Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

positive weed test for Richardson (split)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Track78 View Post

Actually on second thought, it's not the timing of the positive and race, it's the fact that she tested positive on that day and so that wipes out her results/placings from the trials, making her ineligible for the 100m. It's like she never placed first at trials.
    But doesn't USATF have a rule that you have to be on the Olympic team in order to run in a relay at the Olympics?

If Richardson's results at the Trials in the 100 are wiped out, that means she isn't an Olympian, and therefore isn't eligible for the relay.

Comment

• This is a massive Massive MASSIVE hit for Track and Field in the US and in the world. I was driving down La Brea blvd in Los Angeles city today, and I saw a mural of SCR on the side of a building. Meaning someone painted over a Kobe Bryant mural for SCR. I couldn't believe it. A track runner more popular than Kobe in LA.

SCR is the second most popular track athlete in the world behind Usain Bolt now on Instagram. She was (is?) the next HUGE thing for our sport.

With the Namibian athletes getting banned, and now Richardson, we are one journalist with a bent away from a PR disaster. I understand why SCR is being banned, but if our sport leaders have an ounce of sense they need to find any technicality to get her in at the Olympic games.

Comment

• And now major athletes in other sports are tweeting about the news. I've seen Dwyane Wade and Damian Lillard voice their thoughts on Twitter. It'll be a busy morning in sports media in the morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jshapco2 View Post
          This is a massive Massive MASSIVE hit for Track and Field in the US and in the world. I was driving down La Brea blvd in Los Angeles city today, and I saw a mural of SCR on the side of a building. Meaning someone painted over a Kobe Bryant mural for SCR. I couldn't believe it. A track runner more popular than Kobe in LA.

SCR is the second most popular track athlete in the world behind Usain Bolt now on Instagram. She was (is?) the next HUGE thing for our sport.

With the Namibian athletes getting banned, and now Richardson, we are one journalist with a bent away from a PR disaster. I understand why SCR is being banned, but if our sport leaders have an ounce of sense they need to find any technicality to get her in at the Olympic games.
          Well, it depends on how you look at it. If she hadn't tested positive, how many times would major media outlets have mentioned Sha'Carri Richardson in the next month? A few times, but not that many.

Now lots of people in the media (and not just in sports media) are going to be talking about her and her suspension, because the idea of the fastest woman in the US being banned from the Olympics for weed is good for ratings.

Richardson is going to get a lot of exposure that she wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Maybe it will actually boost ratings for track and field in the Olympics.

Comment

• On the heals of a fantastic US Olympic Trials, hours after Karsten Warholm breaks a storied track record, this might be a triumphant moment for the sport. Instead the news is SCR testing positive for weed. It’s everywhere now in MSM. This is myopic track and field governance failing to bring its rules into the 21st century, Granted she should not have allowed herself to be in a position to lose her eligibility, But track and field looks alternatively ridiculous for an inane policy, and oppressive for inflicting that policy on an emerging new star.. It’s a terrible look, and a black eye for track.
            Last edited by effable; 07-02-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

• This is substantially a USA own goal because of its century long war against cannabis and other drugs: Here is some background on why this happened: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harry-a...marijuana-ban/

This war was doomed to failure but the USA was extemely succesful in ensuring its internal approach was eventually implemented by many countries around the world and this pervasive "drugs are bad, mkay" attitude around the world was the primary driver for the moralistic and paternalistic approach to non-PEDs implemented by WADA.

As many have pointed out, it's hard to see cannabis as performance enhancing when you compare WADA's mealy mouthed "maybe, could, possibly assist" explanation against the existing research. Here's a useful overview article for those interested:

https://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed..._of_the.9.aspx

For those that think sensible decriminalisation would be the end of civilisation as we know it, here's a list of relevevant Australian and international references showing that's not the case:

https://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/sites/...029%202018.pdf

Comment

• Well this totally sucks.

This is about pot, really?

Comment

• Originally posted by RunningInCircles View Post

Well, it depends on how you look at it. If she hadn't tested positive, how many times would major media outlets have mentioned Sha'Carri Richardson in the next month? A few times, but not that many.

I would guess somewhere between 50 and 250. Remember that NBC will be pushing her and the twitter following would mean that media outlets would pay attention. If it is marijuana her reputation will not be trashed.

Comment

This is a massive Massive MASSIVE hit for Track and Field in the US and in the world.

I agree, a huge disappointment, if true. Vlike everyone, i was looking forward to the SCR / SAFP / ETh / DAS showdown.

But get real. A massive hit in world. Hardly.

2nd most popular TnF athlete in the world? Not on your nelly. The world is actually bigger than the borders of the USA.

