Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to put 400 hurdle marks on a HS track

Bill Roe always got to the stadium early and took care of hurdle marks. Does anyone have an idiot's guide to how to put down marks for the 400 hurdles on a track that is only marked for the 300 hurdles?

When we were still hand timing, I know there was a way to do it using mostly the 300 hurdle marks that involved moving the finish line, but we are FAT now and definitely not moving that finish line.

You have to use a measuring wheel for the 1st hurdle. The second hurdle is placed at the acceleration mark for the 1st exchange zone for the 4x100 relay. The third hurdle is placed 5 meters after the end of the 1st exchange zone for the 4x100 relay. The rest of the hurdles are placed 5 meters after the 300-hurdle marks.

Comment

I'll have to see if we have a wheel in storage somewhere, going back to the mainland tomorrow to find the things we didn't find on Wednesday...

Thanks, that was helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
        I'll have to see if we have a wheel in storage somewhere, going back to the mainland tomorrow to find the things we didn't find on Wednesday...

Thanks, that was helpful!
        We keep a 5m chain and chalk in our equipment box to make it more convenient. By the way, the 8th hurdle is placed at the beginning of the 3rd exchange zone for the 4x100 relay, which just so happens to be 5 meters after the 5th hurdle for the 300 hurdles, so there's already a mark on the track for the 8th hurdle just like there is for the 2nd hurdle.
        Last edited by jazzcyclist; 06-06-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
          You have to use a measuring wheel for the 1st hurdle. The second hurdle is placed at the acceleration mark for the 1st exchange zone for the 4x100 relay. The third hurdle is placed 5 meters after the end of the 1st exchange zone for the 4x100 relay. The rest of the hurdles are placed 5 meters after the 300-hurdle marks.
          not meant as a PITA question, but if it's not a HS track,, what's the odds that there are any 300H markings?

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

not meant as a PITA question, but if it's not a HS track,, what's the odds that there are any 300H markings?
            A track that has neither 300H or 400H marks on it? Do such unicorns exist?

Comment

My High school's track is stiil dirt and has to be totally lined and marked for every meet. They seldom host any meets because of that. Back in my day, we had about 5 or 6 meets per year, and the coach/assistants worked their butts off to line/mark it. They were efficient and accurate (I helped them sometimes when I was home from college in the spring). So lots of schools wanted to come to our meets. Nowadays my high school mostly travels.

Comment

There are community tracks (usually old) that have no markings on them at all.
                Not all tracks are for . . . track.

Comment

Working...
                X