Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post

surely you can't believe that?!
    I believe that this is what the rules provide for. Would it happen? NO.

But if a little wee country tried that same USTAF approach, then YES, the IOC and WA may well make that threat.
    Last edited by Tuariki; 06-18-2021, 04:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

I believe that this is what the rules provide for. Would it happen? NO.

But if a little wee country tried that sane USTAF approach, then YES, the IOC sbd WA may well make that threat.
      Letting her compete is one thing.... putting on the team is something else and doubtful that would have happened...

Comment

• Watching the 1500 and 5000 races tomorrow will be like watching the Riderless Horse go by without President Kennedy on its saddle!

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
          I hope we go medal-LESS in Shelby's events!
          The US Olympic Committee will get what they deserve!!
          It's not the US Olympic Committee's fault. CAS were the ones who made the decision to ban Houlihan. And USATF made the very strange decision to ignore the World Athletics/IOC rules that say anyone banned by the CAS can't run.

If the USATF had done what they were supposed to do, then the US Olympic Committee would never have gotten involved.

Comment

Watching the 1500 and 5000 races tomorrow will be like watching the Riderless Horse go by without President Kennedy on its saddle!
            Comparing a drug infraction involving a burrito with the death of a President might be a little bit of a stretch.

Comment

Watching the 1500 and 5000 races tomorrow will be like watching the Riderless Horse go by without President Kennedy on its saddle!
              What is wrong with you? You just might be proclaiming the innocence of a guilty person...at least respect the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post

McNeal is still waiting a final decision from CAS. Houlihan already had her final decision from CAS, which USATF for some strange reason decided to ignore.
                Some on the forums at LetsRun have wondered if the "strange reason" you mention might have been backstage pressure from a certain company that contributes the lion's share of USATF's funding and sponsors BTC and Houlihan. And that it took today's reminders to USATF from higher powers at the world level of the sport to provide the cover that allowed USATF to come to its senses. I don't know how reasonable it is to suppose such, but it's what some are suggesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by guru View Post
                  Why do I have a feeling this isnโ€™t the final act
                  I have the same feeling. I wonder if USATF let the USOC take the fall and make the final decision because they would be in a better legal position than USATF.

An injunction at the last minute would still not shock me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Country Mile View Post

Some on the forums at LetsRun have wondered if the "strange reason" you mention might have been backstage pressure from a certain company that contributes the lion's share of USATF's funding and sponsors BTC and Houlihan. And that it took today's reminders to USATF from higher powers at the world level of the sport to provide the cover that allowed USATF to come to its senses. I don't know how reasonable it is to suppose such, but it's what some are suggesting.
                    I suppose it's possible that USATF decided to succumb to pressure from someone, such as a certain unknown shoe company, knowing that it didn't matter because eventually they would get overruled by a higher authority anyway. Then they could go back to that certain someone and said, "Hey, we tried. Don't blame us."

On the other hand, maybe there was no pressure from anyone, and the head honchos at USATF just completely lost their minds and decided to throw the rules out the window.

It just seems odd that someone would put all this pressure on USATF for a runner like Shelby Houlihan, who is very good but not an all time great. She isn't Carl Lewis in 1988 when everyone wanted to see him race Ben Johnson in the Olympics. And it's not like 1996, when Michael Johnson was trying to make the team in both the 200 and 400 so he could make history at the Olympics.

Comment

Only for you.

Comment

• I'm sorry, but I'm already weary of this story. A great track meet starts tomorrow and our focus should be on that! If she is innocent, it is indeed a tragedy, but she was given a comprehensive adjudication of her case, and they said she's guilty, so I will honor that judgment and look elsewhere for a 1500 champion. I'm rooting for Purrier.

Comment

An extremely sad day for all that's good and decent and humane in our sport!
                          A tragedy!
                          Right now, I don't give a shit who makes the team in the Women's 1500 and 5000!
                          Without the American Record holder in the races, whoever makes the team will have won false and undeserved applause!
                          This WILL end happily for Shelby, mark my words!

I hope we go medal-LESS in Shelby's events!
                          The US Olympic Committee will get what they deserve!!
                          That is an awful attitude for a supposed track fan to have. Why would you hold anything against the other runners who have dedicated their lives to making the U.S. Olympic team? What have they done to hurt your feelings that you would turn on them? This will end the way it ends and it is probably time that this thread dies a somewhat peaceful death because it is descending to places it should not go.

Comment

• Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post

On the other hand, maybe there was no pressure from anyone, and the head honchos at USATF just completely lost their minds and decided to throw the rules out the window.
                            So are you suggesting that sheer rudderless ineptitude and apoplexy would, all on their own, be enough to provoke such a loss of sanity? ๐Ÿค” ๐Ÿ˜‰

Comment

• I just got on my computer after driving all day, and I don't have the energy to go back and read the whole thread, but I just want to point out that Houlihan's lawyer in the matter, Paul Greene, has also been retained by USATF for multiple issues in the past, including Vin Lananna's CAS hearing. I was a witness in that and Paul Greene questioned me.

So I don't know what went down behind the scenes, but that is a thing.

Comment

Talk about a circus coming to town!1
                                This is Barnum & Bailey at its best!!
                                There sure are some posts in here that seem to have been written by clowns.

BTC & the lawyers certainly seem to have been juggling the facts.

And a magician would be needed to overturn her ban.

Good luck to the clean athletes running in the 1500 and 5000 trials.

Comment

Working...
                                X