X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by 18.99s View Post

Must be an unsubstantiated rumor. Non-scholarship athletes aren't good enough to attract that amount of money, otherwise they'd have a scholarship (possible exceptions are Ivy League and Division III, where they don't give any athletic scholarships).
    What about Oregon track and field, LSU baseball, Minnesota hockey and other big time minor sports programs for which the NCAA doesn't give enough scholarships to fill out a roster?

Leave a comment:

• 502CD
    replied
    All it will take is a booster or business to get burned a few times on high school recruits not panning out that they'll rethink how much they hand over to recruits in the future.

After a few years it'll work itself out.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Originally posted by Atticus View Post
    Good, but I didn't mean Texas itself. "Think Texas" refers to how huge Friday Nights are and to what lengths coaches, boosters and parents will go to get an edge. If a kid has an NIL contract waved in his face, the cockroaches will appear.
    We call that "Florida" now

Things have tightened up quite a bit here.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gm View Post
    Ain't happening in Texas
    Good, but I didn't mean Texas itself. "Think Texas" refers to how huge Friday Nights are and to what lengths coaches, boosters and parents will go to get an edge. If a kid has an NIL contract waved in his face, the cockroaches will appear.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    A few bucks? Learning how commerce works? I wish I had your idealism. This isn't about the kids; it's shady adults trying to stack teams with $$$ enticement. Think Texas, add all the abuses already extant, then multiply by . . . A LOT. Yes, some PARENTS will get very rich - I'm sure that won't be abused either.

Will some deserving kids get a fair share of the pie? Yup, that too.
    Ain't happening in Texas: https://www.uiltexas.org/policy/2021...il-information

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR View Post
    lets have outrage over kids earning a few bucks and learning how commerce works (good, bad & ugly).
    A few bucks? Learning how commerce works? I wish I had your idealism. This isn't about the kids; it's shady adults trying to stack teams with $$$ enticement. Think Texas, add all the abuses already extant, then multiply by . . . A LOT. Yes, some PARENTS will get very rich - I'm sure that won't be abused either.

Will some deserving kids get a fair share of the pie? Yup, that too.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR View Post

How's it any different than kids having a job while being athletes? All sorts of workplace abuses already exist on top of the stuff that goes on from coaches in their sports too. This isn't going to make things worse, just different. But sure, lets have outrage over kids earning a few bucks and learning how commerce works (good, bad & ugly).
    Exactly....I think it is a fine idea.

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    Gee, what could possibly go wrong with this idea?
    How's it any different than kids having a job while being athletes? All sorts of workplace abuses already exist on top of the stuff that goes on from coaches in their sports too. This isn't going to make things worse, just different. But sure, lets have outrage over kids earning a few bucks and learning how commerce works (good, bad & ugly).

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinR View Post
    I have seen reports of individuals giving non-scholarship athletes on certain teams NIL funding equal to the value of a full scholarship.
    Must be an unsubstantiated rumor. Non-scholarship athletes aren't good enough to attract that amount of money, otherwise they'd have a scholarship (possible exceptions are Ivy League and Division III, where they don't give any athletic scholarships).

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    New York will allow preps to share in the NIL pie.... see story linked on home page

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    Thanks for that link!

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    New York will allow preps to share in the NIL pie.... see story linked on home page
    State by state list....

https://opendorse.com/blog/nil-high-school/

Leave a comment:

• KevinR
    replied
    And I thought it was nuts for college programs to offer scholarships to Junior High athletes.......

Kinda looking forward to seeing where this all leads.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X