Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gh View Post
    meanwhile at Miami...[B]How billionaire John Ruiz is giving millions to UM players
    This is the George Steinbrenner era - just go out and buy the best team. The balance of power will shift in the first few years and then all the other boosters will get in the game - money is no object. I'm not for it or against it; it's just a whole new era of collegiate professionalism. There's not even any reason to cheat - the NCAA opened up the barn doors wide.

Comment

• Meanwhile, the Jimbo Fisher-Nick Saban pissing match might make Shacarri and Janeek blush. And to think that Saban once bragged on Fisher after FSU won the national championship, talking about how they grew up a few miles down the road from each other in West Virginia, how Fosher was instrumental in his first national championship as his offensive coordinator at LSU and how he proud he was of him.

https://youtu.be/xGgRSyMMlbM

https://youtu.be/0CxAdLv0UpY

Comment

• South Carolina women's basketball announces NIL deal for $25,000 per player in 2022-23 season

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-car...144700998.html

South Carolina women's basketball players will make at least $25,000 each during the 2022-23 season thanks to a unique name, image and likeness deal with the Gamecocks' NIL collective, the Garnet Trust, and sports marketing firm NOCAP Sports.​

Comment

• I would expect that funneling more $$ into the pockets of students will result in an increase in the cost of university education. Isn't that Econ 101?

Comment

• Don’t know if this has been posted before, but the thought occurred to me that nil could possibly be used to circumvent NCAA scholarship limts… a school, any school might have reached its scholarship limit for a particular sport, but there is a coveted recruit that could be enticed to enroll in school with a substantial/lucrative NIL deal, and join the team (any sport) as a walk-on. So long as the deal covers all college expenses, with plenty left over for “enticement… Seems like it would be pretty easy to factor college costs into the NIL deal… I could also see where the number one recruit of any sport could theoretically sit back, not commit to any school, wait and see where everyone went, then make a decision/ or start working the NIL angle to go where the big money is… no scholarship, but who cares as long as the money is good..if the school has used up all of its scholarships, no worries, join the team as a walk on.. the scenario might blur a few lines but if the kid or his parents are savvy enough… who knows.. then what if the top 11 recruits(football) at each position, get together and all decided that they would wait, sign a huge NIL deal with a billionaire alumni, all go to the same school as walk-ons.
            Now schools actively and openly pursuing this strategy might be running afoul of the rules… but that’s a whole different subject.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steele View Post
              I would expect that funneling more $$ into the pockets of students will result in an increase in the cost of university education. Isn't that Econ 101?
              Student-athletes are a small percentage of the student population, and most receiving NIL deals already had full scholarships, so the NIL money won't do much (if anything) to increase the tuition prices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scratch_leg View Post
                Don’t know if this has been posted before, but the thought occurred to me that nil could possibly be used to circumvent NCAA scholarship limts… a school, any school might have reached its scholarship limit for a particular sport, but there is a coveted recruit that could be enticed to enroll in school with a substantial/lucrative NIL deal, and join the team (any sport) as a walk-on. So long as the deal covers all college expenses, with plenty left over for “enticement… Seems like it would be pretty easy to factor college costs into the NIL deal… I could also see where the number one recruit of any sport could theoretically sit back, not commit to any school, wait and see where everyone went, then make a decision/ or start working the NIL angle to go where the big money is… no scholarship, but who cares as long as the money is good..if the school has used up all of its scholarships, no worries, join the team as a walk on.. the scenario might blur a few lines but if the kid or his parents are savvy enough… who knows.. then what if the top 11 recruits(football) at each position, get together and all decided that they would wait, sign a huge NIL deal with a billionaire alumni, all go to the same school as walk-ons.
                Now schools actively and openly pursuing this strategy might be running afoul of the rules… but that’s a whole different subject.
                The NCAA already has rules and restrictions on third-party scholarships and academic scholarships. It may already be the case that a walk-on athlete receiving a NIL deal would be counted as a scholarship athlete towards the quota. If not already the rule, that surely will become the rule if they see colleges trying to use NIL deals to circumvent the scholarship limits.

Comment

• Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

The NCAA already has rules and restrictions on third-party scholarships and academic scholarships. It may already be the case that a walk-on athlete receiving a NIL deal would be counted as a scholarship athlete towards the quota. If not already the rule, that surely will become the rule if they see colleges trying to use NIL deals to circumvent the scholarship limits.
                  Makes sense to me… so as it stands now, the key is “ scholarship “ be it academic or otherwise, but not athletic…. Of course the situation I proffered is a student athlete with an NIL deal, paying his/her own way in school, and characterizing themselves as a “ walk-on”. Not particularly up on the current rules of what counts toward the scholarship total… that being said, there are plenty of walk-ons in all NCAA sports that don’t count toward the scholarships totals at this point in time… So it will be interesting to see if and how this potential issue with NIL walk-ons is handled by the powers at NCAA… if they haven’t already addressed the issue… That being said, I bet someone ( not me) with cash to burn, could put together one hell of a track team with a bunch of NIL walk-ons 😁👍.

Comment

• New Endorsements for College Athletes Resurface an Old Concern: Sex Sells (yahoo.com)

Before the start of her junior season, Dunne is also at the leading edge of a movement shaking the old foundations of college sports: a female student athlete raking in cash thanks to the passage in 2021 of new rules allowing college athletes to sign name, image and likeness, or NIL, deals.

Comment

Working...
                    X