Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just because she didn't test positive before doesn't mean she was clean.

Comment

• Originally posted by aaronk View Post
      So I asked myself, why then, in late December?
      Did she have any important races to prepare for?
      NO!!
      The important stuff was 6 months away!
      So yes, ban her, but not for 4 years!
      Maybe a year, or 6 months! ...
      The timing of a positive drugs test is, and rightly should be, irrelevant when deciding the length of a ban. Furthermore, if the tribunal determines the PED usage was intentional then they have little option but to impose the full 4 years.

Some PEDs are effective in aiding recovery from training, allowing you to train harder more often. Thus, it makes sense to take them during heavy training blocks etc.
      Last edited by LuckySpikes; 05-19-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuckySpikes View Post

Some PEDs are effective in aiding recovery from training, allowing you to train harder more often. Thus, it makes sense to take them during heavy training blocks etc.
        Exactly, off season is the perfect time for athletes to take drugs, and that's exactly what they do (and unfortunately, fewer doping tests are done during the off season...)

I admire aaronk's fierce defense of her, but I think it is totally misguided. Nandrolone has been granted this image of being more likely to be ingested naturally, or through supplements, by mistake. In fact, its a cheap, common steroid that is easy to purchase and has a big impact on performance and is just as popular with cheats as it ever was.

Comment

Don't single me out, just because I say what I think!
          (Many people support Shelby!!)
          My "defense" of Shelby isn't because I think she never took nandrolone!
          She took it!
          But she'd been tested numerous times before the bust, and was always clean!
          NO!!
          That's how most PEDs work in endurance sports. You don't take them to race faster, you take them so that you can train harder. No one is shooting up with EPO the night before a race. That wouldn't offer much benefit. They're doing drugs in the offseason so that they can train harder and recover better. Then when competition starts they can get off the drugs but still realize the benefit of the more intense training they were able to do 4 months ago.

Comment

Ah, the MJ-M** defense . . .

** Marion Jones - Modified

Comment

(Many people support Shelby!!)
              My "defense" of Shelby isn't because I think she never took nandrolone!
              She took it!
              NO!!
              So yes, ban her, but not for 4 years!
              Maybe a year, or 6 months!
              If it had been a 2nd offense, then go for the limit!
              As for Africans and others, they improved their PR's by much more in one race than did Shelby!!
              I AM against drug use in sports, but let's treat everyone the same!
              A first time bust, when nothing important is coming in their career, isn't a call to ban someone---anyone---4 years!
              Now, I could name names here (of people I think WERE steady or heavy drug users in T&F), but I won't!
              Hint---my list goes back to the 80's, and includes Americans!!
              1. I was... at least in part...supporting you.

2. Your logic regarding testing and punishment is strange. It doesn't matter who else may have been a PED user. It's a matter of who gets caught and who doesn't. If you get caught you pay the penalty and she will. You also seem to not understand off season testing and the reason for it.

Comment

I defend your Free Speech rights.
                I have them too, so I CAN single you out for what you think!

Comment

• This has a good overview of doping defenses and the Houlihan case in particular. Tucker and his podcast partner do a good job discussing the protocols, legal standards, and science.

Doping and the Curious Case of Shelby Houlihan

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000561871632
                  Last edited by bhall; 05-20-2022, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                    I defend your Free Speech rights.
                    I have them too, so I CAN single you out for what you think!
                    Dueling Pens
                    (Deliverance)
                    LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X