Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is There a Football 40-yard Dash Equivalent for NHL on Ice?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There a Football 40-yard Dash Equivalent for NHL on Ice?

Thought about speed skating - most of those short-track skaters hit 100m in under 10,00 seconds.

Is there a comparative 100m sprint on skates NHL prospects undergo which can be compared to a 40-yard dash on the track? Who is the "fastest" NHL skater - a person who can break away quickly and get from A-Z quickest?

Central Scouting evaluates for speed but I don't know the distance. Guessing but the fastest F is probably Paul Kariya, D Scott Neidermayer. In their day P. Bure and A.Mogilny were pretty quick also.

Comment

I guess Cindy Klassen is one of the fastest hockey players of all time. She tried out for the Canadian Women's National Team in 1998 but was cut.

As far as the hockey equivalent of the 40 yeard dash, the NHL has a skills competition during the All-Star break and the fastest skater is determined by timing one lap around the rink. Scott Niedermayer, Marion Gaborik, Sami Kapanen, Bill Geuren and Peter Bondra have been the most recent winners. Winning times have varied because of the different rink configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
        Winning times have varied because of the different rink configurations.
        Are not all NHL rinks a given standard size? If not, do some teams have smaller rinks than do others?

Comment

The rinks are a standard length and width but the the radii of corners can vary from rink to rink. The ice surface in the old Boston Gardens was the regulation width but was 185' in length while I believe it was 200' in most of the other rinks.

Comment

Working...
          X