitting out the Super Bowl, you imply that it wouldn't have been as much of a deal if he had sat out a regular season game. Naomi's withdrawal after the first round actually fits the point. Her being fined for ducking the press conference is another story.

And quite frankly, after reading about a question Coco Gauff got in that conference room, I have no problem with Naomi restricting her interviews to people and press that she knows, paid or not. Again, if the press-conference ask her a question that rubs her the wrong way or gets too personal (or worse, borders on ad hom), she'd be better off responding with "next question".

Comment

I remember Muhammad Ali saying that he was the only boxer that got asked the same sort of questions that get asked of senators and congressmen, and he said it with pride not resentment. He understood that once he started speaking out on non-boxing issues, he should expect tough non-boxing questions. I'm not sure what Osaka's expectations of the media are but some athletes seem to be under the impression that they can follow in the footsteps of icons like Ali, Authur Ashe, Curt Floid, Tommie Smith, Jon Carlos, etc. by just regurgitating the latest wokisms without receiving tough questions in return.

Comment

We all interpret events through our own lens.
        For me, though, to imply that Osaka is " just regurgitating the latest wokisms without receiving tough questions in return" does not represent her actions at all.
        The expectations of the profession no longer suit her, the tennis bosses would not accommodate her, she explained the reasons and walked away.
        So far she hasn't felt any need to respond to questions from her critics... Good for her!
        Lots of people in lots of jobs do that every day and have done so long before anyone coined the term "wokisms".
        Weak people are the ones who stay in situations they hate because of money or the desire to avoid criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
          We all interpret events through our own lens.
          I can't disagree with this.

Originally posted by jc203 View Post
          Weak people are the ones who stay in situations they hate because of money
          With all due respect, this sort of the dogma is the epitome of wokism. Just think of all the implications of this statement. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this didn't come out the way you meant it.

Comment

Since no one has posted this...

No wonder Naomi Osaka doesn't want to do news conferences -- they can be awful. - The Washington Post

Comment

I have no doubt that some journalists behave like jackals. That's always been the case.

Comment

superb column!

Comment

I have no doubt that some journalists behave like jackals. That's always been the case.
                  But men have much easier time dismissing those stupid reporters.
                  If any woman did what Agassi used to do to reporters, I think she will be demonized and lose her sponsors.

Comment

When the governing bodies of professional sports organizations negotiate contracts with TV networks and sponsors, media availability of the athletes is part of the deal. Not only is she not the first athlete or coach to hate this part of the job, but practically everyone I know, regardless of occupation, has parts of their job that they detest, but you do it because you want the paychecks. .
                    I guess most people, even those who totally love their jobs, have some tasks involved in them that they don't enjoy. You just take the bad with the good.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post

I guess most people, even those who totally love their jobs, have some tasks involved in them that they don't enjoy. You just take the bad with the good.
                      Exactly! Do you think MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL coaches and big-time college football and basketball coaches enjoy those mandatory post-game press conferences? Do you think there are some college coaches who detest chasing behind teenagers begging them to come to their schools or schmoozing with their schools fat cat donors and board members? Everyone I know has parts of their job that they hate and some of them actually like their jobs.

Comment

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar slams 'gotcha' questions that athletes are asked by the press as 'antagonistic' and 'infuriating' in mental health essay (yahoo.com)

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar criticized the media for asking athletes "gotcha" questions after games in an op-ed about mental health in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                          Jazzy's once again making too much sense, and that won't be received well.
                          He has said nothing to indicate any capacity for empathy. It's so easy, and cowardly, to put on the wig and pick up the gavel, and blather on about that which is not one of the thorns in your flesh in this life.

But let him, and you, tell all of us that you have never suffered, and been grateful for the compassion extended to you by another. Pharisees. "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." People who suffer from mental health deserve words of compassion and understanding first, and any other comments should be chosen in a manner that reflects someone with a heart of flesh, not stone. Hypocrites deserve what they will get.

Now go get your guns and fire at me.
                          Last edited by 1.609; 07-24-2021, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

He has said nothing to indicate any capacity for empathy. It's so easy, and cowardly, to put on the wig and pick up the gavel, and blather on about that which is not one of the thorns in your flesh in this life.

But let him, and you, tell all of us that you have never suffered, and been grateful for the compassion extended to you by another. Pharisees. "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." People who suffer from mental health deserve words of compassion and understanding first, and any other comments should be chosen in a manner that reflects someone with a heart of flesh, not stone. Hypocrites deserve what they will get.
                            You sound like you're wearing the wig right now. Physician, heal thyself. Shall we volley Scripture back and forth accusing people of being Pharisees?

I stand by what I said about Jazzy. I've been at this site with Jazzy for over a decade. I have some small idea about his heart.
                            Last edited by scottmitchell74; 07-24-2021, 03:31 PM.
                            You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

Like I said.
                              Brave response.

weakly-curly-blonde-man-red-260nw-1417467452.jpg
                              Last edited by 1.609; 07-24-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

Brave response.
                                You were impatient.
                                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Working...
                                X