Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post

Any U.S. judge who weighs in on this case will never have even heard of World Athletics or give a rat's ass about what their view might be. That's not how the legal system works.
    I'm lost. If not for WA, WADA, AIU, CAS etc. banning her, then what would be the point of going to a US judge?

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post
      I'm lost. If not for WA, WADA, AIU, CAS etc. banning her, then what would be the point of going to a US judge?
      To allow her to run so she can present her case to the Swiss court. Nobody is banning USATF over this.

Comment

• Who has the power to get her case fast-tracked to the Swiss court in time to run in the OGs? USATF? Nike?

Comment

• I've tried to remember innocent until proven guilty, but here are her lawyer's explanations: "His client's urine should be the focus of the investigation. Her urine was consistent with the consumption of pork that was containing high levels of nandrolone. We told this to the lab before her B sample was tested. Under the rules they were supposed to account for it. When your urinary markers are where they were with Shelby's-- in the very, very low range-- it is impossible for the machine that does the testing to distinguish between these two. There's a way to do that called an atypical finding, and that's what we think should have been done in Shelby's case and it wasn't".
          For me, her lawyer's statement is a masterful example of obfuscation--- dies it make any sense to anyone else?

Comment

• Originally posted by ralmcg View Post
            I think World Athletics would take a dim view of a government interfering with doping processes. Judicial decisions are a part of government. Also, does the United States have laws against doping?

If the US judiciary overturns CAS decisions, would World Athletics and the IOC ban the United States from competing since it would be seen as a nation not taking doping seriously? Perhaps.
            It wouldn't matter given that a low level US Court has no powers of authority in Japan over the Olympics

Comment

• Looks as if she is listed as starting in heat 3.
              hmmm

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

IMO this is going to be a really bad look for the trials if she runs, especially with this sympathy campaign her team pushed the past 2 days.
                Even worse, Houlihan is likely to finish in the top 3 and "make" the Olympic team. If there is still a legal injunction in place, then the USATF can't kick Houlihan off the team, but neither can they submit Houlihan's name to World Athletics/IOC as an entrant into the Olympics, because of the CAS decision.

Then of course the 4th place finisher would get a lawyer. This could get interesting, but not in a good way.

By the way, in case you haven't already noticed, the USATF has added Houlihan's name to the start list as the 11th runner in the 3rd heat of the 1500, which is taking place on Friday afternoon.
                https://results.usatf.org/

Comment

• In 2016, Demi Payne competed at the Olympic Trials after failing a drug test, because an arbitrator ordered it, but of course the whole thing was secret, and remained so for over two more years! Probably set the precedent for Houlihan here.

Comment

• Originally posted by polevaultpower View Post
                    In 2016, Demi Payne competed at the Olympic Trials after failing a drug test, because an arbitrator ordered it, but of course the whole thing was secret, and remained so for over two more years! Probably set the precedent for Houlihan here.
                    Just as well then that Payne bombed in the qualifying prelims.

Comment

• What's going on? Surely by running in the OT Houilihan would kill stone dead the extremely slim chance she has of overturning or reducing her ban. CAS, WA etc wouldn't look kindly upon an athlete so brazenly ignoring a ban on competing.

Expect sanctions too for USATF for allowing it to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post
                        Expect sanctions too for USATF for allowing it to happen.

Why? USATF has no choice but to comply if Houlihan gets a TRO.

One thing's for sure - the circus is coming to town...

There are no strings on me

Comment

• Originally posted by guru View Post

Why? USATF has no choice but to comply if Houlihan gets a TRO.

One thing's for sure - the circus is coming to town...
                          But a US Court has zero jurisdiction in a case that was prosecuted by AIU and judged by CAS.

USATF have to follow rules laid down by World Athletics, the AIU & WADA and respect any decision made by CAS. If they don't they're in violation of their commitments.

Comment

• yawn - US courts getting involved in every Olympic Games since.... seems like forever...

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

But a US Court has zero jurisdiction in a case that was prosecuted by AIU and judged by CAS.

That may be, but the Trials are in the United States. If a US court issues her a TRO the meet will have to comply, period(or not hold the race).

Similar case here in Ohio some time back. Kid got disqualified at Regionals for running five events(one event did not qualify during prelims, coach added relay leg on finals). Court issued her a TRO, forcing the state to allow her to run state meet(or postpone the meet). Eventually the association won in court but she ran - and placed - at state, medals she later had revoked after court proceedings. Just a big mess. God bless America lol
                              There are no strings on me

Comment

• Hmm, upholding international sporting law or following the judgement of a local court that has no jurisdiction regarding Houlihan's ban?

I know which I'd choose if I wanted to minimise the sanctions I faced!

USATF need to do the right thing for themselves and the right thing for track and field.

Comment

Working...
                                X