X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

Actually there were a few before Phinney - Patrick Sercu in the early 60s rode in the peloton and was an Olympic sprint champion back in 1964. Rudi Altig - a German pursuiter originally became a prominent sprinter in the peloton.
    Sercu actually became best known as a pro cyclist for 6-day races. Go figure on that one.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

The idea of the sprinter was not a thing until the 80s, I think, with Davis Phinney on 7/11.
    Actually there were a few before Phinney - Patrick Sercu in the early 60s rode in the peloton and was an Olympic sprint champion back in 1964. Rudi Altig - a German pursuiter originally became a prominent sprinter in the peloton.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

No, I don't think they had all 3 jerseys in the Giro when Coppi was riding. It was Tony Rominger who did it one year in the Vuelta a Espana
    Doh! I knew that but for some reason my mind drew a blank. Wasn't it 1994?

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by guru View Post

The Tour dropped its lawsuit but she still faces two criminal charges.

Woman who caused infamous Tour pileup goes to trial on criminal charges Thursday.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/opi...b0rNmajsXFQdw4

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by steve View Post
    Giro and Fausto Coppi?
    No, I don't think they had all 3 jerseys in the Giro when Coppi was riding. It was Tony Rominger who did it one year in the Vuelta a Espana

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied

Actually one year Merckx won yellow, green and polka-dot. That has only been done one other time at a Grand Tour - any ideas who that was and in what Grand Tour?
    Giro and Fausto Coppi?

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
    That's what I suspected. It's common for GC riders to win mountain stages and time trials but winning a drag race on the Champs Elysees with the Green jersey sitting on your wheel is a whole different matter.
    Listening to the French commentary on that 1979 race I thought I heard a familiar name.

Hinault crossed the line about a bike length ahead of Zoetemelk and about two and half minutes later the bunch sprint began for 3rd place with Dietrich Thurau edging out Jacques Bossis and Paul Sherwen.

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied
    Originally posted by schigh View Post

Eddy Merckx won the yellow and green jersey 3 times and Bernard Hinault did it once. Merckx won the yellow, green, and polka dot jersey once.
    Actually one year Merckx won yellow, green and polka-dot. That has only been done one other time at a Grand Tour - any ideas who that was and in what Grand Tour?

Leave a comment:

• schigh
    replied

The idea of the sprinter was not a thing until the 80s, I think, with Davis Phinney on 7/11.
    Eddy Merckx won the yellow and green jersey 3 times and Bernard Hinault did it once. Merckx won the yellow, green, and polka dot jersey once.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    That's what I suspected. It's common for GC riders to win mountain stages and time trials but winning a drag race on the Champs Elysees with the Green jersey sitting on your wheel is a whole different matter.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Not really.... though there was a battle for third here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6toi9X1t3Z4

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Not really.... though there was a battle for third here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6toi9X1t3Z4

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied

Hinault did it in 1979 - won 7 stages that year - 4 time trials, 1 mountain stage, 2 flat stages
    Were the flat stages bunch sprints like yesterday?

Leave a comment:

• bambam1729
    replied

I doubt that anyone else has done it since Merckx. My history is lacking before him other than being able to list a handful of the great cyclists before him.
    Hinault did it in 1979 - won 7 stages that year - 4 time trials, 1 mountain stage, 2 flat stages
    Last edited by bambam1729; 07-19-2021, 09:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay View Post
    Anyone know how many riders have won a mountain stage, flat/sprint stage, and a time trial in one Tour, or even in their career?
    I doubt that anyone else has done it since Merckx. My history is lacking before him other than being able to list a handful of the great cyclists before him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X