Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

positive weed test for Richardson (split)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

Comparing Richardson's weed-smoking to Muhammad Ali taking the most principled political and moral stance that any athlete has ever taken is probably the silliest thing anyone has ever posted on this board. You shouldn't even say Ali's name any more if you're going to use it in such a blasphemous way.
    My comparison was not with the individual athletes but the over the top reaction to a relatively minor harmless act.

Comment

• Originally posted by beebee View Post

Rose and Hourning were suspended for betting on actual games...a major no no for any sport's credibility. Way different.
      I agree with this. Would you agree that Brady and Richardson got the same punishment (a month) for similarly trivial offenses?

Comment

Comparing Richardson's weed-smoking to Muhammad Ali taking the most principled political and moral stance that any athlete has ever taken is probably the silliest thing anyone has ever posted on this board. You shouldn't even say Ali's name any more if you're going to use it in such a blasphemous way.
        Btw, Ali had it far easier than Jack Johnson.

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay) never had his gold medal taken away. Neither did Tommie Smith or John Carlos (silver) although you'll read that in the media frequently.
          *bronze

Sorry, more pedantic than I normally would be, but just can't resist an opportunity to correct bambam on Oly trivia!

Comment

I agree with this. Would you agree that Brady and Richardson got the same punishment (a month) for similarly trivial offenses?
            Tom Brady would have to pull an O.J. to be banned from the Super Bowl.

Comment

The Thorpe comparison is valid though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Merner521 View Post

The Thorpe comparison is valid though.
                Maybe, but I'm not so sure... Jim Thorpe made 2 to 5 bucks a game in a semi-pro baseball league two or three years before the 1912 Olympics, and always claimed that he wasn't aware that it could affect his Olympic track and field eligibility... Did Sha'Carri Richardson also have no clue that getting high on weed shortly before her Olympic Trials events might cause a problem? I would also think that she may have had a little bit better access to information regarding specific rules and regulations 109 years later...
                Last edited by Blues; 07-07-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

*bronze

Sorry, more pedantic than I normally would be, but just can't resist an opportunity to correct bambam on Oly trivia!
                  No, you're right- I goofed on Carlos

Comment

My comparison was not with the individual athletes but the over the top reaction to a relatively minor harmless act.
                    It was not an over the top reaction. She gave them no choice.

She broke rules and she given a minimum punishment for doing so.

​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuariki View Post

It was not an over the top reaction. She gave them no choice.

She broke rules and she given a minimum punishment for doing so.

​​​​
                      And she has shown maximum grace and maturity in her response to dealing with this and the death of a mother, all in how many days? I just watched an interview and she is impossible not to adore. No excuses, no dramatics, calmly apologized to family and fans, and able to bring the most positive perspective to everything : No Tokyo? "I'm only 21, there will be more Games, and this is the last time (for a while) that the US will not come home with the gold medal."

Comment

• Originally posted by 1.609 View Post

And she has shown maximum grace and maturity in her response to dealing with this and the death of a mother, all in how many days? I just watched an interview and she is impossible not to adore. No excuses, no dramatics, calmly apologized to family and fans, and able to bring the most positive perspective to everything : No Tokyo? "I'm only 21, there will be more Games, and this is the last time (for a while) that the US will not come home with the gold medal."
                        No argument from me on way she has handled herself. One can only admire the way she has conducted herself.

And so I hope she can do really well post Tokyo.

Comment

*bronze

I reckon. Now I am jealous that you got this opportunity

Comment

Poor analogy...Lewis failed to make the 100 team in 96.
                            To me this is why track and field remains a minor league sport in the U.S. This young woman was not only extremely talented but she generated enormous interest from fans who only causally watched T&F...A golden opportunity to grow the sport. No way would any of the four major U.S. sports not defend and protect its Human Resources ...
                            this public relations disaster is arrogant and stupid. Any member of the current U.S. Women's 100 team will be lucky to make the final.
                            MLB turned a blind eye to certain issues with McGuire and Sosa back in 1998. Great move, right? Who would want to ruin the Maris Chase?

Comment

• Olympian Gabby Thomas says Black boycott of games ‘really hurts’ (yahoo.com)

“We want your support,” Olympian Gabby Thomas wrote regarding the upcoming Olympics

Olympian Gabby Thomasis speaking out and calling for support for Black athletes gearing up to compete in Tokyo this summer.

“It really hurts to see so many black people choosing not to watch the Olympics this year,” Thomas tweeted on Tuesday.

This comes in response to people saying they would boycott the Tokyo Olympics after sprinter Sha’Carri Richardsonwas controversially banned from the games due to a positive test for marijuana.

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
                                MLB turned a blind eye to certain issues with McGuire and Sosa back in 1998. Great move, right? Who would want to ruin the Maris Chase?
                                Are you saying that weed is a PED? If not I don't get your point.

Comment

Working...
                                X