Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Amateurism Lawsuit

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Still too early to fully appreciate all of the ramifications, but I wonder about "boosters" from the local community paying huge sums for an athlete to endorse their car lot, or whatever. That would definitely be a key factor in shaping what programs rise to the top in the next few years.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by gh View Post
      while I haven't read chapter and verse on the whole thing, nowhere have I ever seen the most crucial thing that would apply to track: can you accept prize money? (not something that applies to football and hoops, the big drivers of the legislation in the first place)
      How much prize money is there these days? At least compared to a scholarship or shoe contracts. Road races don't pay much except for marathons...and even that is only the top.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by gh View Post
        while I haven't read chapter and verse on the whole thing, nowhere have I ever seen the most crucial thing that would apply to track: can you accept prize money? (not something that applies to football and hoops, the big drivers of the legislation in the first place)
        That's the next law-suit. At worst they should be able to put Prize-money in a trust for when they're done with the scholarship.
        This whole - 'you can't earn money AND be a students' seems so 19th Century. We're well into the 21st.

        Comment


        • #19
          NCAA NIL rules: Boost Mobile sponsors TikTok Cavinder twins (yahoo.com)

          The twins have been the top target for the company in previous months as the NIL laws became reality, Stokols said. They have more than 400 more athletes on the list they began reaching out to Thursday morning, he said.

          Are there any track and field athletes among the 400+ on the list?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
            NCAA NIL rules: Boost Mobile sponsors TikTok Cavinder twins (yahoo.com)
            The twins have been the top target for the company in previous months as the NIL laws became reality, Stokols said. They have more than 400 more athletes on the list they began reaching out to Thursday morning, he said.
            Are there any track and field athletes among the 400+ on the list?
            Looks like they are targeting social-media influencers, the wave of the immediate future = it's not what you're doing; it's how many people watch you do it.

            Comment


            • #21
              It looks like the Wild West era of college sports has begun and our governor seems to determined to put Louisiana's colleges at the forefront of the movement. All-American cornerback Derek Stingley has already signed a deal with Walk-Ons per his Instagram account.

              https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...8a6c45acc.html
              Last edited by jazzcyclist; 07-01-2021, 07:24 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Darren Rovell said today that Arch Manning could make $10mil assuming he has no issues moving forward. He's a rising junior in HS.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  Looks like they are targeting social-media influencers, the wave of the immediate future = it's not what you're doing; it's how many people watch you do it.
                  It had been that way even before the social media age. Ask Anna Kournikova how many titles she had to win before she got mega-million endorsements.

                  In the meantime, news like this keeps coming in...

                  The first known Gamecock athlete business deals in NIL era are in (yahoo.com)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Is this ruling retroactive? Word is that Reggie Bush is using this ruling to try and reclaim his 2005 Heisman Trophy and USC restored as national champs for that year. What does this do with regard to Chris Webber and Michigan's 1993 NCAA Finals appearance? Could this ruling be retroactive for Howard Porter and Villanova, with his 1972 NCAA Outstanding Player award revoked, and the school's NCAA Finals appearance vacated, because he signed a contract before the tournament was over?
                    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 07-04-2021, 01:27 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Archie Manning, Bubba Smith, Orange Juice Simpson, Deion Sanders, Brian Bosworth, Pete Maravich would have made scad$

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Listening to a radio show right now on how differently men and women are/will sell their NIL.

                        You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
                          Listening to a radio show right now on how differently men and women are/will sell their NIL.
                          One thing for women, women's college basketball is far more popular than the pros....

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Does this apply to the situation involving Rick Pitino and Louisville, especially with regard to their 2012-13 season? Or was that even more twisted than what little I remember?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Even with NIL, I think scholarships should include $100 a month for incidental expenses.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                US Olympians in college wrapping arms around new financial opportunities granted by NIL (yahoo.com)

                                Just over a week ago, the NCAA changed its rules so college athletes across the country could profit off their name, image and likeness. In just over two weeks, some of those athletes will compete for the United States in the Tokyo Olympics.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X