Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess it was only fitting that the person who kept Cavendish from breaking Mercks's record was Wout van Aert, another Belgian and all-around cyclist, who is cut from the same mold as Mercks. I didn't think it was possible in 2021 for one man to win at Mont Ventoux, an ITT and on the Champs Elysees in a drag race/bunch sprint.

Comment

The sprint was a bit disorganized at the end...

Cavendish just had no room to pass.

Comment

Yep, I'm sure Cavendish didn't plan to enter the finishing straight with Morkov on his wheel. Quickstep didn't have the firepower to control the race all by themselves, with no other teams having much incentive to help them keep the race together. I think moving the finish line 300m affected the tactics also.

Comment

After that disgraceful scene with his team mechanic Friday I was glad to see Cavendish denied passing Merckx. van Aert earned it, with just three teammates left to help today.
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Anyone know how many riders have won a mountain stage, a flat/sprint stage, and a time trial in one Tour, or even in their career?
            Last edited by DrJay; 07-19-2021, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay View Post
              Anyone know how many riders have won a mountain stage, flat/sprint stage, and a time trial in one Tour, or even in their career?
              I doubt that anyone else has done it since Merckx. My history is lacking before him other than being able to list a handful of the great cyclists before him.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

I doubt that anyone else has done it since Merckx. My history is lacking before him other than being able to list a handful of the great cyclists before him.
                Hinault did it in 1979 - won 7 stages that year - 4 time trials, 1 mountain stage, 2 flat stages
                Last edited by bambam1729; 07-19-2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Hinault did it in 1979 - won 7 stages that year - 4 time trials, 1 mountain stage, 2 flat stages
                  Were the flat stages bunch sprints like yesterday?

Comment

Not really.... though there was a battle for third here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6toi9X1t3Z4

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      Not really.... though there was a battle for third here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6toi9X1t3Z4
                      That's what I suspected. It's common for GC riders to win mountain stages and time trials but winning a drag race on the Champs Elysees with the Green jersey sitting on your wheel is a whole different matter.

Comment

That's what I suspected. It's common for GC riders to win mountain stages and time trials but winning a drag race on the Champs Elysees with the Green jersey sitting on your wheel is a whole different matter.
                        The idea of the sprinter was not a thing until the 80s, I think, with Davis Phinney on 7/11.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

The idea of the sprinter was not a thing until the 80s, I think, with Davis Phinney on 7/11.
                          Eddy Merckx won the yellow and green jersey 3 times and Bernard Hinault did it once. Merckx won the yellow, green, and polka dot jersey once.

Comment

Originally posted by schigh View Post

Eddy Merckx won the yellow and green jersey 3 times and Bernard Hinault did it once. Merckx won the yellow, green, and polka dot jersey once.
                            Actually one year Merckx won yellow, green and polka-dot. That has only been done one other time at a Grand Tour - any ideas who that was and in what Grand Tour?

Comment

Listening to the French commentary on that 1979 race I thought I heard a familiar name.

Hinault crossed the line about a bike length ahead of Zoetemelk and about two and half minutes later the bunch sprint began for 3rd place with Dietrich Thurau edging out Jacques Bossis and Paul Sherwen.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Actually one year Merckx won yellow, green and polka-dot. That has only been done one other time at a Grand Tour - any ideas who that was and in what Grand Tour?
                                Giro and Fausto Coppi?

Comment

Working...
                                X