Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ross Tucker...

It’s been a day full “I choose to believe” statements. I can’t believe how many people’s reaction is “the system must be screwed up, she’d never dope”, having heard literally only one side of the story. It still strikes me as remarkable how specific her statement is, and the...

…”proof” she has claimed was presented to CAS in her defence includes a polygraph, a receipt, phone location records, hair samples, and STILL CAS has ruled that she failed to reach a “balance of probability”. Surely you should be asking “What am I missing from the OTHER side”?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scienceof...00271126351875

Comment

• story on front page...Alan Abrahamson in right!

Comment

• Good article...and we have covered most of the points already...but this is a good point...why she went on Fox News.

What also begs credibility is the burrito defense. To be honest, the way Houlihan phrased it also suggests subtle — maybe overt — racism at work.

In her statement, Houlihan said she believed the source of the nandrolone was a burrito purchased from an “authentic Mexican food truck that serves pig offal” near her Beaverton, Oregon, house.

Why the use of the word “authentic”? What’s that there for? When she was at the counter, did she feel the need to check citizenship papers, too? Does “authentic” insinuate that a burrito truck run by a red, white and blue third-generation Texan serving Nebraska corn-fed beef and pork would by definition be “cleaner”?

Then it turns out that, in fact, according to Lets Run, quoting her lawyer, Greene, she had bought and eaten a carne asada — a steak — burrito. So to make this defense work, the pork had to have gotten into the steak burrito.

Oh, OK.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          Good article...and we have covered most of the points already...but this is a good point...why she went on Fox News.

What also begs credibility is the burrito defense. To be honest, the way Houlihan phrased it also suggests subtle — maybe overt — racism at work.

In her statement, Houlihan said she believed the source of the nandrolone was a burrito purchased from an “authentic Mexican food truck that serves pig offal” near her Beaverton, Oregon, house.

Why the use of the word “authentic”? What’s that there for? When she was at the counter, did she feel the need to check citizenship papers, too? Does “authentic” insinuate that a burrito truck run by a red, white and blue third-generation Texan serving Nebraska corn-fed beef and pork would by definition be “cleaner”?

Then it turns out that, in fact, according to Lets Run, quoting her lawyer, Greene, she had bought and eaten a carne asada — a steak — burrito. So to make this defense work, the pork had to have gotten into the steak burrito.

Oh, OK.
          Oh, come on!
          Lots of "foreign" restaurants advertise their menu as "authentic" or "real" or "just like they make it in (Italy, France, Germany, Africa, etc).
          Are those places racist?
          And maybe she was comparing this food truck to, say, Taco Bell, which is anything BUT "authentic"!!
          Probably why she ate there--besides living near there!

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

Just clarifying, is that confirmed? That yahoo article only alluded to that without actually confirming she is appealing to the Swiss court saying:

"Typically, when athletes lose cases at CAS, which is based in Switzerland, they appeal to that country’s highest court. In time-sensitive cases, that court can issue an injunction that would allow an athlete to participate while a case is decided."
            Well, today USATF said, “Given there is an active appeal process, USATF will allow any athletes to continue competing until the process is completed.”

I'm not sure why USATF would have said that if Houlihan hadn't actually appealed, or at least notified USATF that an appeal would be filed very soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post

Oh, come on!
              Lots of "foreign" restaurants advertise their menu as "authentic" or "real" or "just like they make it in (Italy, France, Germany, Africa, etc).
              Are those places racist?
              And maybe she was comparing this food truck to, say, Taco Bell, which is anything BUT "authentic"!!
              I believe he's saying that Houlihan is using a racist dog whistle when saying the food truck is "authentic"

My guess is that she was trying to add heft to the offal excuse by saying the food truck was "authentic"

Her appearance on FOX does muddy whatever waters she was attempting to clear. They are a safe haven for certain opinions.

The article is okay, it doesn't break new ground other than to mention the silence among the anti-doper crowd and to bludgeon the "white privelege" argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post

And after all of that work from last week assessing where you stacked up against former Decathletes. Only to learn that you were pork-doping.........
                Guilty, your honor. And all this time, I thought it came from my athletic Choctaw mother, a star six-girl basketball forward in 1929 at the same HS from which I graduated in 1949. When she came to my games, the crowd would set up a chant, "Annette, Annette", until she went on court, in heels and hose, and swished a few "3-pointers". Remarkably, she could still hit the set shot at age 93, although her range was somewhat diminished.

I plead mitigating circumstances in that the pork was aged in the "smokehouse" boy's dormitory for months before it was consumed, presumably reducing its virility.

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post

Oh, come on!
                  Are those places racist?
                  It is true that restaurants advertise themselves as "authentic".

However, I have never heard of anyone going around proclaiming I ate at an authentic ethnic restaurant /cafe/food truck, or whatever. They just say I ate at a Mexican restaurant or at Taco Bell.
                  ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                    Good article...and we have covered most of the points already...but this is a good point...why she went on Fox News.

Yes, that's what I understood her to imply with the use of the word "authentic." What do they tell Americans when they go to Mexico? "Only drink bottled water, don't get ice cubes in your drinks, eat in higher quality restaurants, etc. because you don't want to get sick." (In fact, I actually had to teach that to someone who had never left the US before when they traveled to Mexico for the 2019 NACAC U18 U23 Championships.)

But food in Mexico, and food in Oregon that happens to be Mexican food, aren't the same thing. If Houlihan was trying to imply that an "Authentic" Mexican food truck was more likely to have lower food standards and more likely to have tainted pork, that makes no sense for 2 reasons - First, why would a world class athlete trying to win an Olympic medal be eating food from a place if she believed it had low food standards? Second, would a Mexican food truck in Oregon transport their meat all the way from Mexico to Oregon, when instead they could buy it from a local meat supplier? Not likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post

Well, today USATF said, “Given there is an active appeal process, USATF will allow any athletes to continue competing until the process is completed.”

I'm not sure why USATF would have said that if Houlihan hadn't actually appealed, or at least notified USATF that an appeal would be filed very soon.
                      My question was more so geared at, was it confirmed she appealed to the Swiss court specifically. Since the original discussion of her now running at the trials brought this theory she could ask a judge in Oregon to grant her the right to run.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATK View Post

My question was more so geared at, was it confirmed she appealed to the Swiss court specifically. Since the original discussion of her now running at the trials brought this theory she could ask a judge in Oregon to grant her the right to run.
                        at this point, I have seen no mention of to whom (and by whom) the appeal was made.

Comment

• There are obviously some very strong opinions on here from both sides. Suggest we wait until some new information develops before rehashing the same points ad nauseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post
                            Second, would a Mexican food truck in Oregon transport their meat all the way from Mexico to Oregon, when instead they could buy it from a local meat supplier?
                            Maybe yes, if they wanted it to be truly authentic Mexican meat. The local supplier could import the meat from Mexico so the food truck owner wouldn't have to worry about those logistics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                              It is true that restaurants advertise themselves as "authentic".

However, I have never heard of anyone going around proclaiming I ate at an authentic ethnic restaurant /cafe/food truck, or whatever. They just say I ate at a Mexican restaurant or at Taco Bell.
                              ​​​​​
                              How about if you eat at an authentic Taco Bell??

Comment

• Originally posted by KevinR View Post
                                There are obviously some very strong opinions on here from both sides. Suggest we wait until some new information develops before rehashing the same points ad nauseum.
                                Or more lies from BTC...

Comment

Working...
                                X