Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

positive weed test for Richardson (split)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by guru View Post
    Victor Conte weighs in on Richardsonhttps://sports.yahoo.com/sha-carri-r...095505277.html
    Certainly NOT worth listening to. But I love the introduction:

    Today’s guest columnist is Victor Conte, founder and CEO of SNAC System, Inc., a nutrition company and training facility for more than 20 current or former world champion boxers.
    Oh, that's right - that's why I've heard of him!!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Certainly NOT worth listening to.
      In this case he is spot on . . .


      Comment


      • Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
        In this case he is spot on . . .

        Disagree. I think the article, in order to serve its agenda, makes some non-accurate statements or unwarranted comparisons (at least for this case).. And the drug is still an illicit substance in the vast majority of the world for beliefs that it can be harmful. Harmful + illegal could be considered to equate to the 2 necessary criteria for banning a substance in competition, without even considering performance enhancement properties.

        I don't object to having high levels of marijuana metabolites banned during competitions at this time, but I think that maybe USATF should incorporate an emergency clause into Olympic Team selection rules that would allow selection of an athlete to the Olympic team for special circumstances.... Or, maybe better, change the qualifying rules to something like top 2 at trials plus one more chosen based on a point system of multiple recent results, etc, which would solve issues like are being encountered with Ms. RIchardson (although it may cause different issues..) (Weightlifting uses a point system based on multiple meets to choose its Olympians....)

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Blues View Post
          I don't object to having high levels of marijuana metabolites banned during competitions at this time, but I think that maybe USATF should incorporate an emergency clause into Olympic Team selection rules that would allow selection of an athlete to the Olympic team for special circumstances.... Or, maybe better, change the qualifying rules to something like top 2 at trials plus one more chosen based on a point system of multiple recent results, etc, which would solve issues like are being encountered with Ms. RIchardson (although it may cause different issues..) (Weightlifting uses a point system based on multiple meets to choose its Olympians....)
          For the umpteenth time, the right time to change those rules is NOT after the trials.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Blues View Post
            I don't object to having high levels of marijuana metabolites banned during competitions at this time, but I think that maybe USATF should incorporate an emergency clause into Olympic Team selection rules that would allow selection of an athlete to the Olympic team for special circumstances.... Or, maybe better, change the qualifying rules to something like top 2 at trials plus one more chosen based on a point system of multiple recent results, etc, which would solve issues like are being encountered with Ms. RIchardson (although it may cause different issues..) (Weightlifting uses a point system based on multiple meets to choose its Olympians....)
            Bringing politics into the selection process is going to do a lot more harm than good.
            Last edited by jazzcyclist; 07-16-2021, 08:44 PM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TN1965 View Post
              For the umpteenth time, the right time to change those rules is NOT after the trials.
              Sorry that I wasn't clear. Of course I don't think that changing the USA Olympic track and field qualifying rules now, to rectify or address this particular issue, is appropriate or fair. I was referring to possibly changing them sometime in the future, even the distant future, so that there might be a future contingency plan for unusual situations.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Blues View Post

                .... but I think that maybe USATF should incorporate an emergency clause into Olympic Team selection rules that would allow selection of an athlete to the Olympic team for special circumstances....
                A great recipe for lawyer revenue in representing mutitudes of athletes going to court who think they have been unfairly shafted

                Originally posted by Blues View Post
                .... Or, maybe better, change the qualifying rules to something like top 2 at trials plus one more chosen based on a point system of multiple recent results, etc, which would solve issues like are being encountered with Ms. RIchardson (although it may cause different issues..) (Weightlifting uses a point system based on multiple meets to choose its Olympians....)
                Why complicate a system that works?

                With the huge numbers of qualifying athletes, the US system currently in place is the only workable fair system.

                And weightlifting is not even close to being an appropriate analogy
                ​​​​​​.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                  Bringing politics into the selection process is going to a lot more harm than good.
                  Understood... But most other sports don't use a one and done trials meet format like track and field, right?. Athletes are selected in other ways in many sports (often by necessity as in team sports), or else there are contingency plans involving certain criteria that may allow a top athlete to still make the Olympic team even if they don't qualify in the trials meet, like in gymnastics.

                  Comment


                  • I support the current system of selecting athletes in the US. It seems to be the most imminently fair, and relatively free of politics.

                    Comment


                    • This discussion has been going on for decades.... the present system works fine.

                      Gymnastics has so many problems...hardly the place to look for a model.

                      Comment


                      • I agree with all of you who are saying that the current method of USATF Olympic team selection is comparably free of politics and probably results in a lot less grievances and lawsuits... What I don't like is that if something crazy happens (like, for example, a current world record holder getting tripped well into a trials race by no fault of his or her own, or a current USA top ranked athlete getting a severe acute illness right before the trials, or any number of other unforeseen and unavoidable unfortunate situations, etc, etc, etc), there's no option for the involved athlete to still make the Olympic team and compete, even if he or she may be the consensus best in the nation or best in the world.

                        If the USATF Olympic selection process has to be the way that it currently is forever, fine... I guess I'm just kinda tired of so many US media stories hammering WADA (primarily because of the Sha'Carri RIchardson situation), for having an in-competition ban on relatively high levels of THC metabolites, and for the media stories and opinions also hammering USATF for not ignoring the rules to allow her to compete in the Olympics despite her sanctions.... And unfortunately, more than a few of the stories and opinions in the media often don't have all of their facts straight.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

                          Gymnastics has so many problems...hardly the place to look for a model.
                          So you're saying that gymnastics has so many problems in their Olympic selection process? (which is the only thing about gymnastics being discussed)... If that's not what you're saying, then your comment would seem to be a straw man argument.
                          Last edited by Blues; 07-16-2021, 08:48 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Blues View Post

                            Understood... But most other sports don't use a one and done trials meet format like track and field, right?. Athletes are selected in other ways in many sports (often by necessity as in team sports), or else there are contingency plans involving certain criteria that may allow a top athlete to still make the Olympic team even if they don't qualify in the trials meet, like in gymnastics.
                            Aside from swimming and cycling, there are no other sports in which performances are judged as objectively as they are in track and field.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Blues View Post

                              So you're saying that gymnastics has so many problems in their Olympic selection process? (which is the only thing about gymnastics being discussed)... If that's not what you're saying, then your comment would seem to be a straw man argument.
                              The system is not going to change....end of story.

                              Comment


                              • What I don't like is that if something crazy happens (like, for example, a current world record holder getting tripped well into a trials race by no fault of his or her own, or a current USA top ranked athlete getting a severe acute illness right before the trials, or any number of other unforeseen and unavoidable unfortunate situations, etc, etc, etc), there's no option for the involved athlete to still make the Olympic team and compete, even if he or she may be the consensus best in the nation or best in the world.

                                Such examples have happened several times already in the past......that's the way it goes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X