• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuariki
    replied
    Originally posted by SoCal45 View Post
    ..... .the athletes should tell the promoters to FO
    ..... tell the promoters to French Open??

Leave a comment:

• SoCal45
    replied
    requiring athletes to sit before a bunch of fish hacks and tv loser reports and field inane questions is ludicrous...the athletes should tell the promoters to FO

Leave a comment:

• schigh
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    She withdrew from the French Open because she suffers from depression and can't handle the negative questions the press bombards her with. The FO even fined her $15000 for refusing to go to a presser. This brilliantly illustrates the lip service we often give mental health. If it had been a physical problem, everyone would have sympathy, but when it's something like anxiety or depression everyone says 'suck it up!'

I hope World Tennis takes a lot of grief for this and has to change its ways and other sports catch on.
    I suspect many have feigned physical problems for exactly this reason, both in and out of sports. It's pretty weak to go after someone when they're vulnerable. If you can't support them, at least leave them alone.

Leave a comment:

• beebee
    replied
    The over-scrutinization of minority athletes is as old as the days of boxing great Jack Johnson...
    punishing a young woman who admittedly has issues speaking in public will only exasperate her difficulties.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    I suspect she has significant scar tissue from the shitshow that was the 2018 US Open final, especially the disgraceful awards ceremony.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    started a topic Naomi Osaka and Mental Health Reform

Naomi Osaka and Mental Health Reform

She withdrew from the French Open because she suffers from depression and can't handle the negative questions the press bombards her with. The FO even fined her $15000 for refusing to go to a presser. This brilliantly illustrates the lip service we often give mental health. If it had been a physical problem, everyone would have sympathy, but when it's something like anxiety or depression everyone says 'suck it up!'

I hope World Tennis takes a lot of grief for this and has to change its ways and other sports catch on.
Working...
X