IMO, at best, 3rd modt popular female athlete in the UDA behind SF and SM

Comment

• I think most posters on here (understandably) are taking a very US centric view on cannabis. "what, it's only weed?!". I don't disagree, but there are many, many countries that view cannabis as a much bigger deal, as rightly illegal or banned, and in some cases, evil.

Whatever our personal thoughts are on the matter, it IS on the banned list. So. Don't. Freakin. Take. It. Simple.

There is also another interesting side to this: It may not be physically performance enhancing, but it might help someone's mental state. If you're hyped and tense and feeling the pressure of expectation, a joint just might help you settle down. One could see that as 'performance enhancing'. Mental state is key to elite performance.

Considering The Games begin in 4 weeks, I don't know how her case could be rushed through, even if she got the minimum 30 days. She's out of the Olympics, surely.

Comment

• Originally posted by booond View Post

Hey, Mr. June 2021, neither do I. Weed isn't a PED. And tomorrow it should be removed.
                        One of the primary reasons marijuana is there in the first place has been the staunch US attitude at the highest Government 1600 Pennsylvania levels to punish severely users of marijuana.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

I agree, a huge disappointment, if true. Vlike everyone, i was looking forward to the SCR / SAFP / ETh / DAS showdown.

But get real. A massive hit in world. Hardly.

2nd most popular TnF athlete in the world? Not on your nelly. The world is actually bigger than the borders of the USA.

IMO, at best, 3rd modt popular female athlete in the UDA behind SF and SM
                          She is the 2nd most popular track and field athlete on Instagram. Which is the most popular social media platform right now, especially with youth. The 100m race is also the race most TF fans and passing fans pay attention to. People that post here are the die-hards. If we want our sport to be healthy we need mass appeal, for mass appeal we need super stars. So yes its a huge hit in and outside of the USA.

Comment

She is the 2nd most popular track and field athlete on Instagram. Which is the most popular social media platform right now, especially with youth. The 100m race is also the race most TF fans and passing fans pay attention to. People that post here are the die-hards. If we want our sport to be healthy we need mass appeal, for mass appeal we need super stars. So yes its a huge hit in and outside of the USA.
                            I am pretty sure that almost no one in NZ, Australia, China, Russia and most countries in the world have any idea who is she is. Outside of die hard TnF fans she is basically unknown.

I don't think her Instagram ratings are particularly high compared to really popular sports people.

SCR has never won anything, and now (sadly) she isn't going to win anything this year.

​​

Comment

She gained her followers on Instagram after the US Trials, which were not shown in most countries, so one assumes her follows on that platform are mainly from the USA.

Now, I will speak for my country: It doesn't matter how many followers she had on Instagram after the US Trials, non-hardcore fans will not have heard of any athlete until they're either shown on the BBC or in the mainstream press. She ran in Gateshead, which was a televised meet, so people are starting to be aware of her, but she definitely isn't as recognisable as other names. DAS is MASSIVELY bigger than Sha'Carri here, of course she is; she's British, she's reigning World Champ, she's on TV adverts. So is KJT, Mo - even though he isn't running - and probably Laura Muir (again, TV adverts for Yoghurt). People here are still much more aware and familiar with SAFP as well as Dafne Schippers. Outside of the British girls (DAS, KJT, Muir), SAFP and Schippers will get the big cheers and news articles in the UK.
                              So, I TOTALLY disagree that Richardson is right up there as one of the most popular and recognisable athletes internationally. The USA, maybe, but not in my country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiederganger View Post

She gained her followers on Instagram after the US Trials, which were not shown in most countries, so one assumes her follows on that platform are mainly from the USA.

Now, I will speak for my country: It doesn't matter how many followers she had on Instagram after the US Trials, non-hardcore fans will not have heard of any athlete until they're either shown on the BBC or in the mainstream press. She ran in Gateshead, which was a televised meet, so people are starting to be aware of her, but she definitely isn't as recognisable as other names. DAS is MASSIVELY bigger than Sha'Carri here, of course she is; she's British, she's reigning World Champ, she's on TV adverts. So is KJT, Mo - even though he isn't running - and probably Laura Muir (again, TV adverts for Yoghurt). People here are still much more aware and familiar with SAFP as well as Dafne Schippers. Outside of the British girls (DAS, KJT, Muir), SAFP and Schippers will get the big cheers and news articles in the UK.
                                So, I TOTALLY disagree that Richardson is right up there as one of the most popular and recognisable athletes internationally. The USA, maybe, but not in my country.
                                Yup I hear it. Makes sense. However if she won the Olympics I think this would be a different story. Doesn't matter now. Like most of you guys here I just want our sport to be healthy long term. What a waste. How many fans did we lose because TF is the sport where if you "eat a burrito or smoke marijuana" and you miss the Olympics. I know its not that simple....but its been a strange few weeks. Hopefully no more major upsets before the games begin.

Comment

Working...
                                X