X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinR View Post
    So scholarships would go away, with those athletes now being named school employees. Walk-ons would then become un-compensated employees? Would all players be provided with a minimum benefits package?
    Starters would get a compensation package including tuition, room & board, and a salary while everybody else becomes a walk-on because the universities don't want to deal with the encumbrances of an employee relationship for bench players (benefits, W-2s, unemployment, Social Security withholdings etc.). Walk-ons would be amateur volunteers, like the players for a high school team or recreational league.

They may find more power in seeking to be named independent contractors, honestly.
    True.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    So scholarships would go away, with those athletes now being named school employees. Walk-ons would then become un-compensated employees? Would all players be provided with a minimum benefits package? It may not make much of a difference at the grass-roots level. But they will then face some friction with regard to their NIL licensing. Not a law dude, myself, but I know that employees can have more restrictions on that sort of thing than, say, an independent contractor.

They may find more power in seeking to be named independent contractors, honestly.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Fueled by the NIL momentum, athletes at USC and UCLA are trying to get legally classified as employees of their university.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...a-usc-players/

They better be careful what they wish for. If they win, most athletic scholarships will go away (can't get classified as an employee if you're voluntarily on the team for free).

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Here's the link to LSU's official NIL policy from the LSU Board of Supervisors:

https://www.lsu.edu/bos/docs/policie...-2021-june.pdf

I would assume that the NIL policies at most other NCAA Division I universities use almost identical language. There are two things that caught my eye.:

Section IV, part d:
    Athletics boosters are prohibited from creating or facilitating NIL compensation opportunities for prospective student-athletes as a recruiting inducement or current student-athlete as an inducement to remain enrolled at her respective postsecondary institution.
    This is downright comical, since every Power 5 school in the nation as well as a few others are now blatantly violating this rule, but I guess the NCAA has just thrown their hands at this point.

Section VIII:
    . . . . . An intercollegiate athlete shall not enter into a contract for compensation for the use of the intercollegiate athlete’s NIL if a term of the contract conflicts with a term of the intercollegiate athlete’s athletics program’s team contract.
    I guess athletes are free to sign NIL deals with shoe companies as long as it's with the same shoe company that his/her school's team already has a contract with.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Mungo Man, your posts make some valid points, beyond the general discussion on this thread. Decisions about what is in the best interest of the individual students still rest on the students and their families. Your case for two-year degrees with job potential is also a good one, but is probably geared more toward Community and Junior Colleges.

Perhaps with the potential for a lot of the money apparel companies pay to the University athletic departments going directly to the players, we will see a small shift in admin salaries. But I expect the only way that you will see improvements in funding for academic programs is if the schools are driven to by market forces. Maybe changes to student loan structures. In any event, it is a pretty big problem to get our hands around.

Leave a comment:

• mungo man
    replied
    Also it would be great if LSU for example would use the $95 million in revenue that they earn in a year to reduce the financial burden on parents and students who are the fans that are actually generating this revenue. This means using the money to subsidize tuition, books and room and board for students. Instead of paying ADs, coaches and bowl officials ridiculously high salaries.

Why for example does the CEO of the Outback bowl and the Cotton Bowl getting paid $1 million a year. What does he do all year?
    It would be much better if the revenue from college sports went towards reducing the financial burden of the actual fans.

. The goodwill from the gesture would likely double the revenue. But it would only work if it was required by regulations.
    Last edited by mungo man; 02-08-2022, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mungo man
    replied
    There is too much myopia from activists like Jay Bilas. Too much emphasis on making money as if most athletes will make money. The number of athletes who will actually make good money from jersey sales and endorsements is very limited. Less than 5%. And that gig will last 4 years. For some it will totally distract them from their studies. Giving an 18 year old $10,000 and expecting them to remain focused on their studies is short sighted.

The real issue is not whether athletes can get money in the short term. Its what they will do after their 4 years of eligibility is finished. How will they pay rent, pay for a car, medical insurance and so forth?
    Many are leaving college without any useful skills. And 50% of those who go to the NFL only play for only 3 years.

Rather than focus on how much money athletes can make in the short term, it would be great if LSU for example could partner with Baton Rouge community college and have athletes work towards two year diplomas in carpentry, welding, HVAC, Medical Assistant, cosmetology, mechanic, electrician, childcare, Pharmacy technician and other two year degrees for which there is an acute shortage at the moment.

Rather than focus on short term financial gain, Activists should be demanding that schools ensure that every athlete is making progress towards a 2 year degree or a 4 year degree. Schools like Duke should stop offering classes in "African American studies" and other courses that add no value and instead ask athletes to work towards two year degrees that provide useable skills. Which pay very well I might add.

This is the reform we need in my opinion.
    Last edited by mungo man; 02-08-2022, 03:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    According a press release by the Ohio State Athletic Department, Buckeye athletes have thus far made $2.98 million off of NIL deals. I have a hunch that that figure will grow significantly in the coming years and that these sort of press releases will become part of the arms race of big-time college football and basketball.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate...eals-edge-team

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    LSU athletes are getting another slice of the pie. I can imagine NIL's causing some college football and basketball players in the future to delay turning pro if they're projected to be a low-round draft pick or not drafted at all. College basketball may be the biggest beneficiariy of the new NIL rules.

In the latest development surrounding name, image and likeness opportunities, LSU will begin selling customizable jerseys with football players' names on them ahead of the 2022 season.

Players will receive a portion of the profits. That wasn't possible before NIL deals became a reality last summer. Since then, group licensing has allowed players to use school logos in certain cases, resulting in items such as the official Nike jerseys.
    https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...f4477d3ac.html

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    How 'bout a nice restraint-of-trade lawsuit? If I can make beaucoup money off my NIL, an agent is necessary.
    A good point. That would be one of the best funded legal battles in US history, as a whole bunch of universities would have a lot of money on the line.

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    Pete Thamel tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/petethame...99548862357511

Alcyallen won't like this. 😄
    Poor guy. What does he do with his time now?

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Pete Thamel tweet:

A source tells ESPN that Grambling State University is set to announce a Name Image and Likeness deal for all of its scholarship student athletes, where every Grambling athlete receives annual income for their NIL. The deal is believed to be the first of its kind.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/petethame...99548862357511

Alcyallen won't like this. 😄

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinR View Post
    I can see value in having an office to assist athletes in understanding the rules, potential pitfalls, contract stuff (as they cannot have agents).
    How 'bout a nice restraint-of-trade lawsuit? If I can make beaucoup money off my NIL, an agent is necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Tuariki
    replied
    With these NIL rules John Chaplin would have had a field day in getting the best athletes to Pullman.

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    That puts an interesting spin on things. Is it appropriate for the University to be pushing NIL opportunities as recruiting tools? I can see value in having an office to assist athletes in understanding the rules, potential pitfalls, contract stuff (as they cannot have agents).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X