X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by Steele View Post
    I would expect that funneling more $$ into the pockets of students will result in an increase in the cost of university education. Isn't that Econ 101?
    Student-athletes are a small percentage of the student population, and most receiving NIL deals already had full scholarships, so the NIL money won't do much (if anything) to increase the tuition prices.

Leave a comment:

• Scratch_leg
    replied
    Don’t know if this has been posted before, but the thought occurred to me that nil could possibly be used to circumvent NCAA scholarship limts… a school, any school might have reached its scholarship limit for a particular sport, but there is a coveted recruit that could be enticed to enroll in school with a substantial/lucrative NIL deal, and join the team (any sport) as a walk-on. So long as the deal covers all college expenses, with plenty left over for “enticement… Seems like it would be pretty easy to factor college costs into the NIL deal… I could also see where the number one recruit of any sport could theoretically sit back, not commit to any school, wait and see where everyone went, then make a decision/ or start working the NIL angle to go where the big money is… no scholarship, but who cares as long as the money is good..if the school has used up all of its scholarships, no worries, join the team as a walk on.. the scenario might blur a few lines but if the kid or his parents are savvy enough… who knows.. then what if the top 11 recruits(football) at each position, get together and all decided that they would wait, sign a huge NIL deal with a billionaire alumni, all go to the same school as walk-ons.
    Now schools actively and openly pursuing this strategy might be running afoul of the rules… but that’s a whole different subject.

Leave a comment:

• Steele
    replied
    I would expect that funneling more $$ into the pockets of students will result in an increase in the cost of university education. Isn't that Econ 101?

Leave a comment:

• TN1965
    replied
    South Carolina women's basketball announces NIL deal for $25,000 per player in 2022-23 season

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-car...144700998.html

South Carolina women's basketball players will make at least $25,000 each during the 2022-23 season thanks to a unique name, image and likeness deal with the Gamecocks' NIL collective, the Garnet Trust, and sports marketing firm NOCAP Sports.​

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Meanwhile, the Jimbo Fisher-Nick Saban pissing match might make Shacarri and Janeek blush. And to think that Saban once bragged on Fisher after FSU won the national championship, talking about how they grew up a few miles down the road from each other in West Virginia, how Fosher was instrumental in his first national championship as his offensive coordinator at LSU and how he proud he was of him.

https://youtu.be/xGgRSyMMlbM

https://youtu.be/0CxAdLv0UpY

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh View Post
    meanwhile at Miami...[B]How billionaire John Ruiz is giving millions to UM players
    This is the George Steinbrenner era - just go out and buy the best team. The balance of power will shift in the first few years and then all the other boosters will get in the game - money is no object. I'm not for it or against it; it's just a whole new era of collegiate professionalism. There's not even any reason to cheat - the NCAA opened up the barn doors wide.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    meanwhile at Miami...

How billionaire John Ruiz is giving millions to UM players and why he says it’s worth it

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...260756357.html

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    After Biletnikoff winner Jordan Addison entered the transfer portal amid rumors that coaches have been actively recruiting him, Commissioners Greg Sankey (SEC) and (PAC 12) met with a group of senators in an effort to get Congress to tame the wild, wild west of college football.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...es-source-says

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    She is going to Stanford this fall (probably couldn't get into Duke, Atticus! 😁 )
    Yeah, I heard she cried for days . . . NOT!

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
    Curious if anyone has any skinny on NIL deals in college for T&F athletes?? I haven't heard much. I just spoke to a friend of mine, an orthopaedic surgeon that trained at Duke a few years after me. His daughter is one of the top swimmers in the world as a high school senior. She swam and medalled at Tokyo 2020 and just made the World Championship team in 4 individual events for this summer. She is going to Stanford this fall (probably couldn't get into Duke, Atticus! 😁 ), and he was telling me how they are learning about NIL stuff as she has had a number of offers. So if swimmers are getting that is any of that out there for T&F???
    A local law firm announced an NIL deal with Sean Burrell several months ago.

Leave a comment:

• donley2
    replied
    Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post
    Saw that an okay Miami guard transfer was given a two-year NIL deal for 800k + perks!! And now he's got an unhappy teammate.

😄
    Nijel Pack was first team all big 12 as a Sophomore. Slightly better than OK. 🤔

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Curious if anyone has any skinny on NIL deals in college for T&F athletes?? I haven't heard much. I just spoke to a friend of mine, an orthopaedic surgeon that trained at Duke a few years after me. His daughter is one of the top swimmers in the world as a high school senior. She swam and medalled at Tokyo 2020 and just made the World Championship team in 4 individual events for this summer. She is going to Stanford this fall (probably couldn't get into Duke, Atticus! 😁 ), and he was telling me how they are learning about NIL stuff as she has had a number of offers. So if swimmers are getting that is any of that out there for T&F???

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    Saw that an okay Miami guard transfer was given a two-year NIL deal for 800k + perks!! And now he's got an unhappy teammate.

😄

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Retired NBA player J.R. Smith, who went to the NBA straight from high school in 2004, started college at NC A&T last fall at age 36 and joined their golf team as a walk-on. Now he has a NIL deal related to golf.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/...ith-lululemon/

You might be wondering how he was eligible to do that? He never went to college before or during his NBA career, so his 5-year eligibility clock hadn't started ticking until he enrolled as a freshman last year. And since years before the recent NIL ruling, the NCAA has allowed athletes who go pro in one sport to retain eligibility for other sports.
    Last edited by 18.99s; 04-19-2022, 09:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
    She was not doing any of that at Texas Relays where she finished 8th in the final... but that was last year.
    With sprint hurdle PRs of 13.28 and 8.25, she can only do that in smaller meets (i.e. where she can win).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X