Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Amateurism Lawsuit

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by wamego relays champ View Post

    Her deal was with StockX. Would Nike consider them a competitor?
    They are shoes....Nike is the type to take a dim view of this,

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

      She probably still has to wear Nike gear on the court in official UConn games. The NIL thing doesn't mean athletes get to wear their individual sponsor's brand in competition.
      Of course she has to wear Nike on the court... anyways curious where this leads.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

        They are shoes....Nike is the type to take a dim view of this,
        Mwah mwah mwah, try again.

        StockX is a sales platform. They sell an awful lot of Nike stuff.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by gm View Post

          Mwah mwah mwah, try again.

          StockX is a sales platform. They sell an awful lot of Nike stuff.
          So it's a store.....that is different....it was confusing... I thought they actually made things.

          "It's about product I love and about shining a light on all the creatives that drive culture. I'm here to celebrate them and, together with StockX, invest in making sure women and women athletes are prioritized, elevated and recognized for their style and their leadership."
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 11-11-2021, 02:23 PM.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

            So it's a store.....that is different....it was confusing...
            Not really; it is an online marketplace, originally for sneaker collectors that has expanded to other popular culture items. Their revenues are based on fees for facilitating transactions between buyers and sellers. It was started in 2015, and I only heard about it a couple of years ago because my son-in-law started using it. Certainly understandable that boomers like us would not be aware of them. That said, they have made some headlines in business news, as they are one of those private tech companies with multiple VC funding rounds that now indicate a multi-billion dollar valuation.

            https://stockx.com/about/how-it-works/

            https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/08/snea...-billion-.html

            Comment


            • #96
              UConn's Paige Bueckers signs with Gatorade, her 2nd NIL deal (yahoo.com)

              Standout University of Connecticut sophomore Paige Bueckers signed her second major endorsement deal since the new name, image, and likeness rule went into effect at the end of July. Bueckers signed with Gatorade, the first college athlete it has signed. She was named the Gatorade Girls Player of the Year her senior year in high school.

              Comment


              • #97
                Some Big Money Donors at Texas have just announced the Clark Field Collective, an endowment that funds a base NIL contract for all athletic scholarships. Word is the goal is to to provide an annual contract of $100,000 per scholarship.

                Comment


                • #98
                  NBA: Steph Curry partners with UConn's Azzi Fudd on NIL deal (yahoo.com)

                  The groundbreaking name, image and likeness (NIL) deals continue for the powerhouse Connecticut Huskies' No. 1 recruits.

                  Freshman Azzi Fudd added a brand relationship with three-time NBA champion and two-time MVP Stephen Curry and SC30 Inc., the athlete-run organization in charge of his off-court business, to her NIL portfolio on Wednesday. It's in addition to deals with Chipotle and sports drink BioSteel.

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne is vaulting toward $1 million in NIL deals (businessreport.com)

                    When the push really began taking off for the NCAA to accept a new policy allowing student-athletes to profit off their own names, images and likenesses, the biggest name out of LSU was still Joe Burrow.

                    But by the time the NCAA officially accepted the rule change in June 2021, Burrow was long gone and the LSU student-athlete most poised to cash in big didn’t even play football.

                    Comment


                    • Weekly columnist (not sports-specific) for the Eugene Register-Guard suggests that, thanks to Phil Knight, Oregon should do well in the NIL era:

                      Basketball star Sabrina Ionescu is Nike’s chief athlete officer for a new project. Division Street will coordinate and maximize Oregon players’ NIL earnings. Did you know you can rent a Noah Sewell-themed Airbnb, filled with the linebacker’s jerseys and shoes and other ephemera for $300-plus per night? The NIL era has just begun. Creative opportunities abound.

                      Phil Knight and Nike can build Oregon into a NIL powerhouse for its athletes, combining a national brand with a rabid local fan base. Oregon can offer athletes a payday that may outstrip what some earn in the NFL. Players may compete in Eugene as long as their eligibility allows, just to build their brand.

                      Comment


                      • Money keeps pouring in for Fresno State basketball’s Cavinder twins. New deal is next-level

                        https://www.yahoo.com/news/fresno-st...011614124.html

                        Fresno State basketball players Haley and Hanna Cavinder, who could earn close to or more than seven figures this year through Name, Image and Likeness endorsements, have landed an innovative deal with a new clothing company that includes a 25% ownership stake and one of three seats on its board of directors, according to Forbes.

                        Comment


                        • I read elswhere that overseas students may be precluded from NIL arrangements due to visa-based work restrictions.

                          I had a quick look at the relevant govt. site for the F-1 Visa but it only talks about employment restrictions. I wouldn't think NIL arrangements could be construed as employment in any normal sense of the word but maybe immigration authorities have some capturing definition buried in their legislation.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by El Toro View Post
                            I read elswhere that overseas students may be precluded from NIL arrangements due to visa-based work restrictions.

                            I had a quick look at the relevant govt. site for the F-1 Visa but it only talks about employment restrictions. I wouldn't think NIL arrangements could be construed as employment in any normal sense of the word but maybe immigration authorities have some capturing definition buried in their legislation.
                            It's probably going to depend on how much active involvement the athlete has inside the US as part of the deal. If they have to do active stuff like photo shoots and personal appearances at the sponsor's events, that's more of a problem than passively having their name/face used in a video game or printed on a jersey. But if the active involvement is in their home country during breaks between semesters, US immigration has no jurisdiction over that.

                            However, US immigration has been known to wrongfully deport people who didn't have the means to defend themselves in court. Athletes on F-1 visas need to make sure the NIL deal includes legal defense in immigration court.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

                              It's probably going to depend on how much active involvement the athlete has inside the US as part of the deal. If they have to do active stuff like photo shoots and personal appearances at the sponsor's events, that's more of a problem than passively having their name/face used in a video game or printed on a jersey. But if the active involvement is in their home country during breaks between semesters, US immigration has no jurisdiction over that.

                              However, US immigration has been known to wrongfully deport people who didn't have the means to defend themselves in court. Athletes on F-1 visas need to make sure the NIL deal includes legal defense in immigration court.
                              The most useful site I found is linked below - it has a link to relevant regulations inside. https://cbkimmigration.com/employmen...ed-employment/

                              The most interesting examples are the owner of motel chain was OK because owning is all he did, whereas the owner of a fleet of ice cream trucks was not because he had active involvement in the business.

                              This comes directly at the effort/reward nexus you identified. I think a pure licence arrangement NIL would be most like the motel chain owner, income without actively doing anything as opposed to your example of appearances which might be more like the active participation of the ice cream guy.

                              One thing I also picked up on that page is working remotely for a foreign company while in the USA is a definite no. How this places somebody posting on social media in support of their home country sponsor while studying in the USA, I'm not sure.

                              I've read somewhere that social media influencers travelling the world on tourist rather than work visas are starting to get closer attention with some immigration depts around the world, especially as their posts provide easy evidence!

                              Comment


                              • LSU football got caught flat-footed at the beginning of the NIL era which led to some starters jumping through the transfer portal but their boosters are up and running now.

                                https://www.getgordon.com/lsu-footba...rdon-mckernan/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X