Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

positive weed test for Richardson (split)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blues View Post
    I'm late to the party so I didn't read all 41 pages of posts, so forgive me if I don't understand... Are you saying that everyone feels that there should be no bans on in-competition marijuana use at all?
    Nope. But there can be some sanity in the amounts detected and the punishment given. The punishment (miss the OG) here did not fit the crime.

Comment

I'm late to the party so I didn't read all 41 pages of posts, so forgive me if I don't understand... Are you saying that everyone feels that there should be no bans on in-competition marijuana use at all?
      i wouldn't say there's 100% agreement on that statement, but that sums up the feeling of the vast majority of respondents I think (including at least 3 MDs)

Comment

• As for the joke that water could be defined as a PED, Hyponatremia, is a real dangerous threat for many.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Nope. But there can be some sanity in the amounts detected and the punishment given. The punishment (miss the OG) here did not fit the crime.
          There is sanity in the level detected...150 ng/mL is a very high level. It use to be 15 ng/mL, which is 3 times what many states consider as driving impaired...

The reason why I couldn't find a recent similar case, though I wouldn't be surprised many athletes partake occasionally. It was not uncommon with the crowd I knew when I trained seriously.

Richardson seems more of very bad timing of the test.
          Last edited by Conor Dary; 07-05-2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
            As for the joke that water could be defined as a PED, Hyponatremia, is a real dangerous threat for many.
            As bambam noted.

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
            So by these criteria, water could be banned. We know if you hydrate better, you perform better. Yet, we also know you can over-hydrate and people have died from that, by causing hyponatremia and cerebral edema. So water violates 2 of the 3 criteria and should be banned by WADA’s rules.

Comment

As bambam noted.

Very good...

Comment

I don't feel that way at all - I think marijuana should be banned while you're competing. You should not be allowed to be smoking it while running or pole vaulting.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I don't feel that way at all - I think marijuana should be banned while you're competing. You should not be allowed to be smoking it while running or pole vaulting.
                  But if you are high on pot and running a distance event it would seem to take longer. It therefore should be treated like running into a gale force headwind.

Comment

• Originally posted by gh View Post

i wouldn't say there's 100% agreement on that statement, but that sums up the feeling of the vast majority of respondents I think (including at least 3 MDs)
                    Thanks. But I don't get it... I would think that there could be a risk of impaired motor skills, and possibly impaired judgement, at certain blood levels of THC, that might pose a risk to the performance and success of other athletes in the same event.... So if there were no restrictions on the use of marijuana in-competition, will there be other measures in place to prevent that from happening?
                    Last edited by Blues; 07-05-2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Agreed (somewhat). But the harsh punishment of missing the Olympic 100m was her own fault for choosing to use a banned substance at the Olympic trials.

The vast majority of other athletes who are sanctioned for cannabinoids don't end up missing a huge international meet because of it. If she wasn't who she is, and if she didn't use the banned drug at the Olympic Trials which affected her Olympic qualifying, I'm not sure that many of us would be so upset about the WADA rules. And it's not an ethical option to make an exception to the rules for her because of who she is, or because her sanction happens to affect her Olympic participation.
                      Last edited by Blues; 07-05-2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

So by these criteria, water could be banned. We know if you hydrate better, you perform better. Yet, we also know you can over-hydrate and people have died from that, by causing hyponatremia and cerebral edema. So water violates 2 of the 3 criteria and should be banned by WADA’s rules.
                        Then again, because we would die without it, every person on earth would be entitled to a TUE for water!

Comment

There are people (outside of this forum) who think the opposite. They think the punishment is too lenient, and suspension should be longer.

They think this is yet another indication that the United States is a rogue state like Russia and China who will cut any corner to win more medals.

(For the record, I do NOT agree with this view.)

Comment

• Another simplistic solution: Do not smoke/chew/swallow/massage/bathe in cannabis products before during or after competition. Ever. Also alcohol/coffee/tea to be safe. Dr Pepper is OK. Or Pepsi. Coke questionable.

Comment

As one of the tiny minority of weed-haters here, I feel the same way about it as I do alcohol. Don't come drunk/stoned, but knock yourself out (literally) the night before, in the privacy of your home.
                              I've had way too many bad experiences as a Navy Officer for 20 years, having to deal with the consequences of people who can't handle one or both of them - to be sanguine about the subject.

Comment

As one of the tiny minority of weed-haters here, I feel the same way about it as I do alcohol. Don't come drunk/stoned, but knock yourself out (literally) the night before, in the privacy of your home.
                                I've had way too many bad experiences as a Navy Officer for 20 years, having to deal with the consequences of people who can't handle one or both of them - to be sanguine about the subject.
                                I've also seen my share of the negative effects that marijuana abuse can have on some people. And I can also think of several people who I've seen when they were wasted that I definitely wouldn't want running in a lane next to me..

Comment

Working...
                                